Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Apprentice [TSG]  (Read 10727 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice [TSG]
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »

Look about ourselves.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 06:08:25 pm »

You look down at your own hand and focus.

It is faint at first, and then with increasing intensity you detect a faint essence imbuing your skin, then running in thin traceries throughout your body.  You look up and you can see, much more faintly, a similar set of lines in Pip.

Staring down at the stones you can see more complex patterns and lines in them, although the meanings of these patterns are not quite clear to you.  Staring ahead, you feel as if you can start to see very faint echoes of this same force permeating the room, gently flowing to some unknown destination.  This force seems to gently wax and wane, like a low tide, and with it you feel aftershocks of another force, which tastes like rot on your nerves.

You start to feel a sort of pressure building up behind your eyes and are aware that you have started rubbing your temples without realising it.

"Pull back," says the Pip-shaped tracery of force.

Some part of your attention snaps, or perhaps suddenly relaxes back from tension.  The colours and sensations of the mundane world flood back to you, and you are no longer conscious of that vast tide.

"What was all that?" you ask.

"The source of magic, running through our veins.  The classical term for it is mana, which I think you can agree is pretentious but nevertheless fits."

You stare at him blankly.

"Your father not a religious man?"

"My guardian wasn't, no."

"Sorry, obvious joke if you're familiar with Scripture.  Mana was the food of the gods, and as it is the source of the magic we perform it seems appropriate to call it such.  As you no doubt noticed there is mana all around us, but too faint to really reliably draw on.  When we use mana we draw it from the wellspring of our own bodies.  It replenishes with time, especially during sleep, so you will want to get a lot of early nights.  Now, you may notice that you're having a little difficulty keeping your thoughts together?"

"Yes, what is that?"

"Performing magic, especially un-spelled magic, takes a lot of mental focus to successfully pull off.  It can leave you mentally exhausted, so it's a good idea to know your limits and only perform as much magic as you can manage.  Again, sleep or meditate to recover your mental focus."

"What about the different, what did you call them, threads?"

"Right."  He gestures from left to right amongst the stones.  "Mana, Fire, Air, Aether, Earth, Water, Life, Destruction, Preservation.  Much of what you will work with will fall into the latter eight categories, and all of them are contained to a degree in raw mana.  Part of spellcasting involves filtering out the unwanted threads so you can create the structures you need.

"For the next month, your lessons with me will be split between reading lessons, which will start tomorrow, and focusing on stripping down the technique of getting your witchsight attuned until it only takes you a few seconds, and to make it efficient enough not to drain your mental focus.  Do you have further questions at this juncture before we continue?"

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »

Would it be possible to set up a pre-made spellwork to gather and store ambient mana over time? It could be used to power a really big spell or even just to keep an area clear for precision working.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »

Would it be possible to set up a pre-made spellwork to gather and store ambient mana over time? It could be used to power a really big spell or even just to keep an area clear for precision working.
+1 if possible being able to store it in the rocks we have would be incredible useful even if its just a small bit.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »

Well, its fairly obvious that each stone is linked to an element. Its likely that storing mana/speels will require magical ink made from crushed versions of these stones or similar

In short, DIY Magic Fairy Powder

Actually that brings up a decent point. Exactly what creatures are in our Protaginists universe? Im assuming we are going with something similar to DF.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:30:20 pm by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 05:08:11 am »

"Couple of questions.  Is it possible to set up some sort of spell to capture and store mana over time?  If there is some in the air I could see how it might be useful."

"Ah, like panning for gold?  Yes, such methods exist and there are actually a few structures dedicated just to this, although they tend to be very large in order to capture any decent amount of ambient mana.  The good news is that it is entirely possible to store mana, as I have in that stone.  You just need to wrap it in an aether framework to keep it in place.  It's a finite store, though, and you have to manually replace it either from yourself or such a collector.  A lot of mages, particularly if they know they have large projects to undertake, will carry crystals full of mana with them for use when their natural supply is insufficient.  I understand it's also possible to obtain mana by harvesting a creature's soul, but it's quite a wasteful process and I'm not familiar with how to do it without destroying the soul in the process.  The Master is very skilled with it, but he won't deign to teach you until your latter years of training.  He actually only bothers to teach whoever's in Aethelwine's position and just trusts the rest of us to teach the younger."

