Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - International/'OOC' Thread - 1782  (Read 29132 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - International/'OOC' Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:05 pm »

Please, just no thread hopping regardless of the reasoning behind it. I really want this game to not end up just a bunch of angry, revenge seeking thread-readers.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

I am afraid it's apparently on the best way to it, since it took literally everyone literally 0 seconds to assume I look into other people threads. Seriously, one more person... >:[
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2015, 12:17:12 pm »

I am afraid it's apparently on the best way to it, since it took literally everyone literally 0 seconds to assume I look into other people threads. Seriously, one more person... >:[

You made it sound exactly like you did .-.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2015, 12:20:05 pm »

You made it sound exactly like you did .-.
I'm pretty sure he said he did.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:21 pm »

I guess I could swoop down there and cheeeeeeck... :>
There's really only two interpretations of this. Either it's the truth or he's lying about it for fun(?) and profit(???).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2015, 12:23:28 pm »

I guess I could swoop down there and cheeeeeeck... :>
EDIT:
I am actually not suprised, considering it's Funk, Ukrainian Nationalist, Playergamer and Sheb.

Senpai did not notice me :(

This isn't a very productive line of conversation though, arguing about metagaming on before the first turn isn't going to get anyone anywhere even if he did look at the thread.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:13 pm »

Pfff, I actually even forgot about that. I meant it as a joke because Zan said they're actually doing great and I said that in the style of "Well, it's not like it's common knowledge".
This isn't a very productive line of conversation though, arguing about metagaming on before the first turn isn't going to get anyone anywhere even if he did look at the thread.
WELCOME TO FUN AND DRAMA OF ARMS RACE, ENJOY YOUR STAY.
EDIT:
By the way, I know we haven't exactly started yet but... does any of you have any ideas for art? :>
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:22:19 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2015, 01:46:01 pm »

I support King Richards

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2015, 02:14:36 pm »

Pfff, I actually even forgot about that. I meant it as a joke because Zan said they're actually doing great and I said that in the style of "Well, it's not like it's common knowledge".

Jokes really don't go over well on a text based medium, as I've found.

Quote from: Kot link=t  opic=153991.msg6609941#msg6609941 date=1447608253
By the way, I know we haven't exactly started yet but... does any of you have any ideas for art? :>

Do need a flag for the Atterton Monarchy and the Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy.

Adjustments may be made in the future, but here are the rules as they currently stand.  Feel free to ask for clarification.

Rules Compendium

Do not look into the threads of nations you are not apart of.  Besides being bad form, it affects your opinions of actions your nation is making.

In the thread of the nation you are a part of, you are to suggest the nation's action for each turn and vote for suggestions of what is to be done.  There are five different phases of what is done with each nation.
-Phase 1: Design Phase - This is where engineers suggest the creation of new designs to be introduced during the coming turn.  The result of your project is hit with a roll to see how well you achieved various components of it.
-Phase 2: Revision Phase - This is where engineers suggest modifications to existing creations, to a reasonable degree.  For example, you can add sights to or make a larger version of the Brown Bess, but you cannot turn it to a machine gun.
-Phase 3: Production Phase - This phase is where engineers determine which of their techs that they decide to aid the production of in their production facility, cheapening that by 1 level for that turn.
-Phase 4: Espionage Phase - This phase is where it is determined what action your spies take, whether to steal technology, sabotage production, counter the actions of other spies, fund dissidents, etc.
-Phase 5: Focus Phase - This phase is where it is determined which location will have the focus of the nation's war effort delivered to.  You may decide to focus on shoring up defenses, striking at a location, etc.
After all three nations have gone through these five phases, the turn is written up and sent out and the next turn starts up.  In a standard turn, only one action may be taken at each phase, but credits may be given for one turn to allow the performing of more than one action.

