Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58280 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #450 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:16 am »

And Boko Haram kills more people than ISIS.

Now that the furore has died down a bit, maybe I won't be accused of pissing on graves by mentioning this.
Plenty of folks kill more people than ISIS, really. Assad & co. has murdered several times the amount, near as I can recall. To a fair extent, folks aren't really in a twitter about ISIS because of the number killed. Honestly, body count alone has... well, very little to do with any of it -- it's a commonly noted thing, but US motor fatalities alone killed just about the same number of people that every act of terrorism worldwide managed, in '14. Lots of things, many of them quite preventable, manage similar or greater number of deaths.

... but yeah, you're not going to be hearing much about boko haram any time soon, at least in western media. South America and most of Africa gets more or less entirely ignored by those sources.

Actually kinda' surprised beruit hasn't been mentioned -- it got hit almost as hard as paris did (would have been worse if it weren't for the bataclan, iirc), something like a day or two beforehand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 19, 2015, 10:54:57 am »

Sadly, my newspaper wrote about the Council for School and Security, an organisation that advises Dutch schools about security, recieving multiple complaints from primary and highschool teachers all around the counrtry, that muslim children interrupted the minute of silence that all our schools organized for the Paris attacks, by shouting alahu akhbar, and generally ignoring the minute of silence and just continuing their conversations.

I'd say, remove those kids from their parental care, let Child Protective Services find a deprogramming program suitable for kids, and have the parents of those kids investigated by intelligence services.
Honestly, that sounds sketchy. On par with the "Iraqi Army throwing preemie babies out of their incubators" bullshit during the first Gulf War.

@Frumple: I think you're seeing a sad truth in geopolitics and news reporting -- dead brown people have a lower point value than dead white people. I think it was either Jon Stewart or John Oliver that tried to figure out an exchange rate, something like 500 dead Africans = 100 dead Asians = 50 dead East Europeans = 1 missing little blond girl.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 19, 2015, 10:57:42 am »

If we're talking about stuff other than Paris:

Thirty-two killed, eighty injured by terrorist attack in Nigeria.

Edit:

Make that thirty-four in Yola and fifteen elsewhere.

And Boko Haram kills more people than ISIS.

Now that the furore has died down a bit, maybe I won't be accused of pissing on graves by mentioning this.

I actually check Nairaland and a few online newspapers every so often to see what they're doing. This sort of thing seems to happen every so often as well.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 19, 2015, 11:03:34 am »

Sadly, my newspaper wrote about the Council for School and Security, an organisation that advises Dutch schools about security, recieving multiple complaints from primary and highschool teachers all around the counrtry, that muslim children interrupted the minute of silence that all our schools organized for the Paris attacks, by shouting alahu akhbar, and generally ignoring the minute of silence and just continuing their conversations.

I'd say, remove those kids from their parental care, let Child Protective Services find a deprogramming program suitable for kids, and have the parents of those kids investigated by intelligence services.
Honestly, that sounds sketchy. On par with the "Iraqi Army throwing preemie babies out of their incubators" bullshit during the first Gulf War.

@Frumple: I think you're seeing a sad truth in geopolitics and news reporting -- dead brown people have a lower point value than dead white people. I think it was either Jon Stewart or John Oliver that tried to figure out an exchange rate, something like 500 dead Africans = 100 dead Asians = 50 dead East Europeans = 1 missing little blond girl.

There's no way in hell the media would care about 500 dead Africans as much as they'd care about 1 missing little blond girl.  Your conversion rates are all off.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #454 on: November 19, 2015, 11:10:38 am »

I actually check Nairaland and a few online newspapers every so often to see what they're doing. This sort of thing seems to happen every so often as well.

Yeah. Life in Nigeria for the last goodly while has been a lot worse than life in Paris the day after the attacks. It's why it kinda makes my blood boil that Paris and ISIS get so much media attention.

There's no way in hell the media would care about 500 dead Africans as much as they'd care about 1 missing little blond girl.  Your conversion rates are all off.

I'm bitter and jaded as all-get-out but I'm pretty sure the LRA kidnappings drew more attention than one kid going missing. Sure, nobody gives a damn about the fact that they were never seen again, but I think it was in the media when it happened.

