Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Mission 25: Void  (Read 29041 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 25: Void
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »

Utilize our trusty Miyamoto Guidance System to get us where we need to go. Well, presumably, anyway.

Pray again for the safety of our team.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2015, 11:53:44 am »

Almost. It's more like this:
  /  / /
 /  / /
/  / /
|/_/

aka we split up first, then move on and all travel in a straight line parallel to each other. With a buoy to ensure comms if needed.

"Damn is this a mission or a vacation?"
"We're in space, in a ship without automanips, going in a straight line for days to weeks on end. What did you expect when signing up?"
Gah, (X,Y) radio! not (Y,X)! Crazy man.

So this:

Sorry for holding this up but I wanna be real damn skippy about it because it kinda determines whether or not people....well lets say it's important.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2015, 11:58:43 am »

"Damn is this a mission or a vacation?"

More crafting! Upgrade my laser cannon.
1.Wire it up to my suit and robot body and welder for MORE POWER!
2.Scavenge some rebreathers from my spare spacesuits, hook them up to recycle the generator's exhaust. I doubt it will work indefinitely but it should extend the life of the air tank quite a bit and make it run longer in space.
3.Scavenge a couple electrodes, some wire and switches from a robot body. Create spark gap. Wire spark gap to laser's power supply and put it in front of barrel. Turn laser into ELECTROLASER!

Reposting this. Run it whenever you have the time  :)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »

Hes, the coordinates are in (x,y). The picture was to show we do not, like in your drawing, move ahead while slowly separating, we separate on the first turn then all travel in a straight line toward our respective destination, each ship travelling in a straight line parallel to the other ships. There's only so much I can do with ascii characters though.

I'll make a drawing later tonight if I can to make it completely clear.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:15:20 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2015, 01:51:33 pm »

--[=> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Certain Destruction
            /                      ^
           /                       | one tile width
          /                        V
Start O ----[=> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Inevitable Doom
          \     >->o             ^
           \                        | one tile width
            \                       V
              --[=> - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - > Unyielding Fate

Key:
>->o  robot overlord
[=>    wrecks waiting to happen
/        y axis movement
\        x axis movement
  ---   movement along the axis of oblivion (toward unstoppable catastrophe)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2015, 02:49:33 pm »

--[=> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Certain Destruction
            /                      ^
           /                       | one tile width
          /                        V
Start O ----[=> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Inevitable Doom
          \     >->o             ^
           \                        | one tile width
            \                       V
              --[=> - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - > Unyielding Fate

Key:
>->o  robot overlord
[=>    wrecks waiting to happen
/        y axis movement
\        x axis movement
  ---   movement along the axis of oblivion (toward unstoppable catastrophe)
Oh, thats what you were saying no to? Yeah, I assumed you were hitting the three tiles along that line, even though the lines are straight. Those lines weren't your exact paths, I was just showing the starting point and the ending point connected to make it easier to see.

So you were objecting because it was

As opposed to

You're killing me, smalls.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2015, 03:12:20 pm »

Oh for the love of... Just as I get to a computer and made this map to make everything clear, you figure it out?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, thats what you were saying no to? Yeah, I assumed you were hitting the three tiles along that line, even though the lines are straight. Those lines weren't your exact paths, I was just showing the starting point and the ending point connected to make it easier to see.

So you were objecting because it was ...

I can't know what your hidden assumptions are! Seriously, if you tell me
Like this, right? Or at least thats the plan?"

and show me three diverging lines, on a map and everything, how the hell am I supposed to know you were just showing the end points and connected them to the start point? And why, even? You thought we couldn't spot the three brightly colored squares in there?

I mean, if I just showed you a map, with lines drawn on them from start point to end point and no real further explanation, would you sooner assume those are imaginary lines there to point out the end point, or that they indicate the path one will take from the start to said end point? What seems more probable to you? Especially seeing as how drawing attention to the end points can also be done non-confusingly with an arrow, or a circle around them, or anything else?

If anyone is making a killing here, it's you P-dubs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:20:35 pm by Radio Controlled »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »

Glad that's cleared up, you two terrible communicators, you :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »

Ok.

At 6,3 green runs into something.