Expense and Resource are taken from the Arms Race thread.
Expense: Regular equipment can be given to everyone in your army. If a piece of equipment is difficult to produce, it has expense levels: 1 is Expensive, 2 is Very Expensive, and 3 is A National Effort. It doesn't matter how many different types you have, as you'll still only be making a total number of guns enough to equip everyone. Inexpensive equipment could be given to every soldier, if you want. Cheap vehicles means everyone can ride around in one instead of marching. Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers). Expensive Vehicles means a pretty good number can be used for support. Very Expensive equipment can be used by special squads only, about 1 in 100 soldiers. Very Expensive vehicles are few and far between on the battlefield, or there are only a couple squads in total. Your nation can only deploy one National Effort at a time. It had better be an aircraft carrier, or a nuke, or a giant walking robot if you want this to be worth it. If you have multiple weapons at a price tier, then soldiers/squads choose one for the situation. Some weapons, EG crewed machine guns and artillery, don't benefit much from being Inexpensive because there aren't many situations where you'd want everyone using one.

You might gain an Expense Credit for a certain type of unit, reducing the expense by 1- for example, if High Command desperately wants an airplane, they'll offer an expense credit for it, which might reduce your new bomber from A National Effort to Very Expensive. Monetary gains from trade will be represented this way.

The expense of equipment is determined when you design it. The more new features, or the more ambitious, the more likely it is to be expensive. You can attempt to reduce the expense when revising equipment- this might introduce bugs, or it might permanently reduce the expense of that technology.

Resources: You can gain more Ore and Oil by gaining territory, and by designing better general transportation (trains, trucks and boats). If you lose it and a product becomes more expensive, then soldiers will cease to use it as they run out of ammo/replacement parts.

For example, a car might cost Ore 3, Oil 2. If your nation has Ore 2, Oil 1, a product which costs Ore 3, Oil 2 gains an expense level, because you're short 2 resources. If you're short 3 or more resources, it gains two expense levels (Very Expensive). If it's also Complex, that's three expense levels (A National Effort). Something that costs 6 or more resources than you have gains three expense levels right away (A National Effort). If something adds up to 4 or more expense levels, it is Theoretical and cannot actually be built. Ore represents total mining effort, so if you have a gun made of a rare or difficult to mine metal (let's say titanium) it might have an ore cost of 2 or 3 despite being only a rifle. If a large truck can be made mostly from low-quality steel, it might be cheaper. For now I'm ignoring train cost and assuming that new technologies are either cost effective or considered failures automatically.

There is a minor addition to the expense levels in regards to ship:
If a new variety of ship or similar is something vastly different to what is currently being produced, a complexity penalty is applied to it for one turn as a shipyard is made to produce the vessel.  If this pushes the vessel into the 'National Effort' level and the Production Phase is not used on it, only the shipyard would be made in that year.  The penalty will then be removed the next turn.  This penalty will only be able to push the creation to the national effort level, so if something would already be at the national effort level, it will not be pushed to theoretical.

Diplomacy may be performed between nations at certain points of the conflict.  The OP of the International thread and the turn posts will mark whether diplomacy is open during that year.  Generally, this signifies points where Armistices may be made in order to allow for the potential advancement of time by a few years.  Diplomatic relations of this sort will typically be carried out within the International thread, but messages between two nations via a personal message that are also put up in the threads of both nations for debate.  At the current time, diplomatic attempts between the nations are currently ignored by the leaders of the nations.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2015, 02:20:38 pm »

Do need a flag for the Atterton Monarchy and the Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy.
Throw me the general idea for them, I remember that there was something about flag of one of them in the first post in their thread but I can't really go there. I'll maybe work on them since drawing a motorcycle in detail is more exhausting than I would have thought.
At the current time, diplomatic attempts between the nations are currently ignored by the leaders of the nations.
Awwwwwwww...

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »

Joining the British/Loyalist Engineering effort.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2015, 04:09:13 pm »

Joining the British/Loyalist Engineering effort.

Alright then.  Jump in the thread.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »

I think that I'll join with the Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy, if that's alright.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:46:44 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »

I think that I'll join with the Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy, if that's alright.

Understood.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »

I should probably join King Richards' Engineers, but I read the Dunwich thread before I knew what was going on. I suppose I'll hail King Richards and just refrain from posting until next round.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22