Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58268 times)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »

Explicit music (don't know why you singled out hip hop) is banned for underage people. It's called a parental advisory. That means that the parent is the point of failure, not the music or the musician or the record company or the government.
I didn't mean, that Beat-Music, Grunge... causes islamism, but all these things were pop-culture, that was once cool because it caused a scare amongst the public, and now children consider islamism cool, because it causes a scare too (thought this time, the scare is justififed).

With Hiphop, the problem is less the music itself, it is more the Hiphop subculture, and the organized crime associated with it. The mantra of hiphop is, "If you are part of a minority, your only option is, to become a gang-meber, Islamist, Christian fundamentalist,...". There are many concerned parents (or Metalheads) that want to ban baggy clothes or hooded sweaters on schools, to prevent crime.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 19, 2015, 02:41:15 pm »

I don't think many of their parents are islamists. Islamism is the new Beat-Music (or Grunge, Slipknot, First person shooters, MTV ...), and children - especially those from westernized households - pick the stuff up from Facebook and the like. A strict ban on cellphones, similar devices and internet usage (and Hiphop) for the underage, would solve this problem, and many more, like "cyber-bulliing", "happy-slapping", "cyber-slacking" and their general lack of movement.

Explicit music (don't know why you singled out hip hop) is banned for underage people. It's called a parental advisory. That means that the parent is the point of failure, not the music or the musician or the record company or the government.

Silly itis, parenting is the job of the government, not the parent.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 19, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »

There were times when Beirut was nicknamed the "Paris of the Middle East". it has since then allowed at least two major and global terrorist organizations set its headquarter in it, one of which suffered this latest attack on its closed zone to the cheers of many of this state own citizens.

This is nonsensium.

Can I have evidence? It isn't like fake news about how the middle east celebrates every single disaster hasn't happened (like crazy...)

No wait makes sense... "Global Terrorist Organization" confused me. Since honestly there aren't that many of them (I mean there is Green Peace... and uhhh) so I thought you meant global anti-terrorist organization :P

Evidence for what? the Sunni lebanese cheering for ISIS bombing a Hezbollah zone or that Beirut housed at least two Global terrorist organizations?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 19, 2015, 04:09:48 pm »

Sorry I said stuff Vilanat, and then took it back by saying "Whoops silly me, I misread what you said"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2015, 04:34:58 pm »

The terrorist that's been sought after in Sweden today, and who was the reason for the Swedish terror level alert thingy was raised to 4 on a scale of 5, was arrested at a refugee centre in the Northlands earlier tonight.

Source is in Swedish and a live reportage, but there's other comments by SVT journalists on the page too. The article still says the location is unconfirmed but the updates says refugee housing.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:47 pm »

By the way: Look for the buzzword "je suis chien": 129 dead humans are a statistic and one dead dog is a tragedy.
Well, apart from "<small number> is a tragedy, <large number> is a statistic" paraphrase (bearing in mind that "<even larger numbers> are seemingly ignored by everyone" would be a continuation of that), there's other things to tug at the heart-strings.
The people were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and were targeted by hostile individuals.
The dog was sent into danger1 by the humans it would have considered to be its fellow pack-members.

If you don't know any of the people involved, you might, like me mourn them in an abstract and helpless way, balanced with hate for those who made them die.  But you can't (well, I can't; YMMV) sublimate your emotions into hate against Diesel's handler, who was doing a good thing in sending Diesel into the fray, to the net benefit of the operation.  So if you feel anything about the dog, there's nowhere else to go with your emotions.

Or so would be one interpretation.  Add salt to taste.  Or ask the waiter to return it to the chef as being overcooked, if you feel necessary.

(I'm not a dog owner.  I wasn't even feeling emotional when I started this post, but now I'm starting to want to use the term "doggy heaven" and am finding myself quite cut-up.  People don't go to heaven, IMO, but right now I sure want Diesel to get to Doggy Heaven and be rewarded with lots of interesting smells to smell and lots of chewy things to chew on...)

1 It might or might not have even understood there was danger.  From what I've read, its task was to find booby-traps, i.e. explosives.  If that's the case then during training it would have smelt explosives, indicated to its pack-leader that it had smelt the explosives and then been rewarded with its favourite toy.  Its medals indicate that it had obviously undertaken real tasks before, but were they, to it (her, yes?) just a 'bigger game', with perhaps just more belligerent people between it and the stuff her pack-leader would reward her for finding?  This time, however, the game ended in her death.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 20, 2015, 09:15:26 am »

Turkey fans in this video:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/17/video-turkey-fans-boo-moment-of-silence-for-paris-attacks-then-break-out-into-this-chant/
Started chanting and booing during the one minute silence. There are various theories going around that attempt to explain it as something other than disrespect, for example that it was in protest to the hypocrisy the west has shown in not doing similar things for other terrorist attacks.
Wonderful, just wonderful.
Something similar (though not as pronounced) happened in the Republic of Ireland.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/watch-football-fans-boo-minutes-silence-for-paris-attack-victims-before-irelandbosnia-euro-2016-a3116436.html
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:47 am »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/17/video-turkey-fans-boo-moment-of-silence-for-paris-attacks-then-break-out-into-this-chant/

Started chanting and booing during the one minute silence. There are various theories going around that attempt to explain it as something other than disrespect, for example that it was in protest to the hypocrisy the west has shown in not doing similar things for other terrorist attacks.

The only thing surprising about that article is that Greece can afford a soccer team.

Also did they say boo or boo-urns?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:26:18 am by Bouchart »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2015, 11:15:48 am »

They DO have a reason to be pissed off, just a bit of a scummy way to go about being pissed off.
I wouldn't rate it much on the 'scum' scale.  Disrespect, sure.
Some events where some humans die are just more sensational then others.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 20, 2015, 11:22:49 am »

Booing is disrespect, possibly for a reason.

The Turkish shouting Allahu akbar has quite a bit more than disrespect, at least from those that were shouting it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 20, 2015, 11:32:25 am »

@Frumple: I think you're seeing a sad truth in geopolitics and news reporting -- dead brown people have a lower point value than dead white people. I think it was either Jon Stewart or John Oliver that tried to figure out an exchange rate, something like 500 dead Africans = 100 dead Asians = 50 dead East Europeans = 1 missing little blond girl.

It's not that they're worth less, it's just that something has to be out of the ordinary to qualify as news. I operate under the assumption that there are always large scale atrocities being committed in Africa. I have no need to be told about them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 20, 2015, 11:39:01 am »

Wonderful, just wonderful.
Something similar (though not as pronounced) happened in the Republic of Ireland.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/watch-football-fans-boo-minutes-silence-for-paris-attack-victims-before-irelandbosnia-euro-2016-a3116436.html

So basically those Turkish people booing and chanting were just soccer football hooligans being hooligans?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 20, 2015, 11:42:34 am »

Ah, not just hooligans. Themed hooligans. What they were booing/hissing/disrespecting indicates at least a generally held feeling. That they feel the can vent it in the anonymity of a crowd makes no odds to the fact that what they're shouting they in someway believe, or at least secretly feel. Though there wasn't much of an attempt to be secretive there, heh.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »

Or maybe this is the equivalent of neonazi football fans, which I don't think are usually considered to indicate common opinions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 20, 2015, 12:36:22 pm »

I don't know, that's what I think most Euroballers are like. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49