Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stopping goblin sieges  (Read 1140 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Stopping goblin sieges
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

Are there any tips out there for keeping goblins away? They've been showing up like clockwork every spring and fall for several years now, cutting off my source of expendable slaves--er, I mean valued pilgrims--immigrating to my fortress, and it's getting kind of annoying. It's not like they pose any actual threat, especially in the small groups they show up in these days (the last siege of any real appreciable size was the one where I executed their king, it's just been 30 or 40 goblins at a time since then); the hassle of dealing with them might be worth it for the meltable iron stuff they drop, but being unable to get replacement dwarves is bugging me. Does anyone know if there's any way to get them to stay away? Will wiping out more of them (instead of just killing enough to break the siege and let the rest run away) keep them away for longer, or something?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Stopping goblin sieges
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

dump all you valuable crap onto the next caravan?

or chasm?

seriously though, dig a moat on the map boarder so the little green douches drown as soon as they enter.
and make it switchable so you can recover the iron.  ;)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

Will instakilling sieges like that actually let the caravan/immigrants through, though?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

Flood the whole world with lava except the road to the edge, use channels to keep it clear. unflood every few years to collect the junk.

Human and dwarf caravans start on the road if you have it built, the elves roast but who cares about them anyway? I'm actually not sure if immigrants are smart enough to start on the road or if they will roast, so maybe it's not such a good idea.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

Right, but my point is, if a siege shows up in the first few weeks of a season, I never have any outside contact during that entire season. If a goblin siege shows up on the 12th of the first month of spring and I break the siege while it's still "Early Spring" I still don't see any immigrants that spring even though they normally don't show up until mid to late spring, so it seems like just the fact that goblins came is enough to keep immigrants/caravans away, regardless of how quickly they die. Is that correct, or is it actually possible to get immigrants/caravans to show up after goblins arrive for the season simply by killing them fast enough (i.e. instantly, with lava)?

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

I'm pretty sure there is actually a formula for repopulating other forces, so the more you kill, the more staggered their attacks should be. I for awhile was killing just enough to get rid of them, but then I constructed a special tunnel with a drawbridge at the entrance. I lured all of them inside, closed the exit, and then sent in all my dwarven champions to dice them up.

0 goblins and 0 trolls survived, and they didnt attack me for a few years after that.

Of course the next year a bronze colossus showed up instead, but whatever.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

I guess it's worth a try then. I just wanted to know if anyone had had any apparent success with that sort of thing before I committed a lot of work to setting up another entrance area suitable for luring the entire goblin army inside.

JadeFalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

My current fort had three sieges  that I just broke then the forth I decimated them and haven't seen another come back in the one and half years since that.It's too bad to,I made a new goblin slaughter tunnel I've been dieing to try out but they're not obligeing me  :(