Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 ... 1862

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [IC] Four is Death...  (Read 771782 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [IC] Four is Death...
« Reply #17610 on: March 07, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »

((Because?  He wanted out.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17611 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »

Aesford violently awakes after being pulled into the soul of a Trespasser. He assumes he is awake anyways, because from the visage he sees, he can hardly differentiate between the states of sleep and consciousness. This is something beyond those trivial barriers anyways, something that wrenches at the soul and one's sense of reality. There is no heroic speech or gregarious bantering from Aesford, only a quiet incomprehensible murmur. He feels no fear, it is something like claustrophobia with no fear, no panic, no dread. An instinct arises in him so primal and universal that it has no word to describe it.

"I have been here before."

Aesford's stupor is broken by Lynch appearing adjacent next to him, as if he had just ascended from pure mana, from the nothingness that engulfed them. With no warning or fanfare he had assumed the hulking form of a Minotaur, his signature Beast Mode, and is speaking in an uncharacteristically full voice, not loud but completely audible. However the most stunning fact is that while everyone is floating in the space, or lack of space more accurately, Lynch is standing.

"Aesford, what happens when you become a Seahawk Paladin? What happens to any of the football players that achieve a higher form of being? Do you feel more alive than ever, more capable than anything you could have conceived?"

Aesford remains silent; he knows he doesn't need to answer.

"Beast Mode is nothing like that. It is the opposite. It is the lack thereof. It is the antithesis of hope, when I stood beneath those street lamps in the ghetto when I felt as if I no longer could exist. When I no longer felt at all."

"Beast Mode is when the combined might of every other player is dedicated to stopping you where you stand, and you must keep running. Not out of courage or will or anything like that. It's simply because you must. Because oblivion encroaches everything around you, it fills out all you can perceive, all you can sense. So you keep running. There is a difference between death and non-existence. That is Beats Mode Aesford."

And so, into the Nothing, the Beast runs.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #17612 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »

Wait! Everyone, I....I sense something coming!
Sachi sounds panicked as the area where the Trespasser was mere moments ago begins to ripple and swirl....
And then the ripple explodes and all are enshrouded in black.

Black. Nothing but black.

Nothing but darkness- no. Darkness can't describe what you perceive at this in time. Darkness implies an absence of light, but not this. This....this is worse.

Oblivion is more like it. Nothing, forever and ever and everandeverandever-

No, wait. You can see your party members, floating in the void near you.

And in front of you floats something indescribable.

A mass of tendrils, squirming- no wait, no, it's a mass of heads of unknown fanged creatures, gnashing at some unseen prey- no, wait, a chorus of screaming faces, their black eyes melting into bubbling acidic streams pouring down their cheeks and into their mouths as their screams seem to yell for your name- no, now a mass of eyeballs, some bursting into sickening red globs of something-

Even simply being near this creature instills some sort of primal, instinctive fear, deep down in the recesses of the mind. The part that once feared the dark, the things that moved in shadows, that which lay beyond the light.

This, you know already, is a Trespasser's soul. You barely have enough time to react before, immediately, you feel yourself beginning to be diminished, squashed from existence and reduced to nothing. The Trespasser slowly, but surely, is using its will to destroy you, to crush your soul into nothing and consume the dead husk that is left behind. The fear of oncoming death fills you, but not for long.

Soon, it is replaced by one of deep calm, of contentment. For a moment, you even feel as if giving in would be a good idea. Just a moment.

And then you are brought back to reality. Your death draws near.

But yet you refuse to die.

You struggle. You claw back. You fight back. Either way, you resist.
How do you resist the all-crushing Trespasser's influence?
((Yes, this is perfect time for badass speeches calling out the Trespassers, shows of determination, full hamminess, etc. etc. or in Motya's case, being Motya. :P ))

It That Embraces is... oddly calm. Oddly calm, given that she's no ENG, no Motya. It's not the calm of a battlehardened warrior. Or a madman. It's the calm of someone who knows they have no reason to fear. Someone who knows what's coming and is completely and utterly prepared. Her eyes do not ignore what comes. They watch it, they judge it without panic or concern, and they find it to be of no danger.

Why?

The reason becomes clear, once everyone has a moment to tear their eyes off of the Trespasser. Or once one begins to falter or give in. She lets them fight without her as long as she can. A mother knows that her children must be allowed their own victories, that strength must be applied with a delicate touch.

