Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: A Game of Clones: Game Over, Town-Cult Draw!  (Read 51539 times)

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia: A Game of Clones, Day 1.
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »

CW

What do you mean "higher form of discussion"?

You mentioned earlier that one way of playing defensively would be to avoid the scum's attention. How would you do that?

How do you think the cult are trying to avoid attention from the town?

As Megas pointed out, we're nearing the end of the day. Who do you think is scum, and why?

Ok, so I don't know about everyone else, but I have a hard time processing information properly when everyone talks at once, at different paces. I guess, at the very least, a turn-based discussion would be ideal, but that's just something I like. Sort of like a trial (or at least, how the Ace Attorney series has led me to believe a trial is run). It might not work as well in exercise as it does in concept, but I'm one for it.

So, for a pr to avoid the suspicion of the cult, they'd want to try and come across as less valuable an asset to the town than they really are. This could be by playing passively or newtelling, but it'd mostly just be by any means that would keep them from seeming like the town would be set back without them- after all, if a scum reads someone as a VT, they're less likely to pursue them.

For a cult to avoid suspicion, they'd want to take one of two roads; trying to read "insignificantly" like a pr would, or trying to read to the rest of the town as a stellar player. This would be a riskier method, as people might begin to question where the line is drawn between "stellar participant" and "quick-to-speak manipulator of conversation", but I'm clearly an example of how taking a backseat play could lead to attracting more suspicion in the first place, so it's really a choice between two evils.

We were nearing the end of the day, but as filipk pointed out, I haven't made many votes of my own. If I were to pick a player that I suspected the most, right at this moment? I'd say it's Saber. He never properly replied to my question; he quoted it, but never properly replied to it. I asked him how intense self-defense helped the town, but all he said at most, was how it helped him, which roughly equated to "being dead sucks", when you get right down to it. Not to mention, even after we accepted filipk's theory was more than likely incorrect, he still continued to use at as his main argument against him. Plus, let's not mention that despite his seemingly passive playstyle, when he does post, he tends to speak rather aggressively. I find the contradiction a little strange. But that's very much if I had to pick a suspect.

I'm going to make another batch of questions for my next post, but I figured I'd at least answer my own.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »

New discussion, then. How do you feel about TDS's claimed vanilla role? Does it bother you that he said it?

And no, not Clone Lord, but it is two words. Three sylables over all, rather than two.

"Clone Leader"? :P

It does. I don't see what claiming on D1 does for town, other than allow the CL to filter out who they'll convert.

TDS is quite lurky though, and as I mentioned earlier often appears scummy to me. This has factored into my (not very good) read of him.

However, he didn't necessarily claim the role himself... just said there was one. Subtle but important difference.

What are your thoughts?

Unvote

Fillipk: Claiming a power role is terrible for the town if you have no useful info. It just puts a target on your head. Note that I'm not voting for you; this is because I suspect you're telling the truth.

So... TDS, what makes you suspect fillipk is telling the truth?

Considering this quote, how does revealing the town has at least one boring, power-less role carry useful information for town?

I think he's telling the truth because it draws attention to him and scum generally don't want attention. However, I'll reevaluate him tomorrow since there's a good chance that he will be converted in the future.

*snip*

Frankly, I think that you and DarkStar are cult.

He is lurking heavily and you have already shown that you know a lil' too much about the game mechanics to be trustworthy for now. tntey hasn't posted much at all either, so he is suspicious too. All in all, I'll be keeping my vote on you for now.

Ninja'ed.

Why do you think lurking = cult?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2015, 06:32:27 pm »

You missed a bit, byraway, TDS.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »

What's happening with tntey,also?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:19 pm »

What if he's the Clone Lord? That'd be hilarious.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2015, 08:53:33 pm »

Then roo would be the Clone Lord.

Quickly tntey, post! POST!

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:45 pm »

Then roo would be the Clone Lord.

Quickly tntey, post! POST!

Oh, that's right. Sorry, roo. Forgot there are alternates in this game.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2015, 10:40:54 pm »

GRAAAGH ME PUNCH FAULTY INTERNET CONNECTION.