On the one hand, I want to say that Africa needs to be able to look out for itself. On the other hand, that's not going to happen.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 19, 2015, 11:14:39 am »

I guess it's more about how exceptional the event is. White folks' deaths aren't in and of themselves more newsworthy than those of brown, black, or polychromatic folks - take for example the number of people killed by traffic - but an attack of this kind on white people is rather unusual, while a similar attack in Beirut or Nigeria is, while not exactly everyday business, pretty much something we've all grown accustomed to.
The second factor is proximity: I know nobody in Nigeria, I know nobody in Beirut. But Paris is a four hour train ride away from where I live, I know three people living there at the moment - two students from my semester and the daughter of a very close friend of the family -, I've been there myself, I plan on going there again in the not-too-far-away future, and - perhaps most importantly - Paris is in many respects fairly similar to the cities I spend most of my time in. So yeah, an attack in Paris is of somewhat greater interest to me than an attack on another continent.

On the flip side I won't blame a Lebanese or Nigerian guy for not really caring about the attacks in Paris - they're as far away from him as the attacks there are from me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #456 on: November 19, 2015, 12:10:44 pm »

Turkey fans in this video:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/17/video-turkey-fans-boo-moment-of-silence-for-paris-attacks-then-break-out-into-this-chant/
Started chanting and booing during the one minute silence. There are various theories going around that attempt to explain it as something other than disrespect, for example that it was in protest to the hypocrisy the west has shown in not doing similar things for other terrorist attacks.
Wonderful, just wonderful.

... but yeah, you're not going to be hearing much about boko haram any time soon, at least in western media. South America and most of Africa gets more or less entirely ignored by those sources.
The British and French have been covering it extensively from the start because of our close ties with West Africa and Nigeria respectively. The catalyst for action probably has to be when 200 girls were kidnapped by Boko Haram to be sold as child brides amongst fighters and converted to Islam; hence why Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, Benin, France, UK and USA are working together to ruin Boko Haram.

Actually kinda' surprised beruit hasn't been mentioned -- it got hit almost as hard as paris did (would have been worse if it weren't for the bataclan, iirc), something like a day or two beforehand.
NORPs only have time for a few emotional catastrophes before they forget about it and move onto the next one. Of course they pick the ones closest to home.

*EDIT
Also it's notable that while the US has provided logitical support, it has declined to sell the Nigerian government weapons.
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the arrest of his predecessor's security adviser, for allegedly stealing some $2bn (£1.3bn).

Sambo Dasuki is accused of awarding phantom contracts to buy 12 helicopters, four fighter jets and ammunition. He denies the allegations.

The equipment was meant for the fight against Boko Haram Islamist militants.

Soldiers have complained that despite the military's huge budget, they were ill-equipped to fight.

Also notable is that Boko Haram operated more like a heavily armed gang, akin to a cartel in Central America. After collaborating with ISIS and pledging allegiance to them however, they have grown a recent fondness to suicide bombing which suggests that Arab leadership have improved Nigerian tactics.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:34:30 pm by Loud Whispers »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:38 pm »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/17/video-turkey-fans-boo-moment-of-silence-for-paris-attacks-then-break-out-into-this-chant/
Started chanting and booing during the one minute silence. There are various theories going around that attempt to explain it as something other than disrespect, for example that it was in protest to the hypocrisy the west has shown in not doing similar things for other terrorist attacks.

Have they tried asking those people why they were booing and chanting? Would be easier to get insight if we just ask rather than speculate.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 19, 2015, 12:42:00 pm »

There were times when Beirut was nicknamed the "Paris of the Middle East". it has since then allowed at least two major and global terrorist organizations set its headquarter in it, one of which suffered this latest attack on its closed zone to the cheers of many of this state own citizens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #459 on: November 19, 2015, 01:03:51 pm »

Have they tried asking those people why they were booing and chanting? Would be easier to get insight if we just ask rather than speculate.
"Hey guys why are you chanting allahu akbar in the minute's silence for Paris?"
The Turkish manager Fatih Terim suggested after the game that fans at the Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium should have been more respectful.
"Our fans should have behaved during the national anthems and during the one minute silence," Terim is quoted as saying after the 0-0 draw.
"Greece is our neighbour. Today is world neighbours day, but our fans didn't behave like neighbours in this match."
It's clearly meant to be disrespectful.
They also chant "Sehitler olmez, vatan bolunmez." Which means "Martyrs never die, the nation won't be divided," which is said after Turkish soldiers are bombed by terrorists and "terrorists." Put two and two together, the Turkish football fans are pissed off because no one holds minutes of silence when Ankara is bombed, so they decided to disrespect Paris in response.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:44 pm »

