Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Mission 25: Void  (Read 29124 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 25: Void
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »

Halve the distance to the anomaly and try again.   If it doesn't do anything, halve it again and test again.  If it doesn't do anything interesting at that point, just record the distance to the nearest part of it and back up.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »

Halve the distance to the anomaly and try again.   If it doesn't do anything, halve it again and test again.  If it doesn't do anything interesting at that point, just record the distance to the nearest part of it and back up.
((Just keep doubling the length of your measuring units :D!))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:02 am »

make a quick prayer to the ramen noodle god for good sustenance then go watch Draco and make sure he doesn't get hurt by the mean old gravitational anomaly!
Oh, holy bringer of sustenance, lord of the holy noddle, here thine plee and bless these noodles to bring great sustenance to all that eat them in you glory!
Jackson gets up wandering to his pet Alot
Draco, buddeeeee, you out there?
make a quick prayer to the ramen noodle god for good sustenance then go watch Draco and make sure he doesn't get hurt by the mean old gravitational anomaly!
Oh, holy bringer of sustenance, lord of the holy noddle, here thine plee and bless these noodles to bring great sustenance to all that eat them in you glory!
Jackson gets up wandering to his pet Alot
Draco, buddeeeee, you out there?
If he's on another ship, you're not able to talk to him.

Ask if there's anything remotely helpful I could be doing
This is a good question. I'm not really sure.
"Great. Just what we wanted, an anomalous invisible tumble dryer.

Dubley, Jack, I'll need the two of you to keep an eye out for now and help me determine if we're still inside the gravity effect zone. We'll try to steer around it and leave a buoy to inform Scrupulosity."

Leave stationary buoy. Fly away from the center of (10,5) until the gravity effects stop. Do they suddenly stop, or is it a gradual effect? If first, then once out keep going around keeping quite some distance until we can resume our normal course. If second, try to fly so we can stay at the 'edge' of the anomalous zone and map it out like that, but otherwise keep going in the direction we were. Transmit any data we find to said buoy so it can transmit it in turn.

Also, and sorry in advance for semi-tinker (it came up in a discussion in ooc, but isn't exactly pressing, so I decided against pm'ing), but could you tell us how the tesla saber contains the electricity/lightning it produces? Does it need automanips for that? And if yes, does that mean it's affected by the lurker?

You drop a bouy. The gravitational effects seem to have a hard boundary so you move to the edge of that boundary and then continue around.

Well it used to use automanips, however we can easily modify the design NOT to do that anymore. Though it would require having a physical rod or pole extending the length of the "blade".

Take a video of the Alot in the gravitational anomaly. I'll post it on space youtube later.
Thats gonna go viral.

You halve the distance twice. As you fly closer, the thing's wriggling intensifies and suddenly the radiation levels start climbing. The motion sensors are showing the tendrils starting to stretch out in your direction.

Alright Red team, you make it to 13, 7 with no further issues and will continue on next turn. Blue, at 12,3 you encounter a large mass of what appears to be rock. It is several hundred miles in diameter and shaped sort of like a kidney bean. The weird part about it is that it is unbelievably smooth. There is no visible sign of any sort of roughness or elevation differences across the entire surface.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:13 am »

"It can sense us, indeed.  Well, we have gathered our data; onward for the glory of Steve!"

Back up away from it.  Once it loses interest, drop a buoy and go in the proscribed direction.

Lars then tuned his radio to follow the comm net.  "General?  This is Brother Lars.  It appears that is capable of sensing us, as we got closer to it and it tried to move toward us.  We are backing away and heading onward as per your instructions.  Praise to Cog-Azaon for giving us the chance to learn!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2015, 11:04:52 am »

"It can sense us, indeed.  Well, we have gathered our data; onward for the glory of Steve!"

Back up away from it.  Once it loses interest, drop a buoy and go in the proscribed direction.

Lars then tuned his radio to follow the comm net.  "General?  This is Brother Lars.  It appears that is capable of sensing us, as we got closer to it and it tried to move toward us.  We are backing away and heading onward as per your instructions.  Praise to Cog-Azaon for giving us the chance to learn!"

((I don't think you can talk to us, you aren't in an adjacent square nor are you in touch with the buoy net, afaik. You're on your own till you catch up.))

((The best thing your char could do right now is help think about things when we need to decide. I mean, we're in spaceships with an autopilot, not much to do but tell the ship where to go untill we either go out physically, need to do repairs or have to repell boarders.))

How can team red and blue be so far apart? Hell, how did blue end up at (12,3)? They should be at (12,5) or (14,6) if they didn't alter course.

Remember, team red should always end up at a coordinate of (2a,a), while blue and green should have (2a,a-1) and (2a,a+1) respectively, if they didn't veer of course or lag behind (and using the map I posted). I can see why red ended up where we did due to having to avoid the gravitation anomaly, but that doesn't explain blue.

