Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Thoughts on Transhumanism  (Read 22047 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Technological Immortality
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »

Well that's why we do the whole "replace neurons individually" route. :P

Keep in mind I've thought about this shit a lot >_> I may not be able to articulate what I mean, but I'm getting an education so I can make this a reality, so it's kind of important to me.

Yeah! The old Ship of Theseus! Grandfather's Ax!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »

I suppose it depends on the manner in which it is unveiled. First things first - how much does it cost?
How much does it cost to become an astronaut? The answer when we first started the space program was "a space program."
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2015, 05:42:37 pm »

If it's well-established and proven to work, though, then that's not the best comparison. By the time you've done the R&D and have a few launches under your belt, you have a good idea of the finances you need to make it keep happening.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2015, 05:46:34 pm »

The main problem I have with the Ship of Theseus or Grandfathers Axe that I feel makes it a very inept metaphor is that the ship isn't a person, there's no mind or viewpoint to be destroyed or replaced. Considering that the whole problem with teleporting/uploading is the idea of "you" being destroyed, that's kind of a huge issue to leave out.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm »

I mean, at this point we want a good definition of what a person is. We're all working off our fairly inchoate notions of what a "you" intuitively is, or at least that's what it sounds like. I don't see why a mind or viewpoint or whatever is particularly special in a way that's relevant to the metaphor, for example.

For what it's worth, I look at it as analogous to a software system. What people want when they get uploaded is for their instance to get transferred across pieces of hardware, instead of for a new copy to get spun up on the new hardware. What we're talking about in this thread is similar to talking about rebuilding a computer a transistor (or other small hardware piece) at a time without turning it off or interrupting its functionality in a way the user can notice. Only more. That's how I see it, anyway.

EDIT: And the machine was never designed for that kind of modularity, either at the hardware or software level.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:59:58 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »

I very much liked the savestate analogy someone used a couple pages back. It pretty well sums up the reasoning of how I'd imagine it works, except drawing a different conclusion at the end.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:06 pm »

If it's well-established and proven to work, though, then that's not the best comparison. By the time you've done the R&D and have a few launches under your belt, you have a good idea of the finances you need to make it keep happening.
The demand involved would likely push the furthest reaches of industry towards making it cheaper ASAP. So new home expensive? You only have to do it once, after all. Hopefully. Maybe there are some side-effects that require long term care afterwards?

I can see people getting pissy-faced over the income disparity thing, but I guess it all depends on whether the machines doing the transfer are reusable or more like a drug. If they're reuseable, you could just keep doing it, and the cost would shrink as demand from the wealthy does too - on the other hand, that doesn't affect something like the cost of MRIs as much, because it involves superconducting magnets and huge cooling systems and crap.

After you've reached full market saturation you start being able to get the things second-hand, so you're looking at the costs of a medical procedure - paying the doctor, the doctor's insurance, the doctor's massage therapist, etc. On the other hand, the procedure to destructively convert billions of neurons and whatever other structures into synthetic or digital versions is probably going to be pretty hands-off, or else I think very, very dangerous, so cost of labor might be funky too.

TLDR: Who the hell knows, this is fantasy science-magic right now :V It's easy to say any number and make a convincing argument.
Music, Ballpoint

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2015, 06:34:56 pm »

The main problem I have with the Ship of Theseus or Grandfathers Axe that I feel makes it a very inept metaphor is that the ship isn't a person, there's no mind or viewpoint to be destroyed or replaced. Considering that the whole problem with teleporting/uploading is the idea of "you" being destroyed, that's kind of a huge issue to leave out.

Your body is replaced piecemeal all the time. IIRC your blood is totally replaced every few weeks. Even brain cells are naturally replaced, albeit  much much more gradually.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »

... And? What's your point? How does that address my point at all?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »

QUICK, REPLACE HIS BRAIN WHILE HE'S DISTRACTED

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »

The thread itself is a digital entity. Theoretically, if enough people posted in a thread the thread itself could achieve consciousness.

~~~

I thought of an interesting thought experiment about digital consciousness. It's related to ideas from the Greg Egan novel Permutation City.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoilered for length. Basically really interesting food for thought in Permutation City. There are some definitely complicated philosophical issues with any sort of machine consciousness.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:35:12 pm by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2015, 08:10:10 pm »

QUICK, REPLACE HIS BRAIN WHILE HE'S DISTRACTED
dangit now i'm dead

kinda

well old me is dead

the descan is dead long live the descan

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12:30 pm »

because we're already replaced piece by piece, and the brain is not wholly an exception to this; however slowly (and admittedly it is slowly to the point that it was undetectable until about a decade or two ago), neurons are replaced too.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

I thought of an interesting thought experiment about digital consciousness. It's related to ideas from the Greg Egan novel Permutation City.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoilered for length. Basically really interesting food for thought in Permutation City. There are some definitely complicated philosophical issues with any sort of machine consciousness.
This is actually a potentially huge problem for simulating any kind of brain in real time, and what I meant by maybe not being able to convincingly mimic the mind due to physical laws - the brain is not expressible in 'slices', neurons do not fire all together or even with regular patterns. If there are slices, they run at the planck length the same as any physical process, and they run in parallel. We can dismiss this to varying degrees by accepting some degree of quantization, but that will also mean we run either slower or stupider than natural without augmentation to accommodate this. Meaning a further degree of difference from 'normal'.

I haven't read Permutation City, though I love Egan and I remember a bit of this mind-fuckery in Diaspora with the Wang Tile algae. At the time he published Permutation City, 1994, memristors were an obscure pipe-dream, something he probably hadn't even heard of yet let alone thought to apply to his technology, but they're likely to come closest to being usable for this purpose. If we're forced to use a digital approximation instead, maybe we could get close to planck time in updates by using multiple clocks running in separate phases on some different parts of the brain. But that would only be a bandage on the terrifying fact that you're running in lockstep with a different kind of time entirely.
Music, Ballpoint

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »

For a while, I was leaning towards the idea of uploading by linking a brain to a set of 'blank' neural emulators, and growing into a sort of one person hive-mind, until the meat-brain becomes unneeded (or just dies of aging).

The last time I saw this discussion, I saw an interesting argument:
Is a consciousness itself a physical 'tag' that humanity will never be able to read or modify?

Now ... Maybe standard uploading would work for me. If I am frozen, so no brain activity occurs, and whatever my consciousness is, is copied correctly, I am both transferred over to digitized-self and am still meat-self. There is only one me at this moment, just saved in different mediums. If meat-me is never thawed, I should properly be transferred over, without that annoying 50% chance of being the dead one. (If meat-me is accidentally thawed, then I'd demand to do it all over. Can't have that dangling thread of living). Instant destructive uploading should be much the same.

If it later does come out that I actually died without transferring properly, digitized-self won't be thrown into existential angst or anything. Worried over ensuring that digitized-self doesn't get lethal-transferred again, yes, but not particularly upset at not being the original me.

((This was very strange to type.))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24