Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So butcher's shops and butcher's actually work?  (Read 3328 times)

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
Re: So butcher's shops and butcher's actually work?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 10:25:55 pm »

I've never had any big problem with butchering.

I recently saw somewhere on the wiki that a workshop can butcher bodies within 43 tiles of the workshop. In addition to that, workshops can also butcher bodies stored in refuse piles anywhere (both fresh bodies of kills to yield meat etc, and old skeletons to yield bone).
Yup, keep a stockpile for unrotten corpses somewhere nearby. The hard part is to protect it from vermin and avoid exposure to miasma.

Bodies of sapients cannot be butchered, but if bones become available through "natural" butchering (such as severed arms from an axe) those bones can be used for bone based production
So... 10x Serrated Disc trap covereth a multitude of sins?  ;D

Butchering tame animals in cages is the same as butchery of any other tame animal, while wild caged creatures have to be killed in combat. I think you can dedesignate the creature from the cage to have it released (and possibly hurt the civilian releasing it), but the safer method is to build the cage and then hook it up to a lever and have a civilian pull the lever while the cage is surrounded by a militia squad.
See also: Mass pitting. To prevent climbing, drop 2 levels down, no walls under the hatch... you know the drill.
If you want to make it more Dwarfy - add a water channel below in case of accidents... with two floodgates (pull corresponding lever to flush in the desired direction) - one leading to safety, another into 10x Serrated Disc traps, then sieve (floor grate), and access stairwell for collection of remnants and meatgrinder repair.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 07:47:42 am »

Ive not looked to hard on my Farmers but generally theyl butcher things that Hunters bring in, and to some extent things that die from other causes. really depends how long the body has been dead though.
note to self, elephants bring ALOT of meat.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 05:05:38 pm »

Miasma is easy to keep sealed in using doors and diagonal paths.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »

Butcher works, just make sure your butcherdwarf is free, the butcher is built close to corpses and if it's outside, that you have corpse gathering from outside turned on - this might not even be necessary.

To give it a good try, build a butcher in the caverns after a FB lived there for a while. There should be hundreds of corpses and you'll have an endless supply of bones.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:43 pm »

The problem with a butchery in the caverns is that the buggers tend to haul down the livestock to be slaughtered there as well as to the regular one.
Pages: 1 [2]