Eventually, even those that do not need Her at all see why It That Embraces was not at all concerned: when they hear the words of the Primordial. Not 'understand', but hear. In this plane there is no difference, of course. She speaks in a sweet, motherly, protective voice, yet her tone is cold, harsh, judging the thing before her.

"How cute. But it will not save you from your just rewards."

Among the humans, the mortals, the puppets, the dragons, the divine, the other things that struggle against the Trespasser, there is what can only be described as a deity, whether by man or by spirit or even by those who might think of themselves as gods.Not that the Primordial- and they all know it is the Primordial- looks much like their religious icons, but then, most gods take on appearances to interact with their followers, don't they? This is not an avatar. This is the true self.

The soul of It That Embraces is a world unto itself. It towers above them, it stretches out far beyond their sight, envelops the mind's eye. If it had a shape, the world-soul might be in the shape of a woman, or perhaps a city that walks like a woman. A community, a home, a mother, a protector, all of these things in one.  A part of it has been scarred, torn off and only barely healed- perhaps a part of its torso, a shark bite miles wide across its side- but that does not diminish Her grandeur, colors and shapes and forms that the human eye can scarcely comprehend.

Even that titan, however, is not all of what they see. For the titan has children. Subordinates. It is a thing unto itself, and yet it has thousands of components. Perhaps endless ones- who knows how many lie buried deep within it?  But those that can be seen measure unto the thousands before one loses count.

Some are near Its surface. Souls that support skin and body. Things that are almost human, things it cares for, things it protects, and things that in turn lend strength to Its Embrace.

Others are far greater. Others swarm out, answering the unheard call. The call of suffering around them.

The Eyes of the Primordial see all that there is to see among the mortals in its charge. They see who hurts, who does not. Who needs to be helped and who needs to be left alone. How to best help them, to guide them, or to help them help themselves. They watch, they guide, they direct. Like a mother's insights they are unseen, immaterial, but as real as everything else.

The Arms of the Primordial rush forth, valiant warriors to defend those in need, those in danger of breaking. The Primordial's legions, they are not unlike its avatar, but they are stronger, faster. Women of races familiar and alien, wielding spears of jade and rose quartz. Shields upon shields to go with the arms they carry. Their bodies are barely covered, though their beauty lies in their power, their dedication, more than their figure. Their strongest protection is the promises that are carved into their skin in shining ink, glowing fiercely through manes of shimmering hair.

We will protect them.
We will defend them.
We will preserve them.
They will not come to harm.
They will not suffer the blades of another.

Many of them wear something else as well: the names of those they have failed. A grim reminder of their duty.

The Claws of the Primordial are the wrath of a woman scorned made manifest upon the world of souls. They are flurries of vengeance that charge into the Trespasser's maws, tearing at it with no regard for their own safety, laughing at the damage they might sustain. Their blades are forged with the grief of lost loved ones, the sorrow of every parent at their child's grave, the sadness that comes from watching people you care about as they suffer. The rage of the victim's family, of the big sisters who see their siblings hurt. All these things and more cut deep into the otherworldly devourer, driving it back to the nothingness it so greatly longs for.

The Hearts of the Primordial defy description. The human eye cannot understand them, alien organs that power entire civilizations within the Primordial's body. To stare at them is to stare into the sun. Yet their presence still brings with it an aura of benevolence, and they quietly float behind the battling warriors, their energy radiating for those in need to take it. They say little, but what they say is volumes. You can do it. You are strong. You will prevail.

The Hands of the Primordial are caretakers, comforters. Mothers, as it were. They cradle those who fall, bringing them safely behind the Arms. Their forms are familiar, comforting, and full of warmth. They smile and squeeze and Embrace and they hold their charges close, whispering sweet, gentle words, draining the stress from their minds. It'll be alright. You're safe now. I'm here.

The Fingers of the Primordial are crafters. Builders. Homemakers. They weave not cloth and silk, but emotions. Memories. The true building blocks of a home- those are their stock and trade. And these tradeswomen are masters of their art. They build roads and fortifications in the void, support the Arms and the Hands, take the energy the Hearts provide and mold it into things that are more than the sum of their parts. Shelters tailored to their occupants, to provide the background where healing can take place. To hold in the warmth of the hearth, the warmth that radiates from the Primordial's vastness. They forge weapons of grief, shields of mercy, trinkets of memories; things that arm and armor and protect and aid. These things they share, both with their fellow denizens of the Primordial and with the mortals in its care, should they desire them. Of course they are only things of the soul, but that is not a problem here, now, is it?