"So if these stones are linked to those elements, or thread types, does casting spells mean we need to crush these types of stone up?"

Pip laughs.  "Oh, goodness no!  These are just pebbles I found by the inn, there's nothing inherently magical about them at all.  Don't get me wrong, there are magical materials, but they're rare and most often cut from the hides of magical beasts.  No, I picked those because it's easier to keep spell forms stable inside rocks, particularly crystals, as they are less prone to the effects of the Ebb.  I'll explain that later, don't worry.  Suffice to say, if you care about spells that last longer than a few minutes you'll put them in some sort of object."

"What about that spell you cast when we were in the coach?"

"I reinforced that, and it helped that we were inside with little air flow.  Besides, if I put it in a stone you'd get a hot stone instead of a warm coach, putting it in the air helped it spread.  But yes, it would have broken down in a few hours were I not repeatedly maintaining and repairing it."

"You mentioned magical beasts before, what sort of beasts are there?  I've heard of goblins and werewolves and of course," you shudder, "elves.  What else are there?"

"Dragons, of course, but those are far and few between here on the Emerald Isles.  Sprites, brownies, manticores, unicorns, quite a number else.  Demons, but those are intangible unless you deliberately give them form.  Tip, if you ever come across one, do not give it form.  They will promise you anything in exchange for a form, and if you make such a deal, break your word."

"How do you give a demon form, create it a body?"

"Yes.  I won't teach you how to do that, but Tostig knows some of the specifics as part of his speciality."  You note an odd choice of pronoun there, but let it go.  "In any case, time is wasting.  Today we're going to be working on your focus, and later this evening we'll start with your reading work.  Now, take a look at that first stone again..."

A month passes, most of your time taken up with chores and duties and the rest learning to read or doing focus and witchsight practice with Pip.  The former is extremely slow going, but by the end of the month you can very slowly read words and sentences, although the pronunciation of the letters sometimes trips you up.  You have to ask Pip for a lot of help.  The latter part is much easier, as you natural talent helps you a great deal.  You are vaguely aware that Frederick is undertaking witchsight practice as well and finding it much more difficult.  By the end of the month you have not only trained your witchsight, but you have a good sense of how many times a day you can use it clearly and how long you can sustain your focus for.  Like using a muscle, it gets easier with each use.

You see little of Master Harold in this time, who spends most of his days in his study or out hunting with Aethelwine and occasionally Tostig, which results in a fair bit of work for you taking care of the horses.  It is a lonely sort of time, as Frederick seems intent on ignoring you and you barely speak to the elder apprentices, seeing only Pip most of the day.

At the dawn of the second month, you meet Pip as usual for reading practice.  The snows are heavy outside and the fireplace does little to chase off the chill.

"Ah, good to see you.  How are the horses?"

"Bess is with foal, I think.  You'll need to get in someone who can manage the birth when the time comes, I've never done it before."

"Really?  I thought they didn't get pregnant in winter."

"I'm pretty sure she's been carrying since late summer.  I thought you were taking care of the horses then?"

"I know how to ride horses and drive them, and I can feed them as well.  We had grooms to take care of things like that back home."

"Right, well I grew up around them and I can tell you she's with foal.  Probably birth towards the end of spring, so please let the Master know to get someone in to help with that."

"Thanks.  Anyhow, to business.  I think we've done all we need to with your witchsight practice, and I think we can pare back your duties a little as well.  So in addition to reading work, I'll be teaching you your first true spell.  On top of that, it would be best if you learnt a few additional skills as well.  Aethelwine can teach you swordplay, as well as how to wear and use armour and shields, although that does mean spending more time with him.  Tostig can teach you to use a bow, crossbow and musket, and how to hunt.  Or if you'd prefer you can stick with me and I can teach you about stewardship and book-keeping, which are essential to running an estate or business.  Which would you prefer?