What'd I miss?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »

If it has not already been done, Extend.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2015, 11:02:01 pm »

If it has not already been done, Extend.

You're alright, brah. Though is there only one extend available per day, DA?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2015, 11:47:05 pm »

I'm disinclined to speculate on another player's role on D1. TDS might have been soft-claiming, might have a power-role, or he might just be the CL messing us about.
Fine, I can deal with that.

That question could be rephrased as "is this a serious vote, or are you only trying to see how I react?" so... you won't mind if I don't answer it :P

Contributions would be anything that advances the game, and helps with scum-hunting.

The most significant instance of you appearing to not do that was shortly after fillipk's alleged fishing.

You made three posts after it:

- #1 shortly before Megas pointed it out, though you said you didn't have much time to do anything beyond what you did, which was say how much priority we should put on discussing scum strats vs scum-hunting, and commenting on CW's answer to which role he might prefer.

- Then #2 about three hours afterward, in which you make no mention of fillipk's activity, despite it being (probably) the most significant thing to happen in the game to that point.

Four other players had made comments about it and voted fillipk, and your only comments to fillipk were asking him about his thoughts regarding an answer to an RVS question FoU had asked you, and then asking a hypothetical question about the cult that I... don't see as being very useful.

You also reminded me to answer a question about scum strats, and asking FoU about what he thinks his analysis skills are like.

- In #3 you mention that you think fillipk likes to read a lot into flavour text (which, while interesting, doesn't necessarily help with scum-hunting) then play down your experience and skills. After which you imply you might agree with fillipk. (do you?)

You don't really comment on what fillipk does directly, as though you don't want anything that can be tied back to you in case he gets lynched and flips town.

Your second post of the three was probably the most odd, seeing as he has three people voting for him and almost every post was referencing him. Indeed, the posts between your first and third were referring to fillipk in one way or another, so I just find it really bizarre that you don't comment on it.
Re: Orange. Actually, I do mind.

Re: First linked Post:
And I don't see anything wrong with that post in particular.

Re: Second linked post, esp Pink:
Why would it be to my advantage to sheep an already growing wagon and add gasoline to an already blazing fire?
As you said, four people had already commented on it and voted him. I didn't see anything beyond that to comment ON, so... I didn't.
You noticed how FillipK DIDN'T answer one of my questions from that post? Just the hypothetical. Trying to rile him up and he just ignores it.

Re: Third linked post:
I said "if I said I could very much find FillipK's analysis believable," which is different from "if I agreed with FillipK analysis" or "I Agree with FillipK's analysis". Agreeing with something and finding it believable are different things, just like confirming there is a VT and claiming VT.
I don't particularly want it to be true; therefor I don't agree. However, I believe that he could be correct.

Re: After the Divider:
Tch. Fine, but if he flipped town would there be anything tying him to anyone else, either? It's not that I'm avoiding commenting directly, but if it seems like I'm doing so then that's your perception of me.

How bizarre you find that doesn't concern me. However, I feel like you're trying to build a solid case on me, which I don't mind, since I'm not scum (yet, never know later), and I applaud the effort you put into this.

Time to do reads. Be right back.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:17 am »

Format: {Posted on pages 1}{2}{3}{4}(50ppp) <Summary>, Read

Tntey: {✓}{}{}{} One post, promising more posts and nothing else. If he didn't start as scum, probably won't be converted until replaced. Neutral.

TheDarkStar: {✓}{✓}{✓}{✓} Not enough activity to write home about. Slightly contradictory, but not entirely. Intelligent desicion making, but no scum hunting or content to speak of. Neutral to mild scum read

FillipK: {}{✓}{✓}{} Highly active player. Wild imagination/theorizer. Until theory-gate-Dec2015 happens he uses fairly standard town play; answering questions, and... oh. It happened in his third post. I see. Provided further context than most players read in that post, and used my post as a starting point for his theory... eh, oh well. Is correct that he created lots of discussion, but all about him. Mild, mild scum lean

