Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Apprentice [TSG]  (Read 10713 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice [TSG]
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 09:43:44 am »

Join the apprentices, but don't drink yet. As long as we are not a full fledged apprentice we must be on our sharpest. Study the stones while in company and ask some question about the different flavours and colours, maybe one of them is going to help you with it.

As for the stones. There seems to be a reason you ordered them from dark blue to grey/white.

Once you are studying order them exactly as it has been written down (dark blue, dark red, green, light blue, yellow, teal, purple , grey (and if the last bit is also a color) white)

Focus our will on each of them and try to find out the different flavours. Figure out if they follow some kind of spectrum.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 11:34:36 am »

You sneak back to the carriage and take a quick rifle through the remaining luggage, finding some of the day's luncheon still wrapped up; a couple of pork pies, half a bottle of weak cider, a piece of cheese in butcher's paper and three apples.  You head outside of the tower, looking for a good hiding spot just in case your master forgets to feed you one day and you need supplies, or in case you need to run some day.  Behind the tower walls is what appears to be a long-neglected hedge maze and garden, now thoroughly overgrown.  You head into the maze and, taking care to memorise your route, manage to find an ideal spot; the ruins of a roofed stone pagoda in a quiet part of the maze.  You are able to wedge your package under the roof where it will stay dry and hopefully unmolested by animals.

You head back in to the tower and find that dinner has indeed concluded.  You get a little lost and end up in a rather impressive library as well as the kitchens, but find your way to the study.  Similarly to the library, the study has books lining every wall (and not a one that you can read), a hearth with a crackling fire, the master's desk, two comfortable chairs and two hard stools, which are presently occupied by the other apprentices, including Frederick.  You sit yourself down by the fireplace, and whilst the stone hearth is cool the fire is very pleasantly warm.  You spread your stones out on the hearth and alternate between studying them and joining in with the conversation.

Conversation runs along the theme of your pasts, and it helps to know your confederates for at least some of the next seven years (hopefully).  You talk about Duncan, and the quietness of your upbringing.  Aethelwine, the eldest, a blonde boy (almost a man) with proud features and a hooked nose, comes from a family of some repute in the capital, and that they had given up their favoured childhood to the service of magic, despite all that awaited him back home.  Pippin notes that as the third child in the family, Aethelwine wasn't exactly headed back to that much, which earns a curled lip and a pointed look from Aethelwine and a laugh from yourself and Frederick.

Pip explains that he was a merchant's son ("and still am, Father is fine, thank you") and was not initially put up for apprenticeship.  He had fully intended to go on with the family business, except that whilst visiting Master Haold had noticed his knack for the art and essentially conscripted him from his father as an apprentice.  He writes to them periodically about life in the tower and his studies, his father writes back with news of the family and comments about the latest fish prices.  It is a sort of shared love that you have seen before with Duncan and his sons and never truly experienced.

Tostig speaks, and it is only when Tostig speaks that you realise she is a girl.  Her frame is light and her features boyish, and with her hair cut short she passes acceptably as a young man.  She speaks little, save to say that she grew up on a farm and that Master Harold did her family a service, for which she was offered up as repayment.  She does not seem to feel strongly either way about her indentured servitude, and there is this sense of calm collectedness about her at all times, as if every word or motion she makes has been carefully judged.

Frederick, as you knew, was a baker and a scribe's son.  It transpires that his mother had died three years before and plans for him to apprentice to her had never come to pass.  As his father's fourth son there was no room for him to apprentice as a baker alongside his brothers, so his father had put him up for apprenticeship in the hopes of a better life.  He has no place to return to, and will not be accepted on a return home.

Conversation moves to lighter things, and you ask about the stones.  Aethelwine takes a look at them, snorts and provides no help.  Pip suggests that you simply focus on seeing them, and once you have a clear picture of them you will be able to proceed.  Tostig studies them for a moment and picks one up, rolling it in her fingers.  She passes the stone back to you.

"Look for this one elsewhere," she suggests.  "You can find it very close to home, if you know where to look."

You frown and study the stones again.  This time, you feel as if you can see a little more.  Beyond just what you've been interpreting as colours, you pick up senses of motion or feeling.

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »

Keep observing the stones. Poke one with your mind!

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 12:42:57 pm »

Which stone did she point out?? And when possible go out to try and find it, that'll also also train our sight trying to find it.
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »

Which stone did she point out?? And when possible go out to try and find it, that'll also also train our sight trying to find it.
The stone.  Duh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:22 am »

You frown at the stone, staring at the objects around the room and then out of the barred window at the courtyard beyond.  Nothing.  You try focusing on the stones again, trying to almost push at them with your mind.

For a moment you think you almost see a haze around one of them, but you get a sharp pain in your temple and pull back.

"Ugh!"

You rub your forehead and the bridge of your nose, trying to get the ache out from behind your eyes.  Pip leans over from his chair and scoops up the stones.

"Okay, that's enough for tonight.  You can't force your sight for too long like that, not if you aren't practised.  We'll work on it in the morning, no worries.  Get yourself to bed, eh?"

You nod and stagger to your feet.  Pip passes you a little wrapped cloth with some leftovers from dinner and a jug of weak cider to drink.  He gives you some directions and you make your way to your assigned room; a narrow stone cell with a spartan bed and no other furniture.  Given you were expecting to sleep in the stables by this point, it is almost luxury.  Before you sleep you take care to force yourself to eat the leftovers and drink the cider.

