Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: A Game of Clones: Game Over, Town-Cult Draw!  (Read 51543 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia: A Game of Clones, Day 1.
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2015, 03:50:11 am »

Meh. Extend.

SabertoothTiger is this your first game of mafia? of bay12 mafia?
Please. Why are you voting to lynch somebody without a real reason? I think you are hoping to get a kill early on, so that being cult is easier for you.

SabertoothTiger, if you think fillipk is cult, then why are you neither interrogating him nor voting for him?  You also seem overly defensive in every one of your posts.  Do you know how to scumhunt?
(pfp)
Megggas, I was waiting for filipk to respond. He didn't. I think he is trying for an additional kill early on to make the game easier. As of me playing defensively, I am. I do play defensively, because I was waiting for someone to fuck up. filipk did so, so I voted him.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2015, 03:56:42 am »

Oh, and also. Interrogation requires a response from the interrogated, and filipk clearly doesn't care someone who doesn't vote everyone around. Which makes me think that he is cult. Make of that what you will.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:13 am »

Oh, and also. Interrogation requires a response from the interrogated, and filipk clearly doesn't care someone who doesn't vote everyone around. Which makes me think that he is cult. Make of that what you will.

Well you're kinda jumping on the back of other people's work there, mang. You haven't interrogated anyone, never mind the person you're voting for.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:06 am »

flabort

So... 7 - 8 minds aren't bright enough to out-think 1-2 minds?

1. Well... it depends on the minds.

If we assume for a moment that the CL is one of the more experienced players - in this example let's arbitrarily say you - they're going to have a better likelihood (that doesn't look spelled correctly :-\) of out-thinking everyone else.

CW and SaberTooth are self-confessed n00bs, and haven't done much toward rooting out the CL and have looked a little scummy themselves (both points as a result of inexperience)

TDS and Tntey have both posted little, so they may be keeping up with the game, but not contributing.

Megas and I are still relatively new (I think Megas is concurrently playing his fourth game with this one, and I think we've both never played with a cult before) but I would suggest we're active and scumhunting reasonably well. Megas also pointed out a potential strat for the cult that ah... some of us, are taking seriously.

FoU and fillipk I think are both saying they're not inexperienced, but they're not expert either.

So yeah, I think it's quite possible for 1 or 2 minds to out-think 7 or 8 others. Unlikely, perhaps, but possible.

No, I know, if we're discussing it it means that discussion power isn't going to scum hunting, but if we don't discuss it, will we be doing more scum hunting or will we be wasting time not discussing anything?
Obviously getting stuck in a trap of thinking that one strat is superior to another is wrong, which is why we would have to brainstorm a whole lot.

2. At this point we're not discussing it, we're discussing the merits of discussing it, which is not helping us find scum. As I alluded to earlier, discussing it won't help us find scum either, just consider what the scum might do.

You've been pushing this quite hard for most of D1, flabort, and I'm finding it to be bothersome... active lurking, perhaps? I'll let you know my thoughts later when I've gone back through things.

I don't know if his does, but mine does. Withholding that name for now, thanks, but there is a name.

Silly question: Is that name "Clone Lord"?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2015, 10:00:10 am »

"We need more time to talk about this," says the man in a mask that strangely resembles a well known news anchor, to a general murmur of agreement. After a brief period of panic when it becomes apparent that the coffee maker has shut down along with everything else, you all settle down to talk some more.

Votecount:
fillipk (2): FallacyofUrist, SaberToothTiger
SaberTooth Tiger (1): Megggas
Chromatic Wasp (1): fillipk

Extend (5): hector13, flabort, Megggas, fillipk, SaberToothTiger

Day ends Thursday the 17th at 1800 GMT, in ~27 hours.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2015, 10:27:23 am »

I'm going to vote flabort, 'cause I think his questions have been quite shallow so far, as though he's trying to look like he's contributing, but doesn't actually really want to add anything to the game.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2015, 12:02:44 pm »

Meh. Extend.

SabertoothTiger is this your first game of mafia? of bay12 mafia?
Please. Why are you voting to lynch somebody without a real reason? I think you are hoping to get a kill early on, so that being cult is easier for you.

SabertoothTiger, if you think fillipk is cult, then why are you neither interrogating him nor voting for him?  You also seem overly defensive in every one of your posts.  Do you know how to scumhunt?
(pfp)
Megggas, I was waiting for filipk to respond. He didn't. I think he is trying for an additional kill early on to make the game easier. As of me playing defensively, I am. I do play defensively, because I was waiting for someone to fuck up. filipk did so, so I voted him.
Simply so I don't look like a liar, it was an unessesary pressure vote that i was going to stop voting you once you answered.  However you were the most suspicious person up to that point.  Your not anymore.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2015, 12:14:57 pm »

PFP
flabort

You've been pushing this quite hard for most of D1, flabort, and I'm finding it to be bothersome... active lurking, perhaps? I'll let you know my thoughts later when I've gone back through things.

I don't know if his does, but mine does. Withholding that name for now, thanks, but there is a name.

Silly question: Is that name "Clone Lord"?
No, I just like to come to a definite conclusion concerning my points/questions. Any active lurking on my behalf I blame on work, but I'm trying to avoid that.

New discussion, then. How do you feel about TDS's claimed vanilla role? Does it bother you that he said it?

And no, not Clone Lord, but it is two words. Three sylables over all, rather than two.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2015, 12:29:28 pm »

New discussion, then. How do you feel about TDS's claimed vanilla role? Does it bother you that he said it?

And no, not Clone Lord, but it is two words. Three sylables over all, rather than two.

"Clone Leader"? :P

It does. I don't see what claiming on D1 does for town, other than allow the CL to filter out who they'll convert.

