Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impossible Creatures Released On Steam  (Read 2431 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Impossible Creatures Released On Steam
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:51:53 pm »

This marvelous 2003 game is back from the dead! :D

Its base RTS mechanics (gather resources, build shit) might not be groundbreaking, but its special gimmick still is - you have absolute control over what kind of units your army is made up of, and every unit is a hybrid of two stock creatures with whatever body parts you like, which opens up for great creativity in what kind of strategy to use. And honestly, the creature combiner is a really fun part of the game even as a standalone thing.

Something to note, though: The last official patch was more than a decade ago, and the vanilla metagame is frankly pretty stale, especially in the late game. Anyone even slightly familiar with IC multiplayer should feel dread at the word "Babale". Check out the Tellurian mod for a far more balanced experience and a far greater diversity of viable creatures.

It's a really cool game that has aged well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:17:35 am by Henny »
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Creatures Released On Steam
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »

Ohh, I miss my Goliwhala spam so much  :D

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »

Is it still glitchy and prone to crashing?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:38:31 pm »

Instantly bought this game. I used to be playing this pretty competitively, although I've mostly forgotten the whats and hows. Anyone up for an online game?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:52:01 pm »

Holy shit, the nostalgia. Between this and Code Lyoko, 2015 is turning out to be 2003-2.
Also, goddamn, small world -- all the male voices are done by Lee Tockar and Sam Vincent, both of whom I sortof know personally from my time in the MLP community.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:55:15 pm »

Woohoo!
It's FEF, not FEOF

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:58 pm »

Code Lyoko is back?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 01:53:04 am »

That's one messed up mod link, OP. Might wanna fix it. :)

Loved this game back in the day. Never played it online, but it was never about that for me. The creature combining was just kickass.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »

Apparently this is a quote from one of Nordic Games' developers:

"Our general rule is that every game that does well will be closely evaluated for a sequel. I think the Impossible Creatures mechanic is quite great and would do well in a modern RTS but first lets see how Impossible Creatures Steam Edition does for us."

If this sells well, we could possibly see a spiritual sequel.  :)
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 05:42:28 pm »

Code Lyoko is back?
In a way. :D
I'm not sure if that is what jay meant, but its the first thing I found aside from the facebook page it was on.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »

I've just bought this (again!) hit me up if you want a game. :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 06:55:30 pm »

Let the unit lists of nothing but Demi-lobsters flow!

Edit: also, let's discuss your personal best unit: mines a combo of the chameleon and the baboon: take the chameleon head and tail and baboon everything else and it gives you a pack hunting, regenerating, stealthing all-around unit available in T2.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:01:33 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:04:51 pm »

Code Lyoko is back?
:D
I'm not sure if that is what jay meant, but its the first thing I found aside from the facebook page it was on.

A quick google search shows that a single season sequel, called Code Lyoko: Evolution, was released in 2012, but never got officially dubbed. It appears that a fan-dub project is underway and scheduled to begin recording soon, so that may be what was being referred to.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »

Not sure how you managed to break the quote like that, but that also sounds neat!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:35:38 pm »

Let the unit lists of nothing but Demi-lobsters flow!

Edit: also, let's discuss your personal best unit: mines a combo of the chameleon and the baboon: take the chameleon head and tail and baboon everything else and it gives you a pack hunting, regenerating, stealthing all-around unit available in T2.

MOOSE TURTLE OP DAMN IT
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: [1] 2