Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to make inside architecture pretty?  (Read 1331 times)

Axetibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to make inside architecture pretty?
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »

Hi guys

So I've been doing a lot of outside forts lately, and what I really enjoyed doing was to have a fabulous idea of my forts by seeing them with tool such as Armok Vision/Stonesense.

But now, I'm going back to a more "dwarfy" point of view, and I'd like to build a gigantic and glorious fort inside the mountains.

So far, it hasn't been so difficult to do something acceptable with architecture, and maybe even something beautiful.

But my problem is that, no matter which type of architecture I'm using (a giant hole, z-levels separated by stairs, z-levels separated by channels/ramps...) I can't have satisfaction by seeing the result with Armok Vision/Stonesense.

I'd like to have your tips. Have you guys ever tried to build something viable and pretty inside? Inside's megaprojects?

Thank you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make inside architecture pretty?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:21:30 pm »

Did you try big natural rock pillars?
Idk, I just feel like making most rooms 3Z tall might help.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Axetibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »

Did you try big natural rock pillars?
Idk, I just feel like making most rooms 3Z tall might help.

Man, that's a very nice idea you just had!

Do you mean having rooms with a roof 3zlvls above the rest, all of this supported by some natural pillars carved in the rock?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »

Remember the chase through that really big hall in Moria during LOTR? The one with pillars everywhere? Like that. It's the method I use for my dining halls, but you could theoretically do it for an entire fortress.

Pause. Start by selecting your top level, make it one tile wider in all dimensions than your lowest-level floorplan. Plot out a dig around the perimeter, a one tile wide tunnel all the way around the edge, keeping in mind the size of column you want to use (I normally use 3x3, but for this sort of project I'd recommend 5x5, I'll get to why in a bit) and the distance you want between columns, such that you end up with a total floorplan which divides neatly. Follow by designating one-tile digs around every column. Connect the columns with each other and with the rim using whatever pattern of tunnels you want--I prefer one-tile wide from the center of every column ring to every adjacent column and wall.

Once you've got that entire plan mapped out, copy the dig down through every z-level you want the fortress to occupy. After that, unpause and designate an access tunnel for the top level. Once it's all mined out, smooth everything. After everything is smoothed, designate every tile of black space within the floor plan (which isn't a column) for channelling, not including the one-tile tunnels you've smoothed. Once that entire channel is done and the dwarfs have dug out the pattern of one-tile paths and columns, smooth the same one-tile paths, outer walls, and columns as on the top level. After that's done, channel out the same spaces which you channeled before.

Repeat that for every z-level that you want to be open.

Once you're done, you've got a large, many-z-level open hall full of beefy columns, with fucking everything connected by precarious one-tile wide walkways, and everything is smoothed. If you built your columns 5x5 as I suggested, you can hollow them all out. Use a couple as stairways, while the rest are perfectly sized for workshops, bedrooms, and offices.

Bonus Dwarf: If you have an aquifer, tap it from below and have it fall the entire height of the fortress as a pattern of waterfalls, falling into holes on the bottom level to flow away to the edge of the map.

Extra Bonus Dwarf: Build a large hydropower system using the waterfall outflow.

Super Extra Bonus Dwarf: Pump magma up to the bottom level of the fort and into small ponds. Build your smelters and forges on little islands over these ponds.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:11:34 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »

I've been building most of my fortresses by digging out massive columned chambers, with little windowed / arrow-slit'd rooms overlooking it -- so that housing and workshops surround and look down on your main hall.

Look at classic wide-open designs like Copperblazes and Orbinches, and extend them into 3d.

I'm not familiar with Armok Vision, but the older visualizers used to have a feature that filtered out un-discovered rock and let you look at the interior of a fortress sort of floating in space.  underground fortresses looked awesome, even if they didnt have huge 3d rooms. 

Is that not a thing anymore?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:28:07 pm »

I recommend firing up Minecraft.  Set to Creative Mode, then find yourself a suitable mountain.  You can quickly sketch out a basic room using pillars, bridges, railings, and windows.  This will help give you some ideas for your Fortress.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:39 pm »

I always carve multi-level halls. I start at one level, and then (if I can) I add another level down every year. There are always natural rock pillars that are carved further down and engraved each year. It's like a history room of the fort.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »

I can confirm that this works. Balconies, bridges, and other 3D works are the way to go. And they're a pain to get right sometimes, but if you're using stonesense ramps are your friend.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »

I can confirm that this works. Balconies, bridges, and other 3D works are the way to go. And they're a pain to get right sometimes, but if you're using stonesense ramps are your friend.

Ramps are also your friend if you ever intend to visit your fort in adv. mode.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 01:46:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 01:58:39 am »

+1 for architecture requiring use of more than 1 z-level for 3D designs.

Other things you can attempt to do are "pop up" engravings, like digging grooves into the wall and stuff (digging, not engraving), so that the grooves pop up and form a image. A good reference is the konark sun temple irl. You can even carve out small indentations to place masterwork statues in.

I've done the same but in reverse for door archways, here's an example, my design for a magma catacombs entrance hall. The pillars will get statues placed on them eventually. Same deal for the platforms suspended in the magma.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:15:40 am by Zuglarkun »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »

Fun fact: I've decided to take my carving a step further, and have each year's worth of carving done by one lucky dwarf as a reward for achievement.

Year one was simply the highest-ranking engraver. He began by filling an entire pillar with a repeating scene all the way around: an elf being crushed by a bronze colossus.

::EDIT::
he has begun to branch out now, and has included carvings of a second elf being destroyed by a tundra titan.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:51:01 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »

Towersoared has some nice examples of what can be done with the inside.