Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Game Over.  (Read 57538 times)

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - Elections! Murder! War!
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »

Turn Sent
=========================================

"Noble Electors, Senators of the Minor Houses, Representatives of the Church and League hear me!"

"You may have witnessed the combat outside these very chambers, this sight will be found on any and every world until all Noble House speaks with the same authority. Power in the hands of one will only lead to bloodshed the likes of which not seen since the Empires founding, a war which cost the Known Worlds five of the Ten Great Noble Houses."

"To prevent this calamity, some must take the courage to stand up and beat back this oppression. I stand besides Houses al-Malik and Decados, we shall fight until the Regent relinquishes this tyrannical hold over us."

"With the Pancreator as our witness, we shall prevail. House Hawkwood goes to war, in all it's glory and all it's horror."

-Elector Faustus Hawkwood

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars Mod 2nd Game - The First Scepter War
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2016, 08:14:17 am »

Turn sent.

As the Imperial Report states, at the beginning of this year there were detected ninety space ships over the skies of Byzantium Secundus! The huge and pride dreadnoughts and cruisers have gathered there in the previously unseen numbers. Most of them were carrying the emblems of Al Malik, Decados and Hawkwood. This three noble Houses aligned together to bring the punishment over the ancient and glorious House Hazat. Their ships with red outlines grouped in the other side of a system. While their firepower was incomparably lesser, their captains knew that in the case of conflict the ground space cannons would take their side.

But there was a third side. Imperial fleet under the command of faithful house Li Halan gathered by the navy station close to the star. While not having so huge ships or dreadful numbers, their vessels were constructed with the immense patience and caution. They were equipped with the best weapons and technologies available and truly could change the history of this confrontation.

The fleets assembled in the battle formations and the weapons are constantly heated. Only the enforced peace keep the thousands cannons still calm.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix, an EFS patch/remake
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:22 am »

Some notes:

I can't find any use for the following technologies

48   "name" "Monomolecular Technology"
49   "name" "Morpho-Mnumonik Materials"
87   "name" "Morpho-Mnumonik Armor"

I think they are a waste of RPs

-------

Regarding Vorox Guards as bodyguards, I think they work thusly: They have the same rank as nobles so they will be attacked first by assassins if and only if they are before nobles in the game internal unit list for the stack. You can see this by looking at the stack list on the left side of the planet window, if Vorox Guard is before a noble (up/left of the noble) then it will protect the noble. You can ensure Vorox Guards are before nobles by moving them in to the nobles hex from north, northwest or south west, or by moving Nobles to guards hex from south, southeast or northeast. In the spoiler image below, you would move the Vorox into the tank hex marked with X to protect the nobles in that hex, or the nobles from the nobles/decados lander hex to the tank hex to have them protected by vorox in the tank hex. And in the current tank stack displayed the noble on the top would not be protected by the Vorox while the bottom two nobles would be protected (hope this makes sense.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2016, 11:36:10 am »

If that's how you can exploit the mechanics for Voroxes, i.e. the targeting is not random but can be ensured with some busywork, then they will have to be rewritten for future games. They'll either will have to stop being able to guard against assassins, or they'll have to become harder to obtain. At 1 turn building time, they're the best choice for the job, trumping 3 turn Xanthippes and 5 turn Dopllegangers (their lower stats are not that important for what they're supposed to do), which also need special buildings not available to players on Byzantium.

I guess in this game we'll just have to deal with it. Unless we all agree not to use the ordering mechanics, and just pretend joulupunniki's analysis never happened. If we do our best to forget about what to do to make them first in battle line, the end effect should statistically resemble randomness.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:38:26 am by Il Palazzo »

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

I can happily wallow in my own ignorance, I didn't really intend to use the Vorox because I wasn't sure of their effectiveness, now I'll just fall back on how unlikely a Hawkwood Noble would have one in his entourage.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2016, 04:19:57 pm »

I think the possibility of maneuvering to bodyguard applies for any units with equal rank. I've seen a rebel stack with some House Keddah "bodyguarding" a Feudal Knight while other Keddah were "behind" the Knight as I attempted to assassinate the Knight with a Slayers Guild.