TDS is quite lurky though, and as I mentioned earlier often appears scummy to me. This has factored into my (not very good) read of him.

However, he didn't necessarily claim the role himself... just said there was one. Subtle but important difference.

What are your thoughts?

Unvote

Fillipk: Claiming a power role is terrible for the town if you have no useful info. It just puts a target on your head. Note that I'm not voting for you; this is because I suspect you're telling the truth.

So... TDS, what makes you suspect fillipk is telling the truth?

Considering this quote, how does revealing the town has at least one boring, power-less role carry useful information for town?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2015, 12:36:24 pm »

*snip*

Frankly, I think that you and DarkStar are cult.

He is lurking heavily and you have already shown that you know a lil' too much about the game mechanics to be trustworthy for now. tntey hasn't posted much at all either, so he is suspicious too. All in all, I'll be keeping my vote on you for now.

Ninja'ed.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:39 pm »

PFP

"Clone Leader"? :P

It does. I don't see what claiming on D1 does for town, other than allow the CL to filter out who they'll convert.

TDS is quite lurky though, and as I mentioned earlier often appears scummy to me. This has factored into my (not very good) read of him.

However, he didn't necessarily claim the role himself... just said there was one. Subtle but important difference.

What are your thoughts?
Good one. No, not that name either. :P

I think if you're going to claim, you need to make it count. Something game-changing. Like if you were immune to converts, had a day-kill, or your ability proved that someone else's claimed role could not exist by its own existance. Typically none of these examples are useful for using day 1 either, though.

Interesting distinction there. So he could have a power that only works on VTs? Or wincon requiring/preventing the survival of any VTs?

My thoughts are that I still need to make my reads list, using this new data. I can't focus enough for that @ work, though.

I'm going to vote flabort, 'cause I think his questions have been quite shallow so far, as though he's trying to look like he's contributing, but doesn't actually really want to add anything to the game.
Ok. If that's how you feel. What do you think contributing looks like? Is there anyone else also not contributing (cough*tntey*cough), or asking deep enough questions? Why do you feel that way?
I didn't expect to get through the game without getting at least one vote. This doesn't bother me. But I am curious if I'm your pnly suspect right now?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2015, 02:47:00 pm »

*snip*

He is lurking heavily and you have already shown that you know a lil' too much about the game mechanics to be trustworthy for now. tntey hasn't posted much at all either, so he is suspicious too. All in all, I'll be keeping my vote on you for now.

Ninja'ed.
I don't know anything about the game mechanics and apparently my theory was wrong.  Sabertooth, why did you think I knew stuff about the game mechanics, did I get the clone lord's powers right?  Are you the clone lord?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2015, 03:28:36 pm »

PFP

Good one. No, not that name either. :P

I think if you're going to claim, you need to make it count. Something game-changing. Like if you were immune to converts, had a day-kill, or your ability proved that someone else's claimed role could not exist by its own existance. Typically none of these examples are useful for using day 1 either, though.

Interesting distinction there. So he could have a power that only works on VTs? Or wincon requiring/preventing the survival of any VTs?

My thoughts are that I still need to make my reads list, using this new data. I can't focus enough for that @ work, though.

I'm disinclined to speculate on another player's role on D1. TDS might have been soft-claiming, might have a power-role, or he might just be the CL messing us about.

Ok. If that's how you feel. What do you think contributing looks like? Is there anyone else also not contributing (cough*tntey*cough), or asking deep enough questions? Why do you feel that way?
I didn't expect to get through the game without getting at least one vote. This doesn't bother me. But I am curious if I'm your pnly suspect right now?

That question could be rephrased as "is this a serious vote, or are you only trying to see how I react?" so... you won't mind if I don't answer it :P

Contributions would be anything that advances the game, and helps with scum-hunting.

The most significant instance of you appearing to not do that was shortly after fillipk's alleged fishing.

You made three posts after it:

- #1 shortly before Megas pointed it out, though you said you didn't have much time to do anything beyond what you did, which was say how much priority we should put on discussing scum strats vs scum-hunting, and commenting on CW's answer to which role he might prefer.

- Then #2 about three hours afterward, in which you make no mention of fillipk's activity, despite it being (probably) the most significant thing to happen in the game to that point.

Four other players had made comments about it and voted fillipk, and your only comments to fillipk were asking him about his thoughts regarding an answer to an RVS question FoU had asked you, and then asking a hypothetical question about the cult that I... don't see as being very useful.

You also reminded me to answer a question about scum strats, and asking FoU about what he thinks his analysis skills are like.

- In #3 you mention that you think fillipk likes to read a lot into flavour text (which, while interesting, doesn't necessarily help with scum-hunting) then play down your experience and skills. After which you imply you might agree with fillipk. (do you?)

You don't really comment on what fillipk does directly, as though you don't want anything that can be tied back to you in case he gets lynched and flips town.

Your second post of the three was probably the most odd, seeing as he has three people voting for him and almost every post was referencing him. Indeed, the posts between your first and third were referring to fillipk in one way or another, so I just find it really bizarre that you don't comment on it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »

*snip*

Ninja'ed.
I don't know anything about the game mechanics and apparently my theory was wrong.  Sabertooth, why did you think I knew stuff about the game mechanics, did I get the clone lord's powers right?  Are you the clone lord?

You're being very defensive. I think you've voted for or FoS'd three of the five players that voted for you. Why are you so worried about being lynched?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »

Because I don't want to be lynched, and all three players have done something odd, and only FoU explained it satisfactorily when pressured so yes I'm voting/FoSing two of the people voting me.  They are acting odd, or have made an odd comment I want explained.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38