Either way, team micropsia keeps going along as planned, aka travel along midline.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:54:38 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2015, 02:45:19 pm »

((wait why isn't draco with me? oh wait never mind, he is on the same ship as me right?))
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2015, 03:24:32 pm »

((Draco's on the same ship as us. I think PW was talking about the Ramen Noodle God being on a different ship?))

Now that gravity's back to normal its crafting time again. Completely butcher my two spare robot bodies and use the parts to build an exoskeleton for my good pal Sir Jackson. Should have all the necessary parts. Just keep trying until I either succeed or fuck up too bad to continue trying (which can't happen unless the universe suddenly decides skill doesn't matter). Or just attempt once. I dunno.

Dubley asks Sir Jackson "So, what did ya do to end up here?"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:36:40 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2015, 03:31:06 pm »

((I don't think you can talk to us, you aren't in an adjacent square nor are you in touch with the buoy net, afaik. You're on your own till you catch up.))

((The best thing your char could do right now is help think about things when we need to decide. I mean, we're in spaceships with an autopilot, not much to do but tell the ship where to go untill we either go out physically, need to do repairs or have to repell boarders.))

How can team red and blue be so far apart? Hell, how did blue end up at (12,3)? They should be at (12,5) or (14,6) if they didn't alter course.

Remember, team red should always end up at a coordinate of (2a,a), while blue and green should have (2a,a-1) and (2a,a+1) respectively, if they didn't veer of course or lag behind (and using the map I posted). I can see why red ended up where we did due to having to avoid the gravitation anomaly, but that doesn't explain blue.

Either way, team micropsia keeps going along as planned, aka travel along midline.

This is where I have you with some delays for going around things.

The problem may stem from me counting movement in a different way than you, since diagonals on a square grid are a bit iffy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:24 pm »

((Draco's on the same ship as us. I think PW was talking about the Ramen Noodle God being on a different ship?))

Now that gravity's back to normal its crafting time again. Completely butcher my two spare robot bodies and use the parts to build an exoskeleton for my good pal Sir Jackson. Should have all the necessary parts.

Dubley asks Sir Jackson "So, what did ya do to end up here?"
((why would draco not be on with Jackson))
well...I was sleeping and I heard this loud crash and woke up. There was this blinding greed and blue and red...then I felt something hit me VERY hard on the head....I woke up here next, no clue where I am, what time it is, and what happened.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:18 pm »

((Draco is with Jackson. Draco, Jackson, Dubley, and Miyamoto are all on the same ship.))
"You didn't commit any crimes or piss off a magistar or anything? That's not very fair. So, how ya liking ARM so far?"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:12:53 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:04 pm »

((Draco is with Jackson. Draco, Jackson, Dubley, and Miyamoto are all on the same ship.))
"You didn't commit any crimes or piss off a magistar or anything? That's not very fair. So, how ya liking ARM so far?"
I didn't commit any crimes...other then burn down a brewery at one point but that was an accident and no one figured it out. As for Arm, Pretty good. There are some weird people but well...that pill really helped me figure some things out...I think I like all this shiny cool stuff. YOu'll have to explain it all to me at some time, my good fellow.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2015, 10:53:49 pm »

"Smooth but unsuspicious looking rock discovered. Take a closer look or keep moving, Miya?"

Unless ordered otherwise, take us in closer to the kidney bean, see if there's anything unusual about it otherwise. Slowly, of course.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2015, 04:30:57 am »

"Smooth but unsuspicious looking rock discovered. Take a closer look or keep moving, Miya?"

Unless ordered otherwise, take us in closer to the kidney bean, see if there's anything unusual about it otherwise. Slowly, of course.
((According to pw, we are too far apart somehow to be in contact. So we can't answer that untill we're sure where we are, sorry.))

This is where I have you with some delays for going around things.
The problem may stem from me counting movement in a different way than you, since diagonals on a square grid are a bit iffy.

(y'know pw, this is exactly why I proposed realigning the axis system so we wouldn't have to deal with diagonals and the like -.-
it's still not too late to switch.)

Either way, for a ship on the mainline, his coordinates should always be of the form (2a, a). So, since acceleration along each axis is measured independently, we should always be able to choose to end up at a coordinate like that. Green and blue have the same, but there you need to add or subtract 1 from the y value.

So now, last turn, red and blue were next to each other. 1 turn later, where each had equal speed and acceleration, red is much further ahead than blue even though red had to go around some things (remember red= team micropsia on both maps). So how is that possible? Shouldn't red be lagging behind on blue?

Also, on your map blue is at (12,5) and not (12,3) like you said. Maybe it was just a typo? It'd make more sense then (though still not completely).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 09:35:52 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2015, 08:49:11 am »

((You could use letters instead of colors. Much less likely to get confused.
You could even write the name of the team leader. Even less likely to get confused.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2015, 08:57:00 am »

((Capgras is Blue Team, right? Since us not being Green Team let us dodge the radioactive space noodle, yes?))

"The trend of finding anomalous space garbage continues."

Keep an eye on the readouts. Anything... anomalous? Aside from the perceived smoothness, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16