It wasn't long ago that the Primordial was cut off from Her soul, unable to bring Her true form to bear. Her avatar, and some minor reflection of her power, were all She could use. But with its body destroyed, the Trespasser chose to try to fight their souls, crush their wills, destroy their spirit. And in doing so, it brought this leviathan - Her true self - to the field of battle. A mistake, one that the Primordial will not let the monster recover from.

The Trespassers started this engagement, but the Primordial will finish it.

Amongst the armies, the cities, the world-spanning titan, the Trespasser who thought even for a moment that it could win, and the few mortals caught between them, there is one more figure. It That Embraces still has an Avatar, after all. The Face of the Primordial.

The mortals have seen Her before, but the dimensions they know are hardly able to capture Her true appearance. She is awash with color, eyes that burn with determination,  hair flowing elegantly in unseen wind, the steady beat of heart and the sound of breath. She is  the alien mother they have seen before, but She is also every other mother they have had, and many they have not. Familiar yet unimaginable, She stands before the titan, wordlessly ordering the armies of Her soul.

She is also the Voice of the Primordial. And She speaks again, Her features narrowing in rage born of sorrow and grief, staring directly at the puny thing that claims the title of Trespasser.

"You took them."

From me. From us. From their families. From their friends. From their allies. From their enemies. From their teachers. From their students. From everyone they ever loved. From everyone who ever loved them. From their lives. From their worlds. A thousand things hang in the air, words not quite spoken yet quite understood.

The Primordial snarls. It is not a sound that is pleasant to hear, coming from Her.

"Never again."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17613 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:21 pm »

Alanis blinks, once.

"I need new adjectives...."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:01:24 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #17614 on: March 07, 2016, 09:55:46 pm »

big daddy shields little sis's eyes
No sig yet

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:38 pm »

And then the ripple explodes and all are enshrouded in black.

Black. Nothing but black.

Nothing but darkness- no. Darkness can't describe what you perceive at this in time. Darkness implies an absence of light, but not this. This....this is worse.

Oblivion is more like it. Nothing, forever and ever and everandeverandever-

No, wait. You can see your party members, floating in the void near you.

And in front of you floats something indescribable.

A mass of tendrils, squirming- no wait, no, it's a mass of heads of unknown fanged creatures, gnashing at some unseen prey- no, wait, a chorus of screaming faces, their black eyes melting into bubbling acidic streams pouring down their cheeks and into their mouths as their screams seem to yell for your name- no, now a mass of eyeballs, some bursting into sickening red globs of something-

Even simply being near this creature instills some sort of primal, instinctive fear, deep down in the recesses of the mind. The part that once feared the dark, the things that moved in shadows, that which lay beyond the light.

This, you know already, is a Trespasser's soul. You barely have enough time to react before, immediately, you feel yourself beginning to be diminished, squashed from existence and reduced to nothing. The Trespasser slowly, but surely, is using its will to destroy you, to crush your soul into nothing and consume the dead husk that is left behind. The fear of oncoming death fills you, but not for long.

Soon, it is replaced by one of deep calm, of contentment. For a moment, you even feel as if giving in would be a good idea. Just a moment.

And then you are brought back to reality. Your death draws near.

But yet you refuse to die.

You struggle. You claw back. You fight back. Either way, you resist.
How do you resist the all-crushing Trespasser's influence?
((Yes, this is perfect time for badass speeches calling out the Trespassers, shows of determination, full hamminess, etc. etc. or in Motya's case, being Motya. :P ))
Chryssa stands shakily, hair covering her face, and her beret singed. She removes the beret, and dusts it off, flipping her hair back with a swift motion of her head. With a slow movement, she places the beret back atop her head, frowning at the Trespasser that stood before her. This pathetic little creature that thought it could threaten her, scare her, intimidate her with its changing forms, with its relentlessness. Pure hatred fills her eyes, as she holds the necklace Falu gave to her as a gift. This token of love, that told her that these were not beings that she had to fear. These were but wheat to the sickle, and pigs to the slaughter to her. Her knuckles whiten as she clenches her fists, spatting blood from her mouth into the "face" of the Trespasser.

