Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chains and z levels  (Read 916 times)

Wondabarrapa

• Bay Watcher
  • Charge!
    • View Profile
Chains and z levels
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:32:54 pm »

what happens when something chained gets dropped beyond the chains range? do they simply break their link with the chain or are they suspended by the chain?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Chains and z levels
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:48:47 pm »

So far as I know, Chains can only be attached to a floor.  Therefore, the entity being restrained will remain in place if the floor collapses.  However, now that I'm thinking about it...  What you can do is channel all the tiles around the chain, then build a bridge underneath.  Activate the bridge-a-pault, and see what happens.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »

Technically you could dfhack a floor tile into a pillar (smoothed of course) and then channel the floors.

If you just remove them with tiletypes it won't have the same effect btw.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:36:55 pm »

In earlier versions, iirc, chains acted like extreme mind control. A chained creature was never physically attached to the chain, but would not move beyond one tile away from it. I don't remember what happened if you forced a creature out of the chain's range.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:24:11 pm »

I seem to recall that there was a thread at one point with mention of attempts of using chains to hang creatures, though I don't recall if it worked. Paging Fookerchif
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:32 pm »

I know I had a few animals on chains that I removed the chain and they wound up wearing the chain, so they're definitely attached now.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 03:05:04 am »

I swear chains are bugged lately too. I want to chain up some war dogs near the entrance of the fort to keep an eye out for thieves and they always end up running loose...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:49:11 am »

I swear chains are bugged lately too. I want to chain up some war dogs near the entrance of the fort to keep an eye out for thieves and they always end up running loose...
Check to see if they are pastured.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 04:41:55 am »

As Edmus indicates, there is a bug (or feature) that allows a creature to be ordered both to be pastured and chained at the same time, resulting in constant orders to haul the critter back and forth. You have to manually remove the old containment method when applying the new one to stop this hauling from happening. If I remember correctly (this was a year ago or so) you have no real info on which animal you're actually chaining, so it's quite hard to know which one to remove from pasturing. If using DFHack you can name creatures (and workshops, etc) with ctrl-shift-n to allow you to identify which one to release from the pasture.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:13 am »

The same is true for criminals and injured dwarves, who are dragged back and forth between the hospital and their chains. At least it was.

Wondabarrapa

• Bay Watcher
  • Charge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:45:25 am »

i would like to know if hanging is something you can do, would be interesting to have little goblins hanging at the entrance like windchimes

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:18:14 pm »

i would like to know if hanging is something you can do, would be interesting to have little goblins hanging at the entrance like windchimes

Not windchimes. Pinatas. I wonder if you could stockpile stepladders under them so a macedwarf could get up there and hit them until the candy comes out?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:42:13 pm »

IIRC, Toady said he would make hanging a thing sometime. Doubt he has yet, though.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Tygroux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 02:03:03 pm »

!!SCIENCE!!

Not pictured: the dog took a bunch of bruises from the fall, and the dwarf beside him has a job to chain him back.

So having the floor disapear detach them, and then normal rules (usually gravity) take play.
It is possible with 40.x that dropped creatures climb/catch the wall/floor just as they fall, so carefull about hangdropping gobbos like that.