Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Over.  (Read 57495 times)

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Over.
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:18:18 pm »

Welcome to Emperor of the Fading Suns!
Again!

Quote from: Wikipedia
Emperor of the Fading Suns is a science fiction "grand-scale" space strategy computer game made by Holistic Design in 1996. This game was based on Holistic's in-house role playing game Fading Suns. The game had a wide array of units and a complex back-story but was rushed to market and released with numerous severe flaws and several features underdeveloped. In patched form, it survives as a popular abandonware title with numerous unofficial, fan-made mods.

However this hardly gives the game enough credit, EOTFS is a flawed gem that still shines almost two decades after its creation. A game set in the Dark Ages of futuristic humanity let loose into the stars beset by ravenous monsters, threatened by techno-barbarians and held together by the thin threads of a dying Empire further strained by the machinations of the corrupt League, oppressive Holy Church and the schemes of the players as the Great Noble Houses. All of this takes place in a galaxy where the very stars themselves slowly fade away.

EOTFS is best played with the addition of one of the dedicated mods that transform the fantastic yet fatally bugged vanilla into a universe worthy of galactic war, unspeakable horrors and vicious betrayal.

The mod we have chosen is the Emperor Wars Mod which in turn is built off of the Reality Mod, aimed at giving the setting a proper fluffing up with new units, a re-designed and populated map as well as a huge variety of other changes.

Galactic Map : Year 4985
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

House Rules:
Securing new fiefs on NPC-controlled planets:
Current Imperial Regency

Houses

joulupunikki of House Li Halan
(formerly sk128234)

Il Palazzo of the Hazat
Kebooo of House Decados
Margrave of House Hawkwood
Gollor of House al-Malik

Who among these worthy lords will become the Emperor of the Fading Suns?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:51:18 pm by Margrave »

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Restart
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:11 pm »

Game two begins with one slot open to anyone who wants that seat bad enough!

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 09:01:29 pm »

I think I'm down with Li Halan.

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:42 am »

And I am willing to take either Al Malik or Hazat.

Let's discuss colonization rules? I propose that we should pay 10000 for each new fief on a Church-League controlling world, 20 gems for Vau worlds. Leagueheim, Holy Terra and core Vau world are all forbidden to colonize.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 07:57:36 am »

And I fancy playing either Decados or the Hazat.
However, we should probably allow the fifth player to choose first, since we actually want to increase the odds of attracting somebody.

Let's discuss colonization rules? I propose that we should pay 10000 for each new fief on a Church-League controlling world, 20 gems for Vau worlds. Leagueheim, Holy Terra and core Vau world are all forbidden to colonize.
Sounds sensible. Simpler and harder to abuse.

I'd like to discuss the balancing issues found during the course of the previous game. Those would require changing the unit.dat file, but it's nothing hard. Striking a sensible balance in unit cost/abilities might be harder.
Here's what I've found that I think needs changing (Gollor mentioned some of those already in the PM discussion):
Spoiler: for length (click to show/hide)
Tell me what you think about those changes, and add your own observations to the list.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:28:31 am by Il Palazzo »

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:30:57 am »

I can agree to letting any NEW PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY A FUN AND ADDICTING GAME THAT IS THE BEST EVER AND PLEASE JOIN RIGHT NOW pick the first House.
I wouldn't mind Hawkwood again but my only real preference would be not al-Malik.

I have only skimmed the list but I can agree to most of that. Also a way to discourage favoritism for one particularly good cheap/effective unit is to increase their maintenance. Or maybe give some of the mercs indirect fire on top of/replacing their current loadout just to mix it up.

I can agree to that. Do we still want the 20,000 firebird fee for the first settlement on an NPC world?

Thoughts on the list:

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - NEW PLAYER WANTED
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:18:45 pm »

I think we should fully disable the feature to give anyone your votes or ministries. Maybe I am Decados and russian too much, but I simply don't like this idea. There are no 100%-reliable treaties in real world, and neither should be in this game.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 06:56:01 am »

From the description it looks pretty interesting, but what is the learning curve? It is one level with df?
Also, playing symbiotes is impossible?  :'(

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 12:04:06 pm »

From the description it looks pretty interesting, but what is the learning curve? It is one level with df?