A question: On Grail I came up with a church monastery with one church Brother Battle and three rebel priests (at least that's what the icon background colors tell me.) So should I neutralize it immediately with superior force and hope the game does not crash, or leave it as it is and hope the AI never crashes on it ?

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2016, 04:26:48 pm »

I think the possibility of maneuvering to bodyguard applies for any units with equal rank. I've seen a rebel stack with some House Keddah "bodyguarding" a Feudal Knight while other Keddah were "behind" the Knight as I attempted to assassinate the Knight with a Slayers Guild.

A question: On Grail I came up with a church monastery with one church Brother Battle and three rebel priests (at least that's what the icon background colors tell me.) So should I neutralize it immediately with superior force and hope the game does not crash, or leave it as it is and hope the AI never crashes on it ?

For last ~10 turns we were playing with one Church monastery filled with both Al Malik and Church units. Neither units could move because the game was showing the error, something like "you cannot move because the route is blocked by enemy". Only this turn I have broken this pattern by disbanding my local units and leaving Church forces alone.
Also, for us both it was also impossible to attack this fief. At any try, through land or space attack, I was getting messages that I cannot hit my own units.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:55:32 pm by Gollor »

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »

Turn sent

With some Gems and the promise of countless firebirds per year we hired some smugglers to go on a recon mission to Chernobog ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleet construction yards on Byzantium Secundus were busy building fighter squadrons. In the end, that might not mean much because for every squadron built, a fleet of ships from the great houses arrived. Ships geared for war. And then there was that insurmountable League fleet hovering ominously over the capital. There were even armed rebels on the planet. The peace of regency prevented open war in the system, but for how long ?

What else could go wrong ? Hopefully the mad patriarch doesn't get any ideas. And if that Symbiot fleet over Chernobog decides to start moving ...

And even if nothing major happened on Byzantium ... Aragon, the Hazat homeworld where there was no enforced peace, was just next door.

Well, the Fleet commander would not be the first to pull the trigger, not today.

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emperor of the Fading Suns - Emperor Wars 3.5 Released!!!
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:43 pm »

Emperor Wars Version 3.5 Update!!! (Updated 5/3/16)

Emperor of the Fading Suns - Emperor Wars Version 3.5
https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

- League Scepters now distributed among Guilds on the worlds of Leaguehiem, Madoc, and Bannockburn
- Church Scepters now distributed among the Sects on the worlds of Holy Terra, Artemis, Pentateuch, De Moley, and Pyre
- New Image Uploaded for Planetary Hover Carrier
- Symbiot Blowships no longer have cargo capacity
- Combat updates to Imperial Guard, NBC Shock Legion, Slayers Guild, Gannock Technician
- Assassins now require Morpho-Mnumonic Armor to unlock

This is the last Emperor Wars update before the Emperor of the Fading Suns - Lost Worlds Mod that will introduce the Vuldrok World of Hargard and the Kurgan Caliphate and the planet of Hira.

Also, visit http://emperorwars.weebly.com/ to see the latest Emperor Wars PBEM over at Steam.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

I heartily approve of:
- League Scepters now distributed among Guilds on the worlds of Leaguehiem, Madoc, and Bannockburn
- Church Scepters now distributed among the Sects on the worlds of Holy Terra, Artemis, Pentateuch, De Moley, and Pyre

The moment the Church/League declare war on a Noble House, Galactic stability would implode and the race would be on.
It would be one of the few times I could actually see a player side with the NPC factions just to ensure that those scepters stay put. I mean it's far more likely everyone would declare war on the NPCs of course, but I could still see it happening.

Although I really do like the changes Il Palazzo made to this current game, I missed the 100 camo stealth ships and assassination mechanics from Nova.

What kind of space forces would the Vuldrok and Caliphate have over their worlds? Anything particularly special about Hira and Hargrad besides more land to expand into?