"Additionally, please pick which spell you would like to start learning.  I can teach you how to create a very simple shield from magic, how to mimic the effects of acid, create heat or cold, light, sound, how to make someone momentarily confused or out of breath, how to move objects remotely, or how to leave messages that only someone with witchsight can see.  Which would you like to start with?"

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 05:58:38 am »

While Pip is familiar, stewardship and book-keeping sound terribly dull and Frederick would be better than us at that sort of things anyways. We should learn with Aethelwine on swordplay and swordsmanship. It would be a good practice for our instinct and mental acuity, not to mention the more immediate benefit that comes from spending time with the eldest apprentice, who would have more knowledge of what is to come and thus would give us an edge in actually becoming an apprentice.

As for spells, we should learn how to move objects remotely. It sounds simple and more useful right now compared to other spells.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 07:27:59 am »

I vote Move Objects Remotely. If it turns out we cant do anything particularly intricate/forceful i.e. writing, telekinetic punch them i say we learn Magic Shield and Acid.

Then we shall rid the land of those cannibalistic Tree-Humpers.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 07:30:44 am »

Also, i vote we train in bows. Being able to shoot arrows imbued with raw destruction would be pretty Armok-damned cool.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 08:04:56 am »

Less cannibalistic tree humpers as terrifying child thieves who look just like humans except that they eat your soul.  At least, so the stories say.  Got a child who can't laugh or cry?  Probably an elf, kill it before you wake up one day and half the village is hanging from the oak on the village green.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:05 am »

Less cannibalistic tree humpers as terrifying child thieves who look just like humans except that they eat your soul.  At least, so the stories say.  Got a child who can't laugh or cry?  Probably an elf, kill it before you wake up one day and half the village is hanging from the oak on the village green.

AMEN PRAISE THE LORD ARMOK
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 08:52:29 am »

But seriously let me get this straight
So, the Elements are essentially everywhere. Im going to assume they are the primary source of energy/life in the universe (ExcludingArmokPraisehisMagnificantBeard) However, certain objects/materials can hold/naturaly contain more aspects than others. I.E. Dragon Scales would have FIRE and LIFE imbued within them due to their nature. Obviously its more complicated than that, but basically:

Expensive/rare/dangerous things hold magical power
These are key to doing anything more substantial than a parlor trick
And they most likely have a significant part in wand/staff making

Ja?

If this is so, i say we collect a representative of each 9 Flavors and keep them. They may be helpful in our studies, also it makes perfect sense for a 10 year old to collect shiny things because he can. All of these things should be small, so heres my list (This be a theory) Im pulling these ideas out of my Arse, but heres what we can go on

Potted Plant (LIFE)
Vial of Pure Water (WATER)(Duh.)
Bone Fragment (Destruction?, Mebbe some Preservation?)
Stone (EARTH)

Its Like Pokemon! That dont fight! Or evolve! Or move!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:00:44 am by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:08 am »

Ohhh, those kinds of elves.
Changelings.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 11:39:18 am »

Ill vote for Swordplay with Aethelwine and Acid Magic why? Becauuse as a Mage we will be mostly doing ranged combat...but what happens if someone gets close? A Musket won't help us then. Don't get me wrong here, nothing wrong with Ranged Weapons but till we are a full apprentice we need an edge if the Master decides to have his Apprentices duel. Also Aethelwine might deign to teach us some magic inbetween.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »

The following morning, you awaken before dawn, grab a quick breadroll, apple and some cheese (which you stole from the kitchen the prior night, not trusting Frederick to make enough breakfast for you as well) and head down to the stables to take care of the horses.  By the time you finish, the sun is just cresting over the distant hills and you head into the tower courtyard, where you see Aethelwine standing beside a rack with a pair of wooden practice swords, dressed in boots, trousers and a shirt, sans coat.  He says nothing, so you approach.

As soon as you are within a few feet of him, he whips one of the training swords out of the rack and - CRACK - hits you right across the cheekbone with it.  You are knocked to the floor and regain your thoughts in time to see him bringing the sword down for a second blow, which you manage to roll out of the way of.  You scrabble to your feet away from him, but he's coming for you with the sword.  You are vaguely aware of a wet stinging in your cheek.  What will you do?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:41:18 pm by Iituem »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12