Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Champion status  (Read 1732 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Champion status
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

When does a dwarf become a champion?  I have a so-called "elite wrestler" (because he got to master wrestler before getting brain damage) who is a legendary marksdwarf.  Shouldn't he be a champion?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Champion status
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

It just takes longer to become a champion.

My champion axeman, who was an immigrant axeman, trained for nearly two years to become a champion.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>It just takes longer to become a champion.</STRONG>

Longer than legendary?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Once they hit legendary weapondwarf/wrestler is when they're champion.

This bring up the question as to what happens if a hunter gets to master/legendary weapondwarf.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Once they hit legendary weapondwarf/wrestler is when they're champion.</STRONG>

So it would be a bug if my legendary marksdwarf would not be a champion?

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

I think that once a character reaches elite on some weapon, he or she can only become a champion through gaining legendary skill with THAT particular weapon.  Same thing happened with my Great Marksdwarf who cross-trained up to Legendary Hammerdwarf... still an Elite Marksdwarf.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

That seems unfortunate; my brain-damaged guys are getting really quite good with the crossbow, but they will never be champions  :(

Unless they go charge the enemy army like two of my marksdwarves just did.  Oh but I guess they still don't get to be champions.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Cage some monsters for them to wrestle in an arena. They'll still do that!

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>I think that once a character reaches elite on some weapon, he or she can only become a champion through gaining legendary skill with THAT particular weapon.  Same thing happened with my Great Marksdwarf who cross-trained up to Legendary Hammerdwarf... still an Elite Marksdwarf.</STRONG>

Bingo. I actually kind of like the diversity ( I always train my marksdwarves into Hammerdwarves when I can ). An army of 30 identicle dwarves is somewhat boring.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Personally?  I hate champion status.  I can ALWAYS tell what a mace lord, swordsmaster, or elite marksdwarf is actually good at from the military screen, but the champions I have to nickname or look at them individually.  It's a pain.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

since you cant change their weapon assignments, it hardly makes a difference.  can they even have their orders changed or be stationed anywhere?  i havent had a champion in so long, and certainly not in anything resembling a recent version.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Whats this about not changing a champions weapon? I had my legendary sworduser switch to just wrestling for a good while and then later i chose to switch him back with no difficulty. And yes their orders can be changed and can be stationed anywhere and if you have so much trouble knowing which champion is skilled at what why dont you try changing their PROFESSION TITLE....

Champions are godly, especially if they are also legendary in shield using:un-freakin-touchable. I got some amazing stories of my legendaries winning Spartan quality battles.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Personally?  I hate champion status.  I can ALWAYS tell what a mace lord, swordsmaster, or elite marksdwarf is actually good at from the military screen, but the champions I have to nickname or look at them individually.  It's a pain.</STRONG>

I hit 'w' and suddenly all is revealed.  Although I've taken to turning marksdwarf training off, and sometimes I drop the sword if they still have levels to go in wrestling, and then it's annoying indeed.

What's more annoying is in the 'x' screen.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>Champions are godly, especially if they are also legendary in shield using:un-freakin-touchable. I got some amazing stories of my legendaries winning Spartan quality battles.</STRONG>

I was hoping I could just keep track of which marksdwarves had become champions, and then turn off training for them to let non-champion marksdwarves train up to maximize the benefit from my supply of bone bolts which has suddenly dried up given that I overfished.

The legendary marksdwarf in question decided to chase after the goblin army though, which led him to walk down the narrow hallway that I funnel them into.  Straight at a second group of bowgoblins.  He got lifted out of his shoes by the force of the reply.  Twice.  I suppose it's pretty legendary that he survived the first volley.  An engraver thought so: "an engraving of a dwarf.  The dwarf is dead."

What was legendary was that a second, very distinctly non-legendary marksdwarf *also* chased, but he lived -- dodging, blocking, or eating what must have been about 45 bolts (3x 15 bows attacking him) and shooting a few off of his own.  He chased them off all on his own!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I think that once a character reaches elite on some weapon, he or she can only become a champion through gaining legendary skill with THAT particular weapon.  Same thing happened with my Great Marksdwarf who cross-trained up to Legendary Hammerdwarf... still an Elite Marksdwarf.</STRONG>

I had some elite wrestlers turn into axe lords, and then later champions so this is not true for wrestling. I admit I've never cross-trained a dwarf into another melee weapon, or trained my marksdwarves into crossbow use before they were champions so maybe it is like that for them.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!