Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Under Bad Management  (Read 2792 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Under Bad Management
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 04:51:00 am »

Dwarves don't party if you assign a meeting space with . If you make a zoo, a well, a statue garden, dining room, etc. as meeting areas, they will organize parties.

I detest idle dwarves but I tend to keep at least 2-5 alternating dwarves on idle to feed and water my injured. For example, if I decide to send the masons out to construct Fort Doomshammer of Deathbringing Justice Slaying Hell, I'll turn off fishing, and all hauling jobs on my fisherdwarves. Something like that.

However, if you have a great number of idle dwarves (someone said earlier that out of 30 dwarves, only 10 do work!?)... you are doing something very very wrong. But again, there's no need to stress over it if you're not the type to care about that in your playstyle. I mean, the job gets done eventually, right?

What I can recommend is using the manager's screen often and manually assigning jobs to your immigrants the moment they arrive.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>However, if you have a great number of idle dwarves (someone said earlier that out of 30 dwarves, only 10 do work!?)... you are doing something very very wrong. But again, there's no need to stress over it if you're not the type to care about that in your playstyle. I mean, the job gets done eventually, right?</STRONG>
That was me, and I don't consider myself to be doing something 'very very wrong'. I'd have a mason making doors and stuff, a carpenter making beds, barrels and bins, a brewer, a cook, a farmer or two, a craftsdwarf making stuff out of the ample stones littering my fort, a glassworker making raw glass and one or two jewellers cutting the raw glass and encrusting the craftsdwarf's stuff with the cut glass...and for the most part, that's the basic structure of my fort. There might be other dwarves who get used less often (e.g. miners, mechanic, butcher, tanner, leatherworker, weaver and clothier) but are used nonetheless, but after the first wave of immigrants I've pretty much got all the dwarves I need.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:19:00 am »

I dont like to see more than 5 idlers with 120 dwarves, lazy dwarves need pump or stone detailing training, extra miners make more space nicely.
I say if you have extra dwarves they might as well be hauling stone crafts.
 20 idlers means 10 more for the military, the rest haul the new armour I make for the recruits.

And when in doubt there is always time for a tower to the heavens dedicated to the short gods.

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

I found that a way to get rid of all of your idlers quickly is to cut down lots of trees. While the woodcutters move around making wood, the haulers bring it back to base.

Works for me, since I am always running out of wood.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

Dig out a new room or two and have them haul out all that stone clutter.  That'll keep em busy.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

I personally manage to do everything I need to do with reasonable efficentcy with only about 30 working at any one time.

I'm not too worried about having the extras idle because once some hauling needs done, or you need something deconstructed, or your military just got owned by a single groundhog suddenly you have a wave of humanity(dwarfanity?) charging off to get it done and it gets done quite quickly.  Of course once I get around 40 idlers  the draft begins.

Helps to keep the miasma down too.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>If you have more dwarves than jobs, put them in the military! Even if you don't have weapons or armor for them yet, just put them offduty and give them a barracks to spar in. Usually worth it.</STRONG>

Actually, I find drafting dwarves without enough armour to go around results in half of the buggers getting spine or neck injuries, which never heal and prevent them from sparring ever again. I really wish that would get fixed, critical injuries like that almost never happen in martial arts training irl.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>

Actually, I find drafting dwarves without enough armour to go around results in half of the buggers getting spine or neck injuries, which never heal and prevent them from sparring ever again. I really wish that would get fixed, critical injuries like that almost never happen in martial arts training irl.</STRONG>

That's cause modern day martial arts training have padded mats, safety regulations, and plastic or rubber equipment. Also, modern day martial artists can't punch another person flying 200m.

Dwarves take everything to extremes! Not like you pansy pinky-flesh folk.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>I personally manage to do everything I need to do with reasonable efficentcy with only about 30 working at any one time. </STRONG>
Heck, that's easy.  But what how about doing all the things you want to do?  A 30 z-level gold and marble statue of a foaming bear mug takes a little work, you know...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0170.html

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.
Pages: 1 [2]