Chromatic Wasp: {}{✓}{✓}{✓} Active-ish. New, but "fanatic" mafia player. EpicMafia, so different meta familiarity, but very quick to grasp. Thinks TownLeaders are a good thing; maybe not any more.Neutral 

Swonky Donk McGraave: {}{✓}{✓}{} Barely active. New, but quick to learn. Does not like attention. Easily provoked by mispelled name. Learned hard way about editing posts. Keeps trying to avoid lynch by equating it to a lottery; and not scum hunting. Scum lean

Megggas: {✓}{✓}{✓}{} Very active. Strong scum hunting. Good at keeping conversations going. Picks up on details. Town Lean

FallacyofUrist: {✓}{✓}{✓}{✓} Active. I can't figure out why he said something about "Trump IV" in his post. Verbose but doesn't waste a word; well, that's not entirely true, but does make themselves clear. Neutral

Hector13: {✓}{✓}{✓}{✓} Most posts in the game. Inquisitive, active hunter, questions Megggas, TDS, FillipK, and myself without tunneling. Picks up on details. Doesn't like my post format. Town Lean.

Flabort: {✓}{✓}{✓}{✓} No entry nessesary, it's me. Town.
The Cyan Menace

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:28 am »

EBWOP: In conclusion, SaberToothTiger, who do you suspect is cult, and why?
The Cyan Menace

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2015, 02:23:16 am »

Okay, my rl errands are taken care of and my other mafia game seems to be over early, so I can put 100% into this game once again.

UnvoteSabertoothTiger's posts look a lot like paranoid newbie cult, but he didn't lash out at me or panic while my vote was on him, so he might actually just be newbie town who's still learning how to play.  I'm (barely) willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now since it's his first game, but I will be keeping a very close eye on him.  I consider him to be the second scummiest person here.

However, Chromatic Wasp looks like cult.  He seems a tad too concerned about looking like a lurker.  Not only that, but his scumhunting also seems a bit...halfhearted.  For example, in this post, after telling us why he thinks fillipk is scum, he ends it with the line "But that's just my opinion."  It's as if he's afraid to fully commit to the idea of fillipk being scum.  In his following post, he admits that he just went along with everyone else and was trying not to look like a lurker.  When he later votes for SabertoothTiger, he ends his reasoning with the line "But that's very much if I had to pick a suspect.".  Again, he doesn't seem confident in his vote.  The context for his votes is suspicious too.  His first vote seemed like an attempt to blend in and go along with the crowd, and his second vote only manifested after being prompted.  He's generally been passive and hasn't put much (if any) effort into scum hunting since his first post.  I understand he's got finals this week, but he's posted several WoT posts relating to game theory, so he's certainly had the time to scum hunt, but hasn't.

Normally, since he's a new player, I'd be inclined to cut him quite a bit more slack.  However, in his first post he said he was a "huge Mafia fanatic" and has had plenty of experience with other mafia games, so I would expect that he'd at least have a more aggressive and assertive play style if he was a townie.

Chromatic Wasp:  I'd like you to provide your reads.  Who do you think is town and who do you think is cult?
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2015, 06:38:09 am »

Hm. It seems I am fucking up spectacularly.

*snip*

He is lurking heavily and you have already shown that you know a lil' too much about the game mechanics to be trustworthy for now. tntey hasn't posted much at all either, so he is suspicious too. All in all, I'll be keeping my vote on you for now.

Ninja'ed.
I don't know anything about the game mechanics and apparently my theory was wrong.  Sabertooth, why did you think I knew stuff about the game mechanics, did I get the clone lord's powers right?  Are you the clone lord?
Lel @ that last one. As of now, your replies to my accussations, summed up, were pretty much just lashing out going "No, you!". While I don't actually really think you're cult that much, you are acting very suspiciously. I am quite sure you are just trying to *not* get lynched, but as of now you haven't given me much reason to trust you. I said that you know too much about the game mechanics and by that I meant that you seem to take your theories far too seriously and made very wild assumptions. I think I'm going to Unvote you because you don't really seem that scummy to me. Nevertheless, I will keep an eye on you.

Okay, my rl errands are taken care of and my other mafia game seems to be over early, so I can put 100% into this game once again.

