Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Politics & War: Nation Building MMO  (Read 9074 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics & War: Nation Building MMO
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 10:34:26 pm »

South Texas: We don't have power, but we DO have bauxite!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 12:09:39 am »

Ok, I have 5 free improvement slots and am just waiting on the cash  for my second city. Is ther somethign you reccomd I can build to sped up the process through say trading?(I.E what's selling right now?)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:27 am »

Joining! Ehndras as usual. Where are the B12ers at!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 12:21:21 am »

"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:29 am »

You might change the referral link-I've got five or six people already.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 12:32:52 am »

So I decided to spawn in Brazil, right over the coast near my home town :)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 12:42:22 am »

Actually, looking at things Bauxite is selling pretty well right now(more than aluminum, oddly enough), and 3 bauxite mines are dirt cheap(relatively speaking), so I went ahead and got my 3. My first sale should just about pay for all three by themselves when I get a good stockpile, and I still get $25k a day. No downsides here!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 01:09:28 am »

Ok, I have 5 free improvement slots and am just waiting on the cash  for my second city. Is ther somethign you reccomd I can build to sped up the process through say trading?(I.E what's selling right now?)

My picks are coal > bauxite > iron > oil > lead.
Uranium is overproduced.
Don't bother with gas or food; you'll practically lose money on them.

If you can go up to 1000 infra and have the steel/aluminum, definitely go for all the commerce improvements first (stadium, bank, shopping mall, subway, police station). They will earn you a lot more money than you can get from resources. You can get around $100k per day.

You might change the referral link-I've got five or six people already.

Who else is active? lemon10? Cheedows has 15k infra so I'm not giving it to him :v
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:52 am »

Me please :) I just started. LOVE these kind of games!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 01:19:54 am »

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 01:38:58 am »

Why not just keep yourself as the referral and share whatever money you get with everyone? Is that against the rules or something? 

I joined as the nation of Copperblazes. I got into The Knights Radiant and they seem to have their shit so well together, I'll probably just stay there for the foreseeable future.

If anyone else joins after this post, spawn in North America, it's currently the most profitable place, coal and iron prices are high right now.

Here is some of the important stuff I've learned that wasn't in any of the basic guides I read:

As a brand new nation, basically all you do is sell resources, and nobody can attack you. You do not need power to produce resources, and you're immune to attack for longer than it takes to enlist a military to capacity. So you can get rid of those buildings, and use the slots to make even more resources if you want.

A big limit on your early growth is the cooldown to buy a new city. The faster you build your second city the faster you can get your 3rd city. Alliances know this, and will pay for your new cities because it's cheap for them and greatly speeds your growth.

When you build a power plant, don't do something stupid like buy a coal plant because you have a coal mine. Do the math: sell coal, buy oil, and have an oil plant. Trade is free and instant, it's even more powerful than it is in real life, every resource decision should be checked against the market prices. 

Once you've joined an alliance and decided to leave beige, raiding is a good way to make money. You can start going to war with defenseless inactive nations with no army or alliance. More soldiers means more money, so you might want to build every single soldier that you can. It's a game of finding and jumping on the most profitable targets, you can put a lot of planning into it.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:14 am »

Coal/oil minmaxing doesn't matter so much. Oil plants are a bit more expensive. And the whole concept of the market is that one commodity can be more expensive than the other in the future.

Besides everyone switches to nuclear power as soon as they can afford it. The extra improvement slots are worth so much.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:47:55 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 04:12:33 am »

At the current prices, unless my math is wrong, paying the 2000 extra to build an oil plant in a 500/500 city saves you about 2700 per day. For a brand new player that's not a negligible amount. I wanted to show an example of how trade can be better than trying to make a self reliant supply chain for everything, which is what a lot of people default to.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 05:49:39 am »

I wanted to show an example of how trade can be better than trying to make a self reliant supply chain for everything, which is what a lot of people default to.
Trade is overpowered in this game. Delivery is both instant* and free**, so you lose nothing by selling+ any resources beyond a one day (or however long you think is the longest you'd be away) supply and buying it back when needed. Well, I mean you could lose (or win) because of market fluctuation, but on average you don't. I feel the game would be a bit more balanced/realistic, if there was a small (5-10% of sale price. It has to be noticeable, but significantly less than the national project bonus) fee on market transactions.

------------------------------------------------
(*)some games (f.e. Earth 2025) make resources take a few hours to get to market.
(**) Market fees are the more convenient, and far more popular way to do this.
(+) edit: I mean "put on market as a seller" not "sell to a buyer". Worst case scenario: you didn't sell your resources and still have them when you would have bought them back.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:54:42 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 06:09:41 am »

I've set up in ye olde canada.  Got coal, iron, and uranium.  I was going to set up new bases somewhere with uranium and/or lead, and become an arms baron, but I might stick here and become a nuclear powered tank warlord...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5