Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worst Siege Ever  (Read 2078 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Siege Ever
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

I think they pick the nearest target to them. This includes caravans, random civilians, and military dwarves. I think they will still come if you lock the doors to your inner fortress, but on the outside of those doors, you have your military stationed.

Though it seems like they employ some sort of prioritizing. I think they largely ignore single dwarves, preferring larger, juicier targets, a larger mass of units. I'm not sure if this is true but it sure seems like it.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

if they can be baited with military mabey it would be possible to build some sort of shelter for civilians that could be locked and allow the entire fort to be used as a battle ground without killing off everyone

is there any way i could make dwarfs stock a shelter with a few booze barrels and food stacks

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>if they can be baited with military mabey it would be possible to build some sort of shelter for civilians that could be locked and allow the entire fort to be used as a battle ground without killing off everyone

is there any way i could make dwarfs stock a shelter with a few booze barrels and food stacks</STRONG>

You can use "take from pile" to accomplish this...
However, dwarves locked in rooms, regardless of how much food or drink is in there, will still try to lay claim to a food item that's outside the room, and they'll just starve to death in a room full of food.
At least, this is how it happened when I tried making a little cage for my pet hammerer, stocked with food and booze. I might've locked the door when he already had laid claim to a food item.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

I had the exact same thing happen in my fourth siege, except the representative and his guards were already in negotiating.  Everyone outside in the caravan was butchered but all the goblins were killed except ONE at the very edge of the road, loitering in the carnage and the trade goods.  I told my squads to move out and go get him...they milled around the barracks.  I figured "to heck with it" and let all the dwarves loose to deal with it.  They all ran away from the goblin.  Stalemate.

Then, a brave little war dog attacked it and got crunched.  Along comes another war dog and takes the sucker out.  The cowardly dwarves rushed in to grab all the free goodies, sparing no time for the good dog, who wandered off, somehow looking pleased with himself.  Then the three humans remaining left and wandered sadly off home...I don't know how ASCII icons can look bereft and sad, but they did.

In my third siege, I had open doors on the outside with trap corridors with locked doors on the inside.  After the first few got wiped out, the goblins got smart and loitered around outside.  So I opened one of the inside doors, they rushed towards the door, I locked it again - and they kept going inside.  I feel like that's kind of cheating, though, since I'm winning the siege and not the dwarves, by careful pausing and relocking when the dwarves are closer than the goblins.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"
Pages: 1 [2]