"You're pathetic. If you could actually kill me, you would. Right this second. But no, you're simply too weak... You separate me from the ones I hold dear in my life, you rip me from my world, you attack me because I was brought her by unknown reasons other than to stop your pathetic campaign to destroy everything, but you can't kill me. Why're you unable to kill a 20 year old? A girl still in school, trained to fight beasts not even a fraction as powerful as you are, that nearly destroyed my world. But you can't kill me." Chryssa laughs, "I will crush you beneath my boot. I will slaughter every last one of you pathetic pests. You are like wheat before a sickle, pigs to slaughter, martyrs with no greater cause. Listen to me, and listen to me good... We Will End You, and Let Your Blood Flow Red, Like Roses."

And with that, Chryssa unleashed all of the energy she had built up, in a magnificent light show of white.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17616 on: March 08, 2016, 01:06:04 am »

Sandra whimpers.
thincake

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #17617 on: March 08, 2016, 09:53:32 am »

Sandra whimpers.
It'll be alright. You're safe now. We will protect you.

The Primordial's legions make good on their promises. Spears cross to form a wall between the monster and the innocent girl. Gentle, nurturing hands bring her to safety, to nurture her will back to health.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:57:49 am by Twi »

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17618 on: March 08, 2016, 10:00:02 am »

Sandra selfdestructs.
The frown fades, to be replaced by the neutral face of one at rest.
thincake

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17619 on: March 08, 2016, 03:14:34 pm »

Alanis drifts over to Sandra as well.
Sigtext

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17620 on: March 08, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »

Meanwhile, Mio....

She'd been through a lot in this life.

She lost her parents, at a time when she was left to raise her sister and baby brother alone, having to grow up faster than most; her riches helped, but not by much. She lost her sister, fighting the Vertex, and she had to explain to her brother why Sachi would no longer be coming home or spending time with him or her, blinking back tears and holding back the choking gasps in her voice. She had spent many days fighting eldritch abominations, the likes of which any other person would and logically should shy away from. She had the world's weight upon her shoulder every time she fought, the last remainder of humanity's hopes and dreams resting on her and her friends' backs. When she was pushed to fight the Trespassers, now she had the weight of existence itself on her back.

Each time, she would rise to the challenge.

Despair would not confine her, fear would not break her, terror would not cow her. Determination burned in her heart through it all.

It was perhaps the one thing that kept her through all this; through her parents' loss, through the training to become a Hero, through all the battles she fought as her friends, inherently gifted with the potential of Heroes, fell back and she refused to give in to hopelessness and defeat.

But this.....this was different.

Mio shrank back from the soul-crushing influence. Her determination had failed her.
"....n-no....."
She shrank back. She tried to muster the determination to throw up a cool-headed facade like she always had, to subsume her emotion and to use her reason to fight. Overwhelming fear, however, seemed to encompass every fiber of her being, eating at her very essence, biting bitterly like a cold winter wind. For a moment....

For a moment, Mio nearly gives in.

Nearly.

But, with the same dogged resolution that allows a cornered rat to stand up to its predators, knowing full well that they will lose, the Hero stands back up.

Though clearly shivering, though clearly afraid for her life......the Hero stands against that which wishes to destroy all that she holds dear.
"I.....won't surrender. No."
She clenches her gauntleted fists. Despite herself, a fire seems to kindle itself in her eyes.
"I.....will not SUBMIT!"
With her roar, the influence begins to draw back, her will forcing it back from her. Her aura, her soul seems to blossom in this moment, a violet flower blossoming from her very presence within the darkness.

With the resistance of its victims, with the power of resistance within all who it attempted to subsume....

The Trespasser barely has a moment to retaliate before their combined wills shatter it. The ever-changing creature in front of them simply splinters, fractures and cracks into nothingness, disappearing into the black void with an agonised shriek.

You barely have a moment to savour your victory before a light fills your entire line of sight.

The Trespasser has been truly slain and utterly destroyed.

Unknown
Unknown Phase

You find yourselves....floating, but not in a void.

Around you float the stars; countless, numberless and nameless, sparkling in the darkness of space, swirling around you as you float-
"Ah. Hello".

A sickly-looking robed woman appears to them, her skin pallid with illness and her posture bent with the effort of standing to the extent of using a cane. Her clothes seem to reflect the stars and the void they float in, seeming to mesh perfectly with the background.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #17621 on: March 08, 2016, 05:12:17 pm »

Big daddy makes sure his daughter is okay before looking at the new person drill raised
No sig yet

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #17622 on: March 08, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »

"Uh... Hi. Who are you?"
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17623 on: March 08, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »

"Hello.  Have we met?"

"Finally."
Sigtext

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17624 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »

Eirika remains silent.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 1173 1174 [1175] 1176 1177 ... 1862