Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Under Bad Management  (Read 2791 times)

Fenrir

Under Bad Management
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Out of the 44 dwarves in my fortress, 17 of them are idle. Is that a sign that I'm poorly managing this fortress? I don't feel like going through each and every one switching the relevant labor on and then off when the job is done, and having to remeber who's got what labors activated.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under Bad Management
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

Depends entirely on what you want to accomplish with your fortress and your playstyle.  I personally would be ashamed to have idle dwarves.  On the other hand, it's been a long time since I had to suffer through the game's UI for changing labor preferences.

Zorba's Dwarf Foreman.  Never play without it.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

There will always come a time when some of your dwarves are idle. Some people create menial tasks like moving rock somewhere to tidy up the fort, which keeps dwarves occupied for a while, but that's a short-term thing and generally pretty useless. Once I've got 30+ dwarves, it's actually not uncommon for 20 of them to be idle, and I'm not bothered by that - a lot of them will take a minute to do the odd hauling job here and there and I'm not waiting forever for such tasks to be done because I've got them all wasting their time engraving my legendary dining room floor; as long as they do the job when I need them to do it, I'm happy  :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

If you have more dwarves than jobs, put them in the military! Even if you don't have weapons or armor for them yet, just put them offduty and give them a barracks to spar in. Usually worth it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

In an unrelated story, I made the dwarf with the coolest name leader of my swordsdwarves and appointed him sheriff. His name: Nil "Savagerazor".

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>In an unrelated story, I made the dwarf with the coolest name leader of my swordsdwarves and appointed him sheriff. His name: Nil "Savagerazor".</STRONG>

Should have made him lead your hammerdwarves. Nil means hammer.

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

Nil "SavageRazor" the legendary barber gained earned infamy when he entered a fell mood.

On the casket is an engraving of a Dwarf and Dwarfs. The Dwarf is holding up a shaved Dwarven baby, and is surrounded by fallen beards. The Dwarves are pleading. The Dwarf is laughing. The Dwarves are despondent.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

I had an expedition leader called Nil.  I really wanted to kive him the nickname "Desperandum".
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Bah!

Useless loafers, the lot of them.

I say, let them haul goblin carcasses!

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Well, I think we're all bad management. It's just a question of how bad.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

The biggest problem with idlers is that they seem to party more often (please confirm), sometimes involving more important dwarves.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

it seems that it is mostly just idlers or anyone that can't find a job (same thing basically) are the only ones to throw parties

for me those darn kids always get any of my growers distracted from planting with all of their DDR parties on the tables or statues...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

That's why I make statue gardens instead of meeting places and my non-statue-garden meeting place is 6 squares, outside. They seem less inclined to party.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

I usually try to keep all my dwarves busy, but there's a point at which you just dont have enough wheat to grind, rocks to haul, trees to cut, metal to work, purring maggots to milk, or crafts to work.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I usually try to keep all my dwarves busy, but there's a point at which you just dont have enough wheat to grind, rocks to haul, trees to cut, metal to work, purring maggots to milk, or crafts to work.</STRONG>

You're just not trying hard enough.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: [1] 2