Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Imagining a Gunpowder DF  (Read 4835 times)

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Imagining a Gunpowder DF
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:25:39 am »

The +brass artillery shell+ slams into an obstacle!
The +brass artillery shell+ explodes!
The Goblin Rifleman is caught in a burst of shrapnel!
The Goblin Rifleman loses hold of the dingo leather pickelhaube.
The Goblin Rifleman loses hold of the -human bone necklace-.
Shrapnel strikes the Goblin Rifleman in the head and the severed part flies off in an arc!
Shrapnel strikes the Goblin Rifleman in the upper body, tearing the muscle and shattering the left true ribs and tearing the heart!
A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack!
Shrapnel strikes the Goblin Rifleman in the left upper leg and the injured part is cloven asunder!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Goblin Rifleman has been killed by artillery.
The Elf Grenadier vomits.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Imagining a Gunpowder DF
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:48:09 am »

Shrapnel would almost never severe body parts, and embed a lot.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

I guess it's blast force that tears off limbs in an artillery burst, then?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:51 pm »

Shrapnel would almost never severe body parts, and embed a lot.

In real life, sure.  In DF, body parts come off at the least provocation.

I guess it's blast force that tears off limbs in an artillery burst, then?

Yeah, pretty much.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »

Regardless, I think that industrial or early modern warfare would fit in pretty well with Dwarf Fortress. "Stories of greed and industry," you know? And that sort of massive bloodshed (e.g. Crimean War, American Civil War, Tianping Rebellion, World War I at the very latest) is extremely dwarfy. I would certainly love to see dwarves firing cannons, manning Gatling guns, and conducting bayonet charges.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »

It would be nice if something like that was easily moddable in the game.  I know plenty of people have tried to mod in guns at least, with varying levels of success.  Artillery would probably require a lot of fooling with materials and interactions, and probably require DFHack to get targeting to work remotely right.

Of course, Toady has said that these kinds of things won't be put in the vanilla game I think.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »

I know old masterwork turned the siege operator that worked at the weapon into an immobile creature with an interaction that made an explosion at the target. I don't see why the same wouldn't work here, though you wouldn't be able to give the foe that kind of weapons. Machineguns are the same, just make it firing tiny rock "bullets" with high mass at absurd velocities.

The only problem I can see is that the high level of control over your forces that combat of that era would require just doesn't exist in DF. You can't order your squads into formation without extraordinarily screwey "defend burrows" assignments, or tell them to stop shooting and affix bayonets, or tell them to stop the bayonet charge Urist you should still be shooting.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:21:49 pm »

Wonder if it'd be possible to use catapults to fire exploding rocks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:09:10 am »

That's how I would try to mod it, probably.  I know it's possible to do something like that with specific materials and/or DFHack.  DFHack would probably be required to make it do anything more than vaporize though, which would be largely harmless.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 04:11:23 pm »

If there were a shattering/damage mechanic for containers, you might be able to use !!dwarven rum barrels!! as makeshift exploding siege ammo...but that would be a waste of good booze, and we can't have that!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:39:51 pm »

Yeah, although it would also require Toady to implement combustible / explosive liquids.  Right now they just evaporate.  That said, combustible or explosive liquids pretty much fit the requirements of the thread in general.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:46:43 pm »

I think it would be cool for an early modern setting, with arquebus, naptha grenades, cannons, etc. Still with a lot of heavy armor and other late medieval stuff.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:21:26 am »

Yeah, the late Medieval and early Renaissance periods would fit DF very well.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 12:09:23 am »

I like the idea that gunpowder or explosives could be used for blast mining, or to destroy constructions.  Basically, set an explosive somewhere and it "digs" an area around it based on its quality level and the materials it's blowing up, i.e. a legendary alchemists makes more explosive gunpowder than a novice, a blast can easily "dig" through soil or wood constructions, but it's more difficult to damage stone or metal. 

Historically, I think rockets were invented before guns or were around at the same time, so if there are guns, there should also be rockets. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:18:27 am »

I really like early medieval/dark age setting. The mid-late medieval has been explored a lot. Renaissance  less so, admittedly. I wouldn't mind powder kegs and limited gunpowder tech. Could be useful for traps and blast mining. Maybe throw them in a catapult or something. But generally I like the dark-age tech Dwarf Fortress has.
Pages: [1] 2