UnvoteSabertoothTiger's posts look a lot like paranoid newbie cult, but he didn't lash out at me or panic while my vote was on him, so he might actually just be newbie town who's still learning how to play.  I'm (barely) willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now since it's his first game, but I will be keeping a very close eye on him.  I consider him to be the second scummiest person here.

However, Chromatic Wasp looks like cult.  He seems a tad too concerned about looking like a lurker.  Not only that, but his scumhunting also seems a bit...halfhearted.  For example, in this post, after telling us why he thinks fillipk is scum, he ends it with the line "But that's just my opinion."  It's as if he's afraid to fully commit to the idea of fillipk being scum.  In his following post, he admits that he just went along with everyone else and was trying not to look like a lurker.  When he later votes for SabertoothTiger, he ends his reasoning with the line "But that's very much if I had to pick a suspect.".  Again, he doesn't seem confident in his vote.  The context for his votes is suspicious too.  His first vote seemed like an attempt to blend in and go along with the crowd, and his second vote only manifested after being prompted.  He's generally been passive and hasn't put much (if any) effort into scum hunting since his first post.  I understand he's got finals this week, but he's posted several WoT posts relating to game theory, so he's certainly had the time to scum hunt, but hasn't.

Normally, since he's a new player, I'd be inclined to cut him quite a bit more slack.  However, in his first post he said he was a "huge Mafia fanatic" and has had plenty of experience with other mafia games, so I would expect that he'd at least have a more aggressive and assertive play style if he was a townie.

Chromatic Wasp:  I'd like you to provide your reads.  Who do you think is town and who do you think is cult?

No list of reasons why did you vote me, which you promised before?
Here, let me remind you.
We should propose our final cases soon.  Late tonight, I'll return with my full list of reasons why I'm voting SaberToothTiger, unless he says or does something to change my mind.
I am slightly dissapointed. You seemed to have such a reliable amount of offences comitted by me that I hoped I would get the opportunity to laugh at respond to them, yet now that the group mood changed away from me you dropped it. Why?

EBWOP: In conclusion, SaberToothTiger, who do you suspect is cult, and why?
Frankly, I don't know for sure. My reads on you, hector and FoU are positive, so probably no cult, though if you are, we're boned. I haven't looked much into Meggggggas or Chromatic Wasp, but I'll make sure to change that soon, filipk is not much less nooby than I am, but probably isn't scum, tntey is nowhere to be seen and TDS is kinda-sorta-ish suspicious to me, so if I had to pick, it'd probably be him.

New discussion, then. How do you feel about TDS's claimed vanilla role? Does it bother you that he said it?

And no, not Clone Lord, but it is two words. Three sylables over all, rather than two.

"Clone Leader"? :P

It does. I don't see what claiming on D1 does for town, other than allow the CL to filter out who they'll convert.

TDS is quite lurky though, and as I mentioned earlier often appears scummy to me. This has factored into my (not very good) read of him.

However, he didn't necessarily claim the role himself... just said there was one. Subtle but important difference.

What are your thoughts?

Unvote

Fillipk: Claiming a power role is terrible for the town if you have no useful info. It just puts a target on your head. Note that I'm not voting for you; this is because I suspect you're telling the truth.

So... TDS, what makes you suspect fillipk is telling the truth?

Considering this quote, how does revealing the town has at least one boring, power-less role carry useful information for town?

I think he's telling the truth because it draws attention to him and scum generally don't want attention. However, I'll reevaluate him tomorrow since there's a good chance that he will be converted in the future.

*snip*

Ninja'ed.

Why do you think lurking = cult?

Why? It takes away attention from the lurker and is a very simple strategy to avoid lynching, if bad at persuasion. While it does not immediately prove that someone is guilty, it is a good indicator that the lurker is not to be trusted much. You are posting little, less than me, and you're posting defensively, so I don't trust you, and you're my likeliest pick for cult. How does that make you feel?

Everyone: I might have missed you questions towards me, if you would be so kind as to repost them? And if you think I'm acting suspicious, why don't you please quote exactly what do you find scummy about what I said.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38