Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mineable Ice and Ice Fishing  (Read 2418 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mineable Ice and Ice Fishing
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

I think ice fishing would be an interesting feature.  For fortresses in frozen climates, it would make sense that the dwarves would know how to cut a hole in the ice and fish that way.  It's how the eskimos did it.  It would also be cool to be able to "mine" ice.  Just like with stone, but you get ice blocks instead.  You can use ice blocks just like stone blocks, making everything from buildings to statues out of it.  The downside is, if the ice gets hot, it melts, so any buildings you make out of it would be destroyed as if they were hit by a flow of magma.  This would pretty much make it impossible to use ice as a building material in any climate where it would get hot enough for the ice to melt.

Hmm... Dwarven Igloos?

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineable Ice and Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

quote:
It would also be cool to be able to "mine" ice. Just like with stone, but you get ice blocks instead. You can use ice blocks just like stone blocks, making everything from buildings to statues out of it. The downside is, if the ice gets hot, it melts, so any buildings you make out of it would be destroyed as if they were hit by a flow of magma. This would pretty much make it impossible to use ice as a building material in any climate where it would get hot enough for the ice to melt.

You can do all that already.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:00 am »

Also, currently, water freezes through completely. There is no water in it at all. Pure ice. Frozen through. No ice fishing. Too bad.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Im not getting ice from mining ice...

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Allen:
<STRONG>Im not getting ice from mining ice...</STRONG>

You should. It's possible the water isn't completely frozen or the tiles you're mining weren't completely flooded pre-freezing.

Or you're using inexperienced miners.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

Mining ice in an underground designated area can result in ice melting before you can use it. This especially occurs if you use ice underground for constructions.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

Ive only mined it on the surface by digging channels in frozen pools during winter...  I wasn't actually trying to get ice to build with, just trying to figure out how to get a better source of water during the winter.  My wells go into unfrozen water but my dwarves still can't drink from it until the lake that the water is flowing from is thawed.  I don't think that makes any sense.  The water is perfectly fine and not frozen (6/7), and the well works the rest of the year, so why not in winter?

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

Yea, I did this once on a map with 4 seasons. Built a section of wall out of ice then carved fortifications in it. Even during summer the next year it didn't melt. It was the ever-standing ice thing.