Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58352 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2015, 04:57:57 pm »

More than one. Not sure how effective they're going to be without some form of ground support.

Which is the problem with the current strategy, air superiority is good and all, but to take and hold something, you need ground support.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:59:29 pm by smjjames »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2015, 05:05:11 pm »

to take and hold something, you need ground support.

It's possible holding it might not be their objective. News reports I've seen so far have been lacking in detail, but this might simply be a morale-boosting PR move. France first started bombing ISIS targets in Syria in September. That they should bomb it again today after the Paris attack comes as no surprise.

Actually, the Paris attacks were probably retaliation for the past couple months engagements against ISIS.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 15, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »

breitbart isn't a source. The Guardian is.

breitbart is basically a snazzier version of Stormfront mixed with mega corporation fanboys.

I'd have more faith in The Daily Mail as a source than Breitbart on basically any issue. For example, daily mail has cited information on both sides of the climate debate, whereas Breitbart is basically a mouthpiece for pollution-spewing megacorps who deny any climate effects. When you have a site which makes The Daily Mail look balanced and well researched, you know you're looking at a literal pile of turds.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:38:41 pm by Reelya »

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »

Actually, looking back a bit...Syrian civil war, Syrian government asks for international military assistance, France is one of the countries that provide it...the Paris attacks were probably retaliation for the past couple months.

Are the French helping Assad's government? I thought they were part of the US coalition that are supporting the moderate rebels against both Assad and IS.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56:37 pm »

Are the French helping Assad's government? I thought they were part of the US coalition that are supporting the moderate rebels against both Assad and IS.

Yes, they're supporting the Rebels. Give me a minute and I'll rephrase that post.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2015, 06:08:29 pm »

Hm, Sarkozy said this:

"Former French President Nicola Sarkozy has told French TV that all those on an official watchlist of suspected radicals should be forced to wear "an electronic tag". He is widely expected to run for the presidency again in 2017."

It's off the BBC live blog, so I don't have a link to an actual article. Sounds extremely... Orwellian.

I don't know how popular he is over there in France, but he's certainly feeding into the right wing narrative.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2015, 06:10:15 pm »

You know as extreme as that sounds...

An electronic tag would actually fix so many problems with the system. It might, in the end, be LESS intrusive then the current system.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2015, 06:12:07 pm »

I guess the kneejerk curtailing of basic liberty was inevitable. It happened here, it happened in the UK, now France is jumping on the train.

Never mind that people are a bit smarter than salmon and will try to remove the tag. Or is he suggesting they be surgically implanted?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2015, 06:15:53 pm »

Theres no further details than that quote, and yeah, my first thought was 'what's stopping them from excising it out?'

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:54 pm »

Uh, electronic surveillace bracelet are already widely used for prisoners on parole, it's not exactly a new technology.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »

Pro-Israel thinktank from a website called jihadology. Sounds about as reliable as posting from thereligionofpeace.

Aaron Y. Zelin was one of the firsts to raise concerns that Yemen Libya and Syria specifically will not survive the Arab Spring.

It's possible holding it might not be their objective. News reports I've seen so far have been lacking in detail, but this might simply be a morale-boosting PR move. France first started bombing ISIS targets in Syria in September. That they should bomb it again today after the Paris attack comes as no surprise.

Actually, looking back a bit...Syrian civil war, Syrian government asks for international military assistance, France is one of the countries that provide it...the Paris attacks were probably retaliation for the past couple months.

France had been combating ISIS long before ISIS were called ISIS and were still called Al Qaeda in Iraq / Al Qaeda in the Magreb.

And it has nothing to do with the attack on Paris. this is a culture war. Paris is one of the beacons for the culture that these people despise.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »

Uh, electronic surveillace bracelet are already widely used for prisoners on parole, it's not exactly a new technology.

He didn't exactly elaborate on what he meant by 'electronic tag', leaving it up to peoples imaginations.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:11 pm »

France had been combating ISIS long before ISIS were called ISIS and were still called Al Qaeda in Iraq / Al Qaeda in the Magreb.

And it has nothing to do with the attack on Paris. this is a culture war. Paris is one of the beacons for the culture that these people despise.

...wait, so France has been combating these people for years, but they're unhappy because France is a "cultural beacon" they disagree with?

Dropping bombs on them has nothing to do with it?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2015, 06:56:13 pm »

He didn't exactly elaborate on what he meant by 'electronic tag', leaving it up to peoples imaginations.

It's probably safe to assume he was refering to the existing technology and not some hypothetical one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »

What he actually meant is they all would play a giant France wide game of Laser Tag
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49