Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Mission 25: Void  (Read 29029 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 25: Void
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »

((Reposting for convenience and whoever missed it initially.))

M25, prospective team arrangements:

Team A (Team Micropsia)
Miyamoto (Radio)
Dubley (NAV)
Jack(Spazyyak)

Team B (Team Scrupulosity)
Lars (Toaster)
Jason (Beirus)
Aphra (Lupan)

Team C (Team Capgras)
Faith (Irony)
Cthunkan (Baldman)
Ben (Bcneuf)

((One last turn of buying something, ok?))
I should have 10 tokens then after selling brain 2. Buy the neural strengthening/anti mindscrew genemod, unless that requires rolls for re-engaging the avatar or when getting the mod or anything.
Also try to get a strong long cable with a hook at the end, in case I need to tether myself. Does that cost anything?

Can we assume each ship gets a bunch of artifact containers and cables and such (aka all the basic necessities for the job)?
The team fund owns an AWaCCP pack, place this on team Micropsia's ship (or another ship if its team leader would like it. Toaster, Irony, if you do, just mention it in your action). 

Wiki the buying, 1 token for cable.  Yes, it has containers.  Placed on ship.

((Wait wait me too.))

If the jump rocket pack works in space, buy that and a force monosword.
Rockets work in space. And wiki.

((I'm just gonna post this here too so it has a higher chance of getting seen.))

Edit: Does Jason's symbiotic hive somehow still work since he was turned to flaming blue metal?

I want to know this too. Also, does that device I got draw enough heat away to use the maneuvering pack I have without destroying it?  If not, could I practice riding the HEP Pyramid around while the others are presumably in stasis en route to Mission 25?
We'll say no. Your flaming metal body is bad for living things.

Your "device" is basically a containment suit. So yes, you can use it.

Alright so we'll assume that you all got transported out to the edge of what we're calling the "Black Sea", the continuously expanding wall of oil film darkness thats slowly eating the universe round about where mission 21 was.  Right now it's a black ovoid sphere that encompasses the entire solar system and quite a while out beyond it. We're gonna handle exploration like this:  We're gonna use standard Cartesian Coordinates, (x,y,z). Right now all three ships are at (1,1,1), having just pushed into the Black Sea. There is nothing visible here, aside from the other ships.  You can only communicate to other ships that are in the same grid space, so once you separate, you're alone until you meet back up. Your ship accelerates at 1 space per turn and has a max speed of 10 spaces per turn.

Make a plan and then go exploring.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 03:05:58 pm »

"Ok gents, let's make sure we plan this nice and thorough before we venture in, shall we? I'd hate to loose more people to this godforsaken galactic ink blot."

Does the AWaCCP pack extend comms range at all? And what is, very roughly, the distance within 1 grid (aka between (1,1,1) and (2,1,1)?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:08:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

"Ok gents, let's make sure we plan this nice and thorough before we venture in, shall we? I'd hate to loose more people to this godforsaken galactic ink blot."

Does the AWaCCP pack extend comms range at all?
No, the range between grid spaces is pretty far and this isn't "empty" space.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 03:12:12 pm »

((Kay then, thanks for quick answer.))

"So, the first thing we need to decide is whether we stay together, or split up. While splitting up has the obvious disadvantage of breaking up strength, I fear we'll never find the other team if we don't. So, I'm afraid our hand is rather forced in this.

Next tot that, there are a few points of interest that I think are worth exploring:
Where the planet used to be.
The space between the planet and the jump point, which seems most likely where we could find our teammates.
The local star.
The other main celestial bodies that used to be in this solar system, aka other planets, moons, any man-made stations or satellites.

Now, one possible plan of action is that we stick in 1 group and head for the planet. As we get closer, 1 team splits off and goes for the star, 1 stays on course for the planet, and the final one goes for another object of interest, or searches the space between planet and jump point for our lost allies ship. Or stays with the second team in case there is a lot to explore on the planet, which wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how it's at the source of all this. And we might find clues to their whereabouts there.

