Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Apprentice [TSG]  (Read 10729 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice [TSG]
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2015, 02:46:01 pm »

Tbh, I don't expect the breaking to work, but we have a brief breather before standing up to try to heal and to cast Witchsight which "sharpens internal senses" which I read as heightening all our senses which may help.  Also if he casts something we will be able to tell more about what it is and possibly how he cast so we can possibly pick up pointers on how to cast spells.

But I agree, we're not likely to be able to do much beyond being beaten on this morning.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:49:28 pm by Griffionday »

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2015, 02:49:45 pm »

Tbh, I don't expect the breaking to work, but we have a brief breather before standing up to try to heal and to cast Witchsight which "sharpens internal senses" which I read as heightening all our senses which may help.  Also if he casts something we will be able to tell more about what it is and possibly how he cast so we can possibly pick up pointers on how to cast spells.
Alright let's try the witch sight thing, plus even if we break his sword he seems quite adept and will still kick our ass. So let's just learn the skill
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:03 pm »

Alright let's try the witch sight thing, plus even if we break his sword he seems quite adept and will still kick our ass. So let's just learn the skill
Agreed, our first focus should be learning to use a sword reasonably well, so he is willing to let us learn to use armor before we are completely turned into pulp.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »

The way i see it, we have two different ways tomgo woth this. We could be a classic mage, (Gandalf)
Or be like a Spell-Sword. I vote SpellSword

http://img01.deviantart.net/6052/i/2013/082/9/a/drow_spellsword_by_kqmdk-d5yzzkh.jpg
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2015, 03:03:49 pm »

We probably shouldn't try to use magic, lest we provoke Aethelwine to use it as well and wipe the floor with us.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2015, 03:08:44 pm »

We probably shouldn't try to use magic, lest we provoke Aethelwine to use it as well and wipe the floor with us.
But this way we may get to see how a mostly trained magician would wipe the floor with us using both magic and blade! Insight well worth a few bruises I feel. Especially if we figure out how to patch ourselves up!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

Agreed, our first focus should be learning to use a sword reasonably well, so he is willing to let us learn to use armor before we are completely turned into pulp.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2015, 03:24:49 pm »

Hoisted by my own petard!

Nix annoying him by offensive casting of non-spells, saner heads seem to agree it's a bad idea to annoy the only sword instructor more than necessary.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2015, 03:31:39 pm »

Hmm. I don't think we could win this conventionally. We're clearly outclassed in terms of skill, both in swordplay and also magic, and I dont think spending some of our focus on looking at magic would be useful. Instead, I think we should just go all out.
Use the snow to create an opening, then start attacking him with everything we got, the sword, our limbs, be unpredictable and wild about it.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »

Hmm. I don't think we could win this conventionally. We're clearly outclassed in terms of skill, both in swordplay and also magic, and I dont think spending some of our focus on looking at magic would be useful. Instead, I think we should just go all out.
Use the snow to create an opening, then start attacking him with everything we got, the sword, our limbs, be unpredictable and wild about it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2015, 03:36:36 pm »

I think we should focus less on winning and more on imitating Aethelwine.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

+1

Nunzillor

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »

+1
+1

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2015, 03:39:54 pm »

I don't really agree but sure.
Sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »

The snow got us to the sword didn't it?  I think we're doing rather well.  We have valuable experience dodging and blocking, which is important as we are trying to learn how to fight with a sword.  We're almost certainly not going to win any of the bouts today.

Alright fine, since we want to do more than just get beaten on: Stand up, commanding your body to recover, ready yourself and cast Witchsight to give you a better chance against Aethelwine's trained reflexes.  When you first parry a blow from his sword try to break it.

You grip your sword again and try to channel mana, recovering from the damage... to no effect.  Looks like you can't just instinctively do magic like that.  Nevertheless, you sharpen your witchsight as you stand, quietly grasping a handful of snow with your free hand.

You try to lower your stance like Aethelwine, whom you are starting to see overlaid by a tracery of force.  Your thighs hurt like buggery, and you notice yourself start to rise up.  As far as you can tell, he doesn't seem to be using any magic.  Frustratingly, rather than sharpening your conventional senses, the focus required to use your seventh sense seems to dull the rest; your sight and hearing are not so acute, and you worry this may impact your reflexes as well.

Aethelwine does not wait, but immediately springs into an attack, which you jump out of the way of before launching into your own frenzied assault, hurling the handful of snow at him before swinging your sword in erratic abandon.  The skill with which he blocks and evades your blows is no less impressive for the apparent effortlessness with which he does so.

Watching somebody fight with witchsight is... interesting.  Although he casts no spells that you can see, mana courses rapidly up and down Aethelwine's form, forming bright concentrations around his head, spine and joints in a display of some sort of natural distribution of the force.

With an elegant movement, Aethelwine twists his sword around yours and simply takes it out of your grasp with his free hand, tossing it away.  You try to attack him with your bare fists, but he smacks you across the arms, legs and finally temple, keeping you from drawing close and knocking you back with pain.  He taps you gently beneath the sternum with the sword when you recoil.

"That's two.  Are you really even trying?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12