Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: OK, I think Steam actually failed me this time  (Read 6177 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: OK, I think Steam actually failed me this time
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 10:33:16 am »

If all else fails you could always Reinstall the steam client

EDIT:
Before you do that. Try bringing up the shortcut's rigt-click menu, and click to go to the shortcut location. Then try starting it directly from the executable; and also, see if the executable is still there
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:36:15 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 11:33:19 am »

The executable still existing is pretty important, yes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 11:38:34 am »

I had that happen once, it just went away without cause the next day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ME AM FAIL STEAM
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 11:39:30 am »

Physically damaging a drive by rebooting is very possible. I once completely broke a drive because an unfortunate hard reboot broke the read/write head.

I killed two hard drives in two weeks by power outages.  I've used a UPS ever since; do recommend.

What the...my secondary HDD is like 10y old [samsung sp2004], and it's still in perfect condition. It is slower now than years ago of course, but hell knows that how much data I stored on it in this 10 years. I used it for gaming as well for many years. I am going to buy a new PC in a couple of months, but one thing is for sure: It will have a Samsung/Seagate HDD. These are the best HDDs imo.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:47:20 am by gimli »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:30 am »

Hard drive lifespan varies wildly on quality and condition. I once had one quit on me after only six months for no reason, I suspect the retailer just sold me a refab.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 11:46:16 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 11:59:30 am »

Hard drive lifespan varies wildly on quality and condition.

That's why I buy "top quality" HW only. Heh, but you need to be lucky as well. ~ 5-6 years ago I purchased a top rated ASUS video card, and it had a 1 year warranty. I am not kidding...it threw in the towel 1 day after the warranty has ended. I was like......OMFG OMFG OMFG.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:01:01 pm by gimli »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:58 pm »

Physically damaging a drive by rebooting is very possible. I once completely broke a drive because an unfortunate hard reboot broke the read/write head.

I killed two hard drives in two weeks by power outages.  I've used a UPS ever since; do recommend.

That's why I use flash sticks set for quick removal now
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 02:09:44 pm »

Code: [Select]
Task Manager -> Steam.exe -> RMB -> End Process -> ??? -> Profit?!
                                   |
                                  \./
                              No Steam.exe? -> Reboot -> Try again -> ??? -> Profit?!
                                                                            |
                                                                           \./
                                                                       No working? -> ??? -> PROFIT! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Flowchart was successful.
Never woulda thought to check Task Manager like that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 01:26:21 am »

I've problems that have gotten worse from rebooting.

The other day I was updating a laptops BIOS and walked away for a bit. A co-worker decided to fix the blank screen by rebooting...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:33 am »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 10:23:12 am »

Thirty lashes, at least.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:23 am »

I've problems that have gotten worse from rebooting.

The other day I was updating a laptops BIOS and walked away for a bit. A co-worker decided to fix the blank screen by rebooting...
Wow.
Thirty lashes, at least.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 2 [3]