This game is really very easy. Unlike df it has very nice graphical interface and EVEN tutorial! Which is very compact and informative.
However EotFS also has many hidden features which are hard to find out. For example disbanding the units will give you some parts of resources. And the research is very painful also, it has no trees and descriptions are at maximum "artistic". You will have to look at manual at the start of each turn and decided what exactly do you want to research.
The pitfall is that you will have to do your turn without saving the progress. It is common that it will require 2-3 hours and you are not allowed to close the program at this time. Sometimes the game crashes and you have to redo the turn, but it is very rare.
Yeap, you cannot play as symbiots, but with some research done you may recruit and use their units among your ranks.

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »

there's a lot of movement to do each turn, but i've played 8 turns now and i think i have a decent hold on a lot of it.  (i'd be happy to help OOC if it would be useful at some points.)

...And the research is very painful also, it has no trees and descriptions are at maximum "artistic". You will have to look at manual at the start of each turn and decided what exactly do you want to research.

i actually want to make a visual tech tree, i was having a lot of trouble figuring out tech decisions.  i might get started on that today.

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »

there's a lot of movement to do each turn, but i've played 8 turns now and i think i have a decent hold on a lot of it.  (i'd be happy to help OOC if it would be useful at some points.)

...And the research is very painful also, it has no trees and descriptions are at maximum "artistic". You will have to look at manual at the start of each turn and decided what exactly do you want to research.

i actually want to make a visual tech tree, i was having a lot of trouble figuring out tech decisions.  i might get started on that today.

sk128234,

There is a Tech Tree in the Reality Mod Manual in the EFS folder. Thought I would share that with you.

Vertab

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 02:51:48 pm »

Vertab, this techtree is a very simple. It doesn't show what each tech unlocks. What is a very painful, some techs may look the most useful, but the techs before may look the useless at best. Sometimes you miss this gems just because you wasn't looking deeper then the first tech in each area.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

There's also the issue of discrepancies in some units due to the changes that came bundled with the EW mod.
I think Nova's tech tree is something worth emulating here: http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/charts.htm

I think we should fully disable the feature to give anyone your votes or ministries. Maybe I am Decados and russian too much, but I simply don't like this idea. There are no 100%-reliable treaties in real world, and neither should be in this game.
I'm fine with this rule.

Do we still want the 20,000 firebird fee for the first settlement on an NPC world?
I'm fine either way. We could get rid of it for the sake of simplicity, though.

Thoughts on the list:
I'll make a draft of new unit.dat file sometime later during the week with your suggestions as well, and maybe insert unit stats into a spreadsheet if I can find the time.
We can then discuss accepting/rejecting/adding any extra changes we may think of.

+To help with mass routing of NPC armies we could also insert or add to one unit the officer bonus. Wouldn't have to be a widespread unit but just to give some enemy AI armies a chance to fight and not be instant toys for us.
This might be hard to do, as there are very few units that could fit the bill (the Church uses some already - St.Yara, Adamantine Order and Lexitus, but with the League you'd have to give it to either wolfen tanks, howler artillery or muster sentries, as these form most of their routable armies) and would only help a little - for some reason the AI seems to build units with 0% loyalty, so an extra 10% won't change much in the grand scheme of things.

+It'd be nice as a prerequisite to building Cyber-Vorox that you'd have to have a Vorox unit as a "resource" much like Nova's marauder unit but I have no idea how to mod that.
That should be relatively easy to do and add a nice 'feel' to the unit. The problems I can see with this are: 1) it adds some extra legwork to an already overwhelmingly micromanagement-heavy game (shifting those units from forts to labs for upgrade adds hardly any 'fun'; with marauders it's necessary to change the movement type), and 2) it kinda gives the unit an extra 'life', in the sense that in a pinch you can fight with the CV, run out of movement points or lose most of hitpoints, and then disband it for a brand new, healthy Vorox Guard (assuming that's the input unit you had in mind), with full movement points to spend. Kinda weird.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:45:39 pm by Il Palazzo »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »

Why don't you play a single player game (with the mod) for a bit and tell us if it's something that strikes your fancy? We probably won't start for a while.
It'd be nice if you had a good handle on how the game works, with all its quirks and bugs, before you decide to join.
Also, keep in mind that it's a huge time commitment, much more so than e.g. dominions. We really need a diehard player.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 06:38:17 pm »

I've never played Emperor Wars, but I'll give the single player a try over the next week and see if I like the vibe. If so, I'll be willing to take a slot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33