Another thing we need to agree on is a timetable of sorts. Since we won't be able to just tell each other when we've found something or when to bug out, we'll need to agree on a pre-determined schedule and try to stick to it.

Oh, and first we might want to send out again 1 ship and let it return before we all go on, maybe do some quick experimentation, just in case there's trickery going on at the border between normal space and blackspace. Oh, and I'm calling the anomalous area 'blackspace' for convenience, unless someone has a better name. Voidspace maybe?

Roughly how big is the black sphere, in coordinate points? At roughly what point is the planet they were, and the star? Are/were there other celestial objects of note (other planets, moons, man-made objects, ...)
How much time do we have before we need to bug out? A very rough estimate (eg based on current expansion rates  and when it'll reach the jump point) is good. Hard to plan if we don't know if we could do 1, 2 or 10 roundtrips (assuming going for max speed).

Where does Steve think we could find our allies? Can he give us a heat map of likelihood of their position (aka don't want you to draw an actual map, just have an IC map that tells us where to look first).

Can we have a quick inventory of the ships? Next to containers, do they have something that we could use as buoys (aka something to drop into blackspace that continuously 'plays' a recorded message/sends certain data. 

((Done editing. I'd propose a more detailed plan, but we'll have to know more before we can really come up with anything concrete.))
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:22:22 am by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 09:39:59 pm »

Brother Lars bows at the comms screen.  "I trust in your judgement, General.  May the guiding light of Steve show our path.  Perhaps we should pray to the gods to seek guidance?"

Pray to Cog-Azaon for guidance on where to go and how to navigate in this strange space.

((Also voidspace is taken, so it'll have to be blackspace))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 06:10:16 am »

Brother Lars bows at the comms screen.  "I trust in your judgement, General.  May the guiding light of Steve show our path.  Perhaps we should pray to the gods to seek guidance?"

Pray to Cog-Azaon for guidance on where to go and how to navigate in this strange space.

"Yeeeah, you get on that, we'll keep searching for mundane sources of inspiration in the meantime. Gods help those who help themselves, and all that."
Miyamoto wondered for a moment if he could roll all 6 cameyes at once.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:36:59 am by Radio Controlled »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:21 am »

"Look on the bright side, general. If we are split up, horrors from beyond time and space can only eat us three at a time."

Do that scavenging thing on the RCS if I haven't already while the others deliberate on plans. Not the cap'n here, after all.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56:20 am »

"I hope they get indigestion if they eat me. Oh, and could call it 'deadspace'. Because all our comms will be dead once we go in. And, you know, we might be too at some point. 12 hour regroup would be nice, but I don't know that we'd be able to get much done. Maybe 24 or 48 hour rendevouz?"
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 06:08:55 am »

"I hope they get indigestion if they eat me. Oh, and could call it 'deadspace'. Because all our comms will be dead once we go in. And, you know, we might be too at some point. 12 hour regroup would be nice, but I don't know that we'd be able to get much done. Maybe 24 or 48 hour rendevouz?"
"The details will, of course, depend on how much time we have and how fast these ships go, we're waiting for the computer to give an answer to those questions. The best I can come up with right now though, is that we travel to the planet along the line of where they might have ended up if they fled from the planet to the jump point. All three do that, and go 1 hex apart from each other to cover more ground and increase the chance we spot them. We can agree to regroup on a fixed schedule along our path so we can keep each other informed and have a response ready if one ship runs into trouble underway and misses rendezvous, or stumbles on the missing ship. Eventually we should get to the planet, from where we can all start exploring the surface, or split up and have some go for another point of interest."

Miyamoto quickly doodles something to illustrate the idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

((Kay then, thanks for quick answer.))

"So, the first thing we need to decide is whether we stay together, or split up. While splitting up has the obvious disadvantage of breaking up strength, I fear we'll never find the other team if we don't. So, I'm afraid our hand is rather forced in this.

