Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarf wrote a book  (Read 1278 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
My dwarf wrote a book
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:24:51 pm »

I've been away for awhile so I don't actually know if this is something that is supposed to happen or not, but one of my masons was recently possessed. He claimed a masons shop and set about collecting stones, gems, bones, and (oddly enough) the half rotted corpse of a dead camel. When it was done, it was an artifact called *The secret of the tower "the secret of the tower" a sheep hoof bound book.* In the dwarfs thoughts page though, he calls it "The passion of colors." On the artifacts page, its entry is blue instead of brown. Also, the book shows no sign of any of the materials gathered, even the sheep hoof it claims to be bound in was not collected by the mason in question.

What the hell happened here? I suspect, that if it isn't a feature, it might be related to the fact that I retired the fort to look at legends after a long period of not playing an then immediately unretiring the fort. I've noticed a lot of other weirdness because of that as well, such as previously made artifacts no longer appearing on the artifact list and being sell able. It might also be related to the necromancer I had in a cage until I retired but had vanished when I reclaimed it.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarf wrote a book
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »

Well THAT'S weird.
(PTW)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50:12 pm »

Please back up your save now. This needs to be reproducible, if it is what it sounds like :D

...not that fort mode dwarves can read yet...

(Of course, it would be possible in the next version through less exploity means, but who cares when you can have it now? :P )

Are you using any mods, or is this vanilla?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »

"The secret of the tower" sounds like a necromancer book. I've looked at the legends of several tower sites and the necromancers seem to like making books, so perhaps that was what it is. The necromancer got annoyed and possessed your dude to make the book he wanted!

Either way that's...weird.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »

Are you sure he made it and that unretire scatter didn't move the necro's book? Can you find the thing he thinks he made?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »

Gonna upload your save? I sure would like to check it out... I bet I'm not the only one either. That sounds like a crazy bug.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:45:31 pm »

Yeah, upload that save please. The name sounds spot-on for a budding necromancer's book.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:40:46 pm »

This is fascinating. Dwarf Fortress never ceases to surprise.

You should see what happens if you give the dwarves in that world innate reading skills.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:54 am »

Ive got LNP and using maydays tileset, otherwise, no mods.
I am absolutely certain that the dwarf did make the book, it even threw up the message and everything. most of the forts old relics were offered to the mountain homes for safe keeping.
I used DFhack once to remove an undead siege in the second or third year of the forts lifetime because reclaiming the fort seemed like an awful lot of effort to put towards figuring out how to train ostriches. as a sort of "buy off," the siege killed off all dwarves with the exception of an injured fishery worker and two children. It also killed all the animals and I had to restart the ostrich project.

{edit}
BUT actually, im looking now and I see another relic of the name that he said he made. I can't find the book anywhere but its in the list, and I swear that it wasn't there until the dwarf completed his mood. I have the sinking feeling that I've been confused.
found it, it was laying up on the mountainside in the cold dead hands of the necromancer I had caged. How did it get up there and why didn't it appear until after a couple relics were made?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:08:04 am by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:39:43 am »

Perhaps you can check exactly how it went down in legends mode?
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 03:09:08 am »

It might not have been 'discovered' until then? Dunno.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 10:12:42 am »

But this other book. The first one. The one that sounds so much like a necromancer's book. Maybe in the confusion, he swapped books, and you now have a very powerful little windfall, if we can figure out how to use it?