To save time I'll assume they're gonna give it a general look over and send that data to everyone they're in contact with, ie all ships.  The major points are thus:

1. It has no obvious visual signature and is of indeterminate size. Ie, they can't see anything with their normal eyes. There's also no heat signature.
2. What IS showing up is that the entire area is flooded with low energy radiation (it's basically a sea of alpha particles) and there is something moving. They can't see it clearly, but motion sensors are showing some sort of vague, long cylinderical shape, like a tube or hose, that is all tangled up in the area. The surface of the thing is flowing like water on the motion sensor and the exact edge of it is hard to determine.
3. It is quite large, about the size of a small moon, but exerts very little gravitational effect. Of course it is just a giant tangled shoelace shape in a lump the rough size of a moon, so it's clearly not as dense, but it's still not producing the effects it should at that size.
4. It hasn't, in any noticeable or meaningful way, reacted to their presence.  They could, presumably, go around the thing, but it would require going around that square.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am suddenly very curious which one of us is the dog. I mean just look at him. He's got mischief in his eyes.

"Well, that didn't take long. Ugh.

So team, we stumbled upon our first obstacle. We could investigate, explore it later or just ignore it altogether. Now, while we are here to learn as much as we can about this thing, we also have to think about the people still stuck here and getting them out (providing they still live). Not to mention that their suit data would probably be the best source of information we could find. And a team staying here is less people looking for them. I'm currently leaning towards having 1 team quickly investigate while the others keep moving, but I'd like to hear your opinions before making a final decision."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2015, 05:22:25 am »

Faith made a defeated sighing noise.

"I hate to say it, but encountering something this early on probably means there's weird shit all the way down. I think we should have a team investigate it at length, since unless everything in here is a unique crime against reality it's probably going to come up over and over again."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2015, 05:35:20 am »

Faith made a defeated sighing noise.

"I hate to say it, but encountering something this early on probably means there's weird shit all the way down. I think we should have a team investigate it at length, since unless everything in here is a unique crime against reality it's probably going to come up over and over again."

"Good point. I'm just wary of us getting distracted too much by all the 'minor' anomalies we end up with not enough time or manpower to find the missing team. That said, theoretically we only need 2 ships to deploy the buoy net."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2015, 05:41:57 am »

"Everything in here being a unique crime against reality is a distinct possibility, however," Cthunkan notes. "Besides, how would they investigate it? Land on the shoelace of radioactive helium? Granted, it wouldn't be able to go through so much as a layer of skin, but there is magical nonsense about still."

"Perhaps a better approach would be to survey as many... objects as possible while utilizing all three ships, and only then risking the loss of at least one of them by actually exploring the horrible magical artifacts of doom. For all we know, that thing could just as well be hostile to all forms of sentient life, and maybe there is something more interesting to waste human lives on further in. Such as the people we are optimistically looking for, for instance."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »

((Wanted to wait so more people could say their piece, but since nobody seems to be answering, I might as well cut the proverbial knot).
"Everything in here being a unique crime against reality is a distinct possibility, however," Cthunkan notes. "Besides, how would they investigate it? Land on the shoelace of radioactive helium? Granted, it wouldn't be able to go through so much as a layer of skin, but there is magical nonsense about still."

"Perhaps a better approach would be to survey as many... objects as possible while utilizing all three ships, and only then risking the loss of at least one of them by actually exploring the horrible magical artifacts of doom. For all we know, that thing could just as well be hostile to all forms of sentient life, and maybe there is something more interesting to waste human lives on further in. Such as the people we are optimistically looking for, for instance."

"Hmm. All things considered, I think we should indeed not focus too much on these kind of anomalies yet. However, just leaving it completely open also seems like that could bite us in the ass. So, I'll let Scrupulosity investigate it superficially. Basically just gather what info you can get easily, note if it does anything like move or change, but don't draw its attention if you can and don't interact with it too extensively. Only spend about [2 travel turns] on it, then get back to the fleet. The rest of us will proceed as planned. We'll leave a buoy both here and at (28,14) to help navigate or inform you of anything. Travel along the mainline on your return, you can accelerate to top speed to gain up on us. If anything happens along our way there, we'll leave a buoy on the mainline to tell you."

((Note, I don't know how exactly PW will handle the time change between travel turns and 'action' turns. I'm also assuming team green refers to the green colored team on my map, dunno if that's what he meant though.))
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:41:15 pm by Radio Controlled »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »

((Yeah, which green is it? Because Jason is part of the green team on RC's map, but Chthunkan is green on PW's map.))

"Yay, we get first shot at possible death. I'm so excited. Do we have to leave the ship?" Jason asks, his lack of enthusiasm apparent in the monotone way he says it.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16