Next tot that, there are a few points of interest that I think are worth exploring:
Where the planet used to be.
The space between the planet and the jump point, which seems most likely where we could find our teammates.
The local star.
The other main celestial bodies that used to be in this solar system, aka other planets, moons, any man-made stations or satellites.

Now, one possible plan of action is that we stick in 1 group and head for the planet. As we get closer, 1 team splits off and goes for the star, 1 stays on course for the planet, and the final one goes for another object of interest, or searches the space between planet and jump point for our lost allies ship. Or stays with the second team in case there is a lot to explore on the planet, which wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how it's at the source of all this. And we might find clues to their whereabouts there.

Another thing we need to agree on is a timetable of sorts. Since we won't be able to just tell each other when we've found something or when to bug out, we'll need to agree on a pre-determined schedule and try to stick to it.

Oh, and first we might want to send out again 1 ship and let it return before we all go on, maybe do some quick experimentation, just in case there's trickery going on at the border between normal space and blackspace. Oh, and I'm calling the anomalous area 'blackspace' for convenience, unless someone has a better name. Voidspace maybe?

Roughly how big is the black sphere, in coordinate points? At roughly what point is the planet they were, and the star? Are/were there other celestial objects of note (other planets, moons, man-made objects, ...)
How much time do we have before we need to bug out? A very rough estimate (eg based on current expansion rates  and when it'll reach the jump point) is good. Hard to plan if we don't know if we could do 1, 2 or 10 roundtrips (assuming going for max speed).

Where does Steve think we could find our allies? Can he give us a heat map of likelihood of their position (aka don't want you to draw an actual map, just have an IC map that tells us where to look first).

Can we have a quick inventory of the ships? Next to containers, do they have something that we could use as buoys (aka something to drop into blackspace that continuously 'plays' a recorded message/sends certain data. 

((Done editing. I'd propose a more detailed plan, but we'll have to know more before we can really come up with anything concrete.))
At widest point, something like 600, expanding by 1 each turn.
Their orbits are around -2 to 2 Z, And the planet Mission 21 was on should be roughly  350, -100 x,y if things have stayed the same. However considering the state of the system, guessing about the other planet's and the sun would be complete speculation. Even the mission 21 planet is complete speculation, but we have assurances from the doctor that it most likely will now be anchored in place.  We recommend you avoid it.

At current expansion, about 70 turns (Of movement).

No idea. But the best guess is that they'd be moving from the planet towards 1,1,1. So along that path. No.

We'll say you have little signal transmitters like that.

Also, you should know that asking for an inventory is a bad idea with me. You're collapsing the quantum space.

((Blackspace huh?  If you listen carefully, hiphop can be heard as though from a great distance))

You pray to your gods but they don't seem to answer. Maybe the line is busy.

"Look on the bright side, general. If we are split up, horrors from beyond time and space can only eat us three at a time."

Do that scavenging thing on the RCS if I haven't already while the others deliberate on plans. Not the cap'n here, after all.
I don't know what an RCS is but sure.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 11:24:53 am »

"We must take care here, General.  Something is jamming divine transmission; this is a place of great danger and isolation."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:27 pm »

"Deadspace sounds good. So when does all the fuckery begin?"

Remember to have brought my spare robot bodies and suits from my locker in case I need them.

Explore the ship. Find out at least what the general layout is, and what sort of facilities it has. Is it more of a small shuttle or proper spaceship?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:10:33 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »

sit quietly and hope people with more experience know what they're doing.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

The reaction control system for the old spacesuit, the scavenging of which adds a small (relatively) maneuvering pack to my industrial suit.

Now that that's done, though, stare thoughtfully at various readouts the shuttle is producing while the others rise, shine and usher us toward inescapable doom.