"Hey guys why are you chanting allahu akbar in the minute's silence for Paris?"
The Turkish manager Fatih Terim suggested after the game that fans at the Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium should have been more respectful.
"Our fans should have behaved during the national anthems and during the one minute silence," Terim is quoted as saying after the 0-0 draw.
"Greece is our neighbour. Today is world neighbours day, but our fans didn't behave like neighbours in this match."
It's clearly meant to be disrespectful.
They also chant "Sehitler olmez, vatan bolunmez." Which means "Martyrs never die, the nation won't be divided," which is said after Turkish soldiers are bombed by terrorists and "terrorists." Put two and two together, the Turkish football fans are pissed off because no one holds minutes of silence when Ankara is bombed, so they decided to disrespect Paris in response.
This is even funnier when you realize that, for the most part, the "terrorists" that Turkey's soldiers have been fighting are... wait for it... Kurds!

The "nation won't be divided" in this case obviously refers to how Turkey stomps on Kurds to prevent them from creating Kurdistan.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:54 pm »

There were times when Beirut was nicknamed the "Paris of the Middle East". it has since then allowed at least two major and global terrorist organizations set its headquarter in it, one of which suffered this latest attack on its closed zone to the cheers of many of this state own citizens.

This is nonsensium.

Can I have evidence? It isn't like fake news about how the middle east celebrates every single disaster hasn't happened (like crazy...)

No wait makes sense... "Global Terrorist Organization" confused me. Since honestly there aren't that many of them (I mean there is Green Peace... and uhhh) so I thought you meant global anti-terrorist organization :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:11:05 pm by Neonivek »

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:48 pm »

I don't think many of their parents are islamists. Islamism is the new Beat-Music (or Grunge, Slipknot, First person shooters, MTV ...), and children - especially those from westernized households - pick the stuff up from Facebook and the like. A strict ban on cellphones, similar devices and internet usage (and Hiphop) for the underage, would solve this problem, and many more, like "cyber-bulliing", "happy-slapping", "cyber-slacking" and their general lack of movement. When I was a child, we didn't have cellphones, and the world was so much better back then.

Another thing, is this hysteric empathy that modern teachers display in religious education and in "special" dicussions after "tragic" events like the attacks on the World-Trade-Center or school shootings. For pupils, it is just fun, to troll the teacher by things like that. It is always fun - and strictly accurate - to remind them on the starving children in Africa, or traffic accidents. For teachers, and the media, a million deaths is a statistic and one death is a tragedy.

By the way: Look for the buzzword "je suis chien": 129 dead humans are a statistic and one dead dog is a tragedy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #463 on: November 19, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »

I don't think many of their parents are islamists. Islamism is the new Beat-Music (or Grunge, Slipknot, First person shooters, MTV ...), and children - especially those from westernized households - pick the stuff up from Facebook and the like. A strict ban on cellphones, similar devices and internet usage (and Hiphop) for the underage, would solve this problem, and many more, like "cyber-bulliing", "happy-slapping", "cyber-slacking" and their general lack of movement. When I was a child, we didn't have cellphones, and the world was so much better back then.
Yeah there's a generation gap of Western Muslims in how the older first gen immigrants were overall cool beans then their kids turn out so god damn mental; I can only imagine this policy being used by retarded social services to take extreme children away from the only moderating influence in their life they'd ever listen to

Another thing, is this hysteric empathy that modern teachers display in religious education and in "special" dicussions after "tragic" events like the attacks on the World-Trade-Center or school shootings. For pupils, it is just fun, to troll the teacher by things like that. It is always fun - and strictly accurate - to remind them on the starving children in Africa, or traffic accidents. For teachers, and the media, a million deaths is a statistic and one death is a tragedy.
By the way: Look for the buzzword "je suis chien": 129 dead humans are a statistic and one dead dog is a tragedy.
you are a very problematic gorilla

This is even funnier when you realize that, for the most part, the "terrorists" that Turkey's soldiers have been fighting are... wait for it... Kurds!
The "nation won't be divided" in this case obviously refers to how Turkey stomps on Kurds to prevent them from creating Kurdistan.
They are still fighting the PKK too

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:29 pm »

I don't think many of their parents are islamists. Islamism is the new Beat-Music (or Grunge, Slipknot, First person shooters, MTV ...), and children - especially those from westernized households - pick the stuff up from Facebook and the like. A strict ban on cellphones, similar devices and internet usage (and Hiphop) for the underage, would solve this problem, and many more, like "cyber-bulliing", "happy-slapping", "cyber-slacking" and their general lack of movement.

Explicit music (don't know why you singled out hip hop) is banned for underage people. It's called a parental advisory. That means that the parent is the point of failure, not the music or the musician or the record company or the government.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49