You collapse onto the bed, your thoughts fragmented and uncertain.  You have trouble focusing on anything, and it is in this confused haze that you drift into sleep.

You awaken the next morning, the faint blue gleam of pre-dawn coming through the edges of the window tapestry.  You can smell bread, which means Frederick is already up.  You head downstairs and into the kitchen, where your fat fellow is sitting on a stool near the oven, in which is a tray full of rolls.  He is reading a book and does not seem to acknowledge your presence.  You see a jug and a water barrel, so you dip it in and drink straight from the jug until the bleariness of your eyes passes.

"Good morning," you say.

"You're up late," says Frederick.  "Pip told me to tell you to head to the stables and start taking care of the horses when you wake up.  Once you've done that, there are half a dozen chores he wrote down for you."  Frederick picks up a piece of paper from the table by him and holds it out to you.

You stare back at him.

"Oh, of course," he says, not terribly convincingly.  "Well, you'll just need to come back to me when you're done with the horses and I'll tell you the rest.  When you're done with all that, find Pip and you can start your lessons.  Have a good day."

You bite back a few choice words and head out to the stables.  The water trough is actually frozen, so you have to break the surface to start watering the horses.  It takes you an hour to deal with their messes and needs and when you head back to the kitchen the oven is empty.  Frederick informs you that breakfast has already taken place and no, he doesn't have any spare rolls.  He sends you off on your next task, and this patterns repeats well into the afternoon.

At long last the list appears to be done and you make your way to Pip, who is busy in the library writing in a pair of large books, making one jot in one and then what seems to be the same jot in the other.  He looks up on your arrival.

"Ah!  I was expecting you this morning, where have you been?"

"I am sorry, it took a while to get it all done."

"What, the horses?  I'm usually done by eight, nine, tops."

"What."

"Why, what were you up to?"

You proceed to enumerate the whole number of tasks you performed.  Pip starts grinning and then eventually bursts into laughter.

"Oh, goodness.  Right, about half of those were Fred's tasks for the day, and the rest of those you were supposed to take care of after you'd met me this morning.  Played a fair joke on you there."

"I'm not laughing," you say, deadpan.

"Well, I'll just tell you what your chores are in person.  That said, you need to be up at least an hour before dawn, sometimes the Master will call on us at odd times."

Pip carefully blots the two heavy books with some paper and puts them to the side, returning his pen to a silver inkwell.  He lays out the stones from the night before on the desk.

"Now before we begin, do you have any observations to make based on what you've already seen and tried?"

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:06 am »

Uh... Poke Pip with your Mind!
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:33 am »

Lets not.

Try and explain our weird synaesthesia of colours and states. It seems to me they are linked to elements, but I don't know if our character understands that concept.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 10:58:33 am »

Poke the Paper with our mind
Poke the Stone with our mind again!
POKE ALL THE THINGS!
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:54 am »

I dOn'T eVeN kNoW wHaT cOlOr'S wHaT. MoThErFuCkInG mIrAcLeS.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 11:09:07 am »

Say that you think you might be trippin out. Cus we seem to be experiencing LSD
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 11:24:32 am »

Tell him about the different colors and textures/descriptions of the stones, as well as the haze we saw around the one.

And -1 to all but Kashyyk lol
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »

Tell him about the different colors and textures/descriptions of the stones, as well as the haze we saw around the one.

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »

Quote from: epiccoolguy

Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 05:27:26 pm »

You frown and try pushing Pip with your mind.  He raises an eyebrow.

"Please don't do that to a fellow mage, it's rude and feels weird.  Doesn't hurt, but it's uncomfortable.  Still, I guess you're getting the grip of extending your will around you."

"How does it feel?" you ask.

"Well, on the understanding that you shouldn't do this, brace yourself."

You clench your muscles slightly and feel something rather disturbing.  You can't trace it to any particular sense of touch or pain, but it feels like your magic is getting uncomfortably massaged.  It stops abruptly.

"Urgh.  Right, I won't do that again.  When I look at the stones I get this sense of, I don't know, they're not actually colours but they feel like colours, if you were able to hear colours."

"That's not unusual.  To me, it feels like music.  Aethelwine says it feels like throbbing in the air.  Unless you grow up with witchsight, which in your case feels like literal sight, you won't instinctively interpret it as a seventh sense so much as a combination of the familiar six."

There is a pause whilst you count.  "What's the sixth sense?"

"Balance.  If you get boxed in the ears hard enough the ceiling feels like the floor and you keep falling over.  Happened to Aethelwine once, it was hilarious for the first ten minutes, tedious for the next three days.  Are you able to distinguish any details with them?"

"Sort of."  You go on to explain what you sense about the stones, and how we saw a sort of haze about one.  Pip nods.

"Good, you're distinguishing between the basic thread types.  I'll go into them in detail when we do basic spell work, but suffice to say these are different flavours of the basic 'stuff' of magic.  Classically these were named after the five elements, plus or minus a few, and whilst the names are not really accurate and can be a bit misleading, it makes them easy to remember.  I'll tell you their names later, but do you notice anything about the first one?" He gestures to the stone in question"In particular, can you see anything like it elsewhere?  I'll give you a clue, a couple of examples are in this room."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12