Actually, is this shuttle bigger than a regular shuttle? Seems like it ought to be, but better make sure.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:29 pm »

((I have this sinking feeling we'll be doing a lot of planning which will quickly turn out not to be relevant for long once we set out.))

((Blackspace huh?  If you listen carefully, hiphop can be heard as though from a great distance))

((Not even complete vacuum can inhibit these sweet tunes.))

1)Could you explain the movement system a little bit more? Can we only move in straight lines along the axis, or can we move 'diagonally'? Is moving 1 square diagonally equal to 2 grid units/spaces, or 1? And what about moving even more 'in between' actual round coordinates? Can we end up at eg. (2,565 ; 3,87 ; 3,99) or will that be rounded to (2,5 ; 4 ; 4)? Or can we move freely in the 3D plane, and just keep track of the number of gridspaces we moved?

2)Am I correct that we are limited to observing/scanning for things that are inside our grid, aka equal to our comms range?
3)How long is 1 unit of travel time about IC? An hour, a day, a week?
4)How far out does the danger zone of the planet reach, according to Steve/Doc? Even best guesses are fine.
5)About how many buoys do we have? Can we use them to communicate between grids, eg ship 1 sends message to buoy A, who sends it to buoy B, who relays it to ship 2 who is not in the same grid as ship 1? How many buoys do we need to drop per grid to allow communicating through that grid? Do the buoys have sensors?
6)What do we know about the specifications of M21's ship? How fast can it travel, etc. If we were to encounter them and tell them where to go, would they make it out in time on their own, or do we need to take them into one of our ships?
7)Once we try to go out again via the jump point, can we fly to the exit at max speed? Or is there a chance we'd 'overshoot'/miss our target (the ftl jump point)? Is exiting blackspace more slowly safer in terms of not missing our mark?
8)Our time limit is 70 movement turns. How many gridspaces will the anomaly have expanded by then? Or: how many gridspaces do the borders of blackspace expand per turn?
9)We have 70 turns of traveling. Will there be actual turns of just cruising around, or will we timeskip each time till something happens or input is required?

10)Oh, and do we really have to work out a schedule of when and where to burn and stuff, or can we just draw up a general plan and leave the computer to do the calculating for us? How deep down this mathemagical rabbit hole do you wanna go, piece?

"Ok, so apparently the planet was at about (350, -100), meaning we are about 364 gridspaces removed from it. Our ships have a maximum velocity of 10 gridunits, a delta-V of [1space/turn] and our time window is [70 turns of movement], meaning it'd take us over half our time limit, about 41 days, just to get to the planet. We don't actually wanna go that far, mind, because that region is apparently a no-go zone according to Steve, but still, that shows we'll be on a tight schedule. And since we don't actually know where they are exactly or how far out they got, and there's a lot of space to cover... Yeah, we have no time to spare. Hell, for a ship at full speed, it takes [10 turns] to come to a standstill, and it'll have moved 55 gridspaces more before it's standing still! So, we'll need to very carefully plan this out or we'll be hopelessly isolated.

Oh, and we also don't know how far out the danger zone of the planet reaches. Might just be 1, might be a dozen, I don't know.

So, current plan is we might first wanna quickly check if our ships can still exit blackspace, and if no bullshit like time going at different speeds in here and in realspace is going on. Cause I've had it up to here with xeno physics bullshit, and I don't wanna be blindsided again.

((And at about 3 mission updates a week average (if we're lucky), this mission will take 23 weeks to complete at maximum, or about 5 months. And that's without non-travel turns!

Sorry to anyone who finds this kinda stuff boring, we'll try to get going as soon as we can. But yeah, this seems kinda like a 'plan it well or suffer the consequences' kinda thing.

I put a lot of info on the wiki and made a travel time/speed/distance table if people wanna help plan things out.

Finally, I have a sort of more detailed plan in my head, but I'll wait till pw has answered these questions before really working it out to avoid doing unnecessary work.))
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:39:46 am by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16