Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58272 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #480 on: November 20, 2015, 07:34:00 pm »

I don't know, that's what I think most Euroballers are like. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
say that to my face m8

you in the wrong station get off

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »

I don't know, that's what I think most Euroballers are like. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
say that to my face m8

you in the wrong station get off
go burn down a couple more of your own cities tory

i hear the manchester whasthefucks didn't pray guinness on every fake injury last game
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2015, 10:30:55 pm »

go burn down a couple more of your own cities tory

i hear the manchester whasthefucks didn't pray guinness on every fake injury last game
nice actin m8 get an oscar for it

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 21, 2015, 10:16:46 am »

Or maybe this is the equivalent of neonazi football fans, which I don't think are usually considered to indicate common opinions.

From what I understand, that all happened during halftime or after the match, when tensions were running high and people were hyped or depressed. Even at that, it does reflect badly on the locals that attended. The Turkish one was before the start of the game, during a time dedicated to the fallen. If people started booing the American national Anthem during a...soccer...match, I think you would see it as indicative of some form of ill feeling among the local populous, not just restricted to the football stage. As it is, Americans don't boo the National Anthem. The Turkish do boo the minute silence.

Edit: Also, just read this about a Neo-Nazi thingumy.
Dortmund is a football city, but it's also a stronghold for right-wing extremists. In 2000, neo-Nazi Michael Berger shot and killed three police officers in Dortmund and nearby Waltrop, before turning the gun on himself. Dortmund reported the largest number of crimes committed by right-wing extremists in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia: 131 in the first half of 2012. The aid organization Back Up currently attends to the needs of 30 victims of right-wing extremist violence in Dortmund.

There are neo-Nazi residential communities near the university. Oberdorstfeld, a former miners' district, is now home to entire skinhead neighborhoods, seemingly idyllic with their playgrounds and flowerbeds graced with garden gnomes.

At the very least it shows problems in that city. And if it's a problem in one city, why not others?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:23:50 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 21, 2015, 10:55:35 am »

I watched a really good doco on Al jazera and it was about daesh, it had kids (teens) nervously talking about bombing themselves and they also said things like "when we grow up" its sad that such an uneducated ignorant bunch of bandit raiders can actually have a foot hold in the worlds media. I could claim it was my plan and you wouldnt believe me but im sure you have thought it was Daesh or Alqueda or such, it was damaged broken individuals that found eachother and attacked a nation that isnt excactly a good nation. Every body has got their hands in creating tensions through the world and creating extremist groups and play the woe is me card.
Remember that propoganda kills. Remember that Daesh didnt exsist before the invasion.
The loss of life should have been avoided but its not suprising that people died. Wow only 150+ died. What about all the iraq afgans syrians all the countrys that america, britian, russia, israel, france, australia, china etc have killed. Its a massive number.
But sure most media will tell you to feel for a couple of hundred french but not for hundreds of thousands of middle easterns.
Like said propoganda kills.
I wonder how many bombs france dropped killed innocents, and how many innocents.
We all fuel this world war, the question is.
Do you feel moraly justified to allow it to continue.

Thank you for letting me speak
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 21, 2015, 02:08:24 pm »

And Brussels in on high alert over fears of a terrorist attack. Apparently there's something credible enough for the police to take preventative measures.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 21, 2015, 02:11:51 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Al-Qaeda, Taleban, ISIS etc. are the kind of bunch thats safe to turn the other cheek to. They cannot be negotiated with. Unfortunately, as you mention, fighting them also produces more good soil for their radical, violent view of world to grow in. Its a catch 22 where violence produces more violence. Even forced peace and re-occupation of Syria and Iraq by Western armed forces would perhaps just add more fuel to the fire in the short run.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 21, 2015, 02:22:36 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Al-Qaeda, Taleban, ISIS etc. are the kind of bunch thats safe to turn the other cheek to. They cannot be negotiated with. Unfortunately, as you mention, fighting them also produces more good soil for their radical, violent view of world to grow in. Its a catch 22 where violence produces more violence. Even forced peace and re-occupation of Syria and Iraq by Western armed forces would perhaps just add more fuel to the fire in the short run.
You know, there was a time when jihadists weren't a terrorist threat to anyone outside their local area of habitat. And it wasn't very back in the past, too - only 50 years ago!

Something tells me that it was not because modern jihadists are somehow inherently different from jihadists of back then. Maybe you should try to learn something about history of the region to understand how to keep the lid on jihadist threat.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

You know, there was a time when jihadists weren't a terrorist threat to anyone outside their local area of habitat. And it wasn't very back in the past, too - only 50 years ago!

Something tells me that it was not because modern jihadists are somehow inherently different from jihadists of back then. Maybe you should try to learn something about history of the region to understand how to keep the lid on jihadist threat.

Maybe you should study European history since 50s years ago and see what has happened to means of transportation and the national borders... Starting from the NATO - Warsaw Pact one. Basically, they've hated West since the Turks left, except Saudis, because they're batshit rich swimming in oil even when they're basically what ISIS would be should they succeed in Syria and Iraq.

Also Jihadists arent now and havent yet been an existential threat to any nation in Europe. Quite unlike what they are and have been in places such as the various African nations like Somalia, Sudan etc. plus of course Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and so forth in the Middle East.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 21, 2015, 03:01:57 pm »

Maybe you should study European history since 50s years ago and see what has happened to means of transportation and the national borders... Starting from the NATO - Warsaw Pact one. Basically, they've hated West since the Turks left, except Saudis, because they're batshit rich swimming in oil even when they're basically what ISIS would be should they succeed in Syria and Iraq.

Also Jihadists arent now and havent yet been an existential threat to any nation in Europe. Quite unlike what they are and have been in places such as the various African nations like Somalia, Sudan etc. plus of course Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and so forth in the Middle East.

Do you know what else was changed 50 years ago? The internet didn't exist yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »

And Brussels in on high alert over fears of a terrorist attack. Apparently there's something credible enough for the police to take preventative measures.

Quite a mess. All the metro station close, as well as the Schuman train station (which is in front of the European Commission, but also where I take the train to the uni). They even search my bags when I went to the supermarket in case I ahd a bomb or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2015, 03:26:34 pm »

They can hate the West all they want, as long as their terrorists remain in their local shithole I don't care.

Also that sounds like a really good argument for closing borders with Middle East. I mean, have they even brought us anything positive? Like, anything at all? I'm searching my memory and the only examples seem to be from the far, far past. Currently, their only exports seem to be oil and terror...

How's that relevant? Are you arguing that Internet is somehow making jihadists more likely to go for international terrorism?
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:04 pm »

Oil easily makes up for everything else, probably.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »

Oil easily makes up for everything else, probably.

Cheap oil, more to the point. America has plenty of the stuff, but it's not nearly as cheap as getting it produced elsewhere. Seems anything that keeps those prices down is a good thing...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »

How's that relevant? Are you arguing that Internet is somehow making jihadists more likely to go for international terrorism?

No, just making a point that the non-existence of the internet isn't neccesarily what kept a lid on things.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49