Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Siege Ever  (Read 2079 times)

Jace_the_slasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • To the space!
Worst Siege Ever
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

I had my first siege today and it sucked.  For some unknown reason the goblins decided to come onto the map at the rear of the largest human caravan I've had yet.  Needless to say the humans took huge casualties but ultimately won.  I think this is the poorest example of planning on the goblins part ever.

So my question is, have you ever had a siege as lame as this?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Siege Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

Yes

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Entrance corridor.
Five squares wide.
Three doors.
Four deep strata of weapon traps.
Each trap has one giant bronze axe blades.
A couple of strata of stonefall traps, just in case.
Goblins gets all butchered by the first two layers of traps.
Casualities: Two cats shot and killed by the bowman.

Fortress production grinds to an halt. All dwarves spend an entire season hauling off pieces of goblins and goblin clothes.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Yup. I had a siege that was entirely fought as goblins vs the human caravan. All that was left of the humans was one wagon, a couple mules, a couple random merchants disconnected from their wagons/mules, and some swordsmen. All in varying states of wounds. The only fighting my dwarves even did were a few bolts fired by marksdwarves. I don't even think they killed anything.

Course, I've also had the human caravan completely obliterated by the goblins without the goblins getting very many casualties, and they resume milling towards my fort.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

The first siege is usually pretty weak, but they get stronger and more frequent as time goes on.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

Use spiked ball traps. They dont make as many pieces  :D

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jace_the_slasher:
<STRONG>I had my first siege today and it sucked.  For some unknown reason the goblins decided to come onto the map at the rear of the largest human caravan I've had yet.  Needless to say the humans took huge casualties but ultimately won.  I think this is the poorest example of planning on the goblins part ever.

So my question is, have you ever had a siege as lame as this?</STRONG>

Yep. A human caravan guard killed the goblin king in one of my games. It was a somewhat underwhelming moment to say the least.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

My first siege was six or so goblins that appeared at the end of a seven cart human caravan. The six goblins made mincemeat of the entire caravan in just seconds... then they all died in my traps.

They also killed eight dwarves that for some reason just HAD to run out and watch the goblins closely.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

Hi!

Mickel: The dwarves will start collecting any loot as soon as it is available. Make sure to set the options for dwarves not to leave the fortress, and if you have a trapped entrance area, make sure that you put some locked doors between the dwarves and that area (the inside of the fortress is defined by the cliff face and not where the first door is or anything - so if a goblin dies in your traps, your dwarves will swarm out to gather the loot immediately).

Deathworks

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Yea, but if the doors inside the trapped area is locked, the goblins won't enter it. They seem to know they can't get in that way anyway, and won't even try.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

I like being able to flood a trap room with magma just to get rid of all the useless non-iron items without any trouble.  Works every time.

But fortresses with real armies sound like they're a lot more exciting.

I wonder how "dwarves don't go outside" will work in the next version.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

i just lost half my population to same siege problem, as soon as one gobo dies all my civilians charge into them to get the loot

stay indoors doesn't work because some of the goblins died indoors and if i lock doors the goblins will just hang around out doors forever

i really need a "all civilians stay behind the cave river" option

[ September 16, 2007: Message edited by: kuro_suna ]

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 05:15:00 am »

Well, I have a few hints that could help stem the tide of civilian dwarves grabbing loot:

Give them something to do deep in the fortress. Maybe move a massive stockpile somewhere else temporarily. Or maybe set them all to engraving and start smoothing out the entire fortress. Something to keep them away.
And keep the dwarves from hauling in the first place, by getting rid of the stockpiles goblin loot would go to, as well as any stockpiles that might be in a danger zone, like outside (like stone piles)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

You can also toss a all enabled stockpile upon the goblin corpse. I believe that should keep him and everything there, not moving, unless of course they died on a trap.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

does anyone know what the target of the siege path finding is?

are they trying to get to the deepest point in the fort or a tile in a room or a specific dwarf

Pages: [1] 2