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2016, 05:05:40 pm »

I heartily approve of:

The moment the Church/League declare war on a Noble House, Galactic stability would implode and the race would be on.
It would be one of the few times I could actually see a player side with the NPC factions just to ensure that those scepters stay put. I mean it's far more likely everyone would declare war on the NPCs of course, but I could still see it happening.

Thanks, it seemed to make sense that the scepters would be divided among the sects and the guilds in the Lore, I am surprised I didn't think of it sooner for earlier versions of Emperor Wars. 

Also, in the current PBEM I am playing the Hazat swiped the Five scepters from the Church, not the League as I can tell in your current game. (It is of course not going well for the Hazat by the way because of that decision to steal them.)

I felt this was going to create a loop for all future PBEM games that the Hazat, Li Halan, Hawkwoods would always be stealing a lopsided number of scepters, so by spreading them out to the factions in the Church and League it will forever now make that dynamic a wild card going forward.

What kind of space forces would the Vuldrok and Caliphate have over their worlds? Anything particularly special about Hira and Hargrad besides more land to expand into?

I am still doing the research so far, the Vuldrok will have a Space Carrier Class Warship and units equivalent to Marauder Star Legions, while the Kurgans mainly have a Destroyer Class Warship and Space Fighters.

There will be some new merc units based on the two factions, it will give more options to the Hazat for expansion, and be a pain in the backside for the Hawkwoods though.  More details to come.

This is the new map of the Known Worlds for the Lost Worlds Mod.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:22:10 pm by Vertab Nukks »

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »

I'm very intrigued by the dispersed scepters. As is the case in many games, it's both a blessing and curse to swipe them. A blessing because you immediately have the voting power of two houses, a curse because no one else likes that. But having 6, 7 scepter houses is very interesting. Is a house having 6, while another has 7, and I have 5, worth waging war over? Similar to that scepter on Leminkainen.

How many are on each of the worlds? There are three League worlds, so I assume they aren't evenly distributed?

Have you considered adding any rogue scepters out there, as was the case on Leminkainen? Perhaps that would push houses to race for them and cause some extra drama. Granted it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the lore.

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »

I'm very intrigued by the dispersed scepters. As is the case in many games, it's both a blessing and curse to swipe them. A blessing because you immediately have the voting power of two houses, a curse because no one else likes that. But having 6, 7 scepter houses is very interesting. Is a house having 6, while another has 7, and I have 5, worth waging war over? Similar to that scepter on Leminkainen.

How many are on each of the worlds? There are three League worlds, so I assume they aren't evenly distributed?

The current break down is the following:

Church

(1 Sceptor for Each Planet)

Holy Terra Palace for the Urth Orthodox Sect
Artemis Palace for the Sancutary Aeon Sect
Pentateuch Palace for the Eskatonics Sect
Pyre Palace for the Temple Avesti (Inquisitors)
De Moley Palace for the Brother Battle

League

Leaguehiem - (3 Sceptors) 1 Sceptor in the Palace with the Leaguemeister/Reeves, 1 Sceptor with the Charioteers, 1 Sceptor with the Engineers, now in three separate locations guarded by Elite Golems

Madoc Palace - 1 Sceptor guarded by Scravers and Golems

Bannockburn Palace - 1 Sceptor guarded my the Muster Janizarry and Golems

Have you considered adding any rogue scepters out there, as was the case on Leminkainen? Perhaps that would push houses to race for them and cause some extra drama. Granted it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the lore.

No and Yes....

No, not in this game because I like to stick with the Lore, I never understood why there was a lone rebel sceptor on Leminaken in vanilla EFS but it made gameplay fun.

Yes, after the Lost Worlds Mod the next Mod will be call Paradise Lost.  Let me explain, Paradise is the Lost Justinian World and the only other House to receive Five Sceptors, so I am going to reintroduce it as a Minor House Rebel world under Justinian Control (like the Keddah on Grail) but with the scepters that were lost when the jumpgate was closed.  That will make it a prize for any house to claim early in the game because the jump route will be connected Pyre.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2016, 02:41:28 pm »

How's the turn looking folks?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »

It's being procrastinated upon. Or rather, the momentous decisions that come with it.
Give me a day or two more.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33