Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 920888 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #10920 on: March 06, 2016, 10:14:52 am »

....I don't honestly get where people get the idea this'll slow down the main game.

Think of it as this:
Main Game: Fate stay/night
Everything Gaiden: Endless Carnival: Carnival Phantasm

Separate, zanier continuity that is just screwing around.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:25 am »

Well, I personally get it from experience, if you are working on something, you aren't working on something else.

Especially if the other thing you are working on is easier to do a lot in and lose track of time doing it, as is common with really fun games like this new one is sure to be.

I don't mean anything by saying it, of course, just hoping.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: March 06, 2016, 02:12:42 pm »

Well, I personally get it from experience, if you are working on something, you aren't working on something else.

Especially if the other thing you are working on is easier to do a lot in and lose track of time doing it, as is common with really fun games like this new one is sure to be.
this is accurate.

Also, wow, fights are veritable salt mines, huh? It's actually impressing me just how much people can get angry during them. Though... honestly, I think it's inevitable.

First, you're trying to balance radically different characters to all operate on the same level, while at the same time you let them do pretty much whatever in terms of abilities. Slotting round pegs into square holes is hard enough without some of the pegs being starshaped and triangular and having little but the precedent of others to keep them from bending into an unworkable shape more or less at will. To be honest, this is part of why I'm not really proud of It That Embraces in this RP. She's cool, but she doesn't fit at all.

Second, you're using a system that you made. This is not likely to go well. There are plenty of actual published RPGs with mechanics that are fundamentally flawed in any number of ways, despite however much playtesting and focus groups and money and time was put into them. There is literally no reason why an original, barely-tested system would do any better, especially when that system is often redefined and at times barely coherent.

If it weren't for the fact that most of us don't throw enough words at the screen to make it work well, I'd recommend going more or less completely freeform, with stats as a guide at most. Sure, it wouldn't stop people from getting angry, but it's a lot less math-intensive to balance vague power levels and abilities and skills than it is to balance hard (and unpredictable) numbers against other numbers. It takes less work at the least. Tweaking descriptions and wording and appearances to make things feel balanced may be a lot of effort, but it feels less like work than cold hard math. And I feel a lot of the work that goes into mechanics just doesn't have much payoff....

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: March 06, 2016, 02:16:10 pm »

Again, no idea why people take this so seriously. It's a game on a forum for crying out loud, not something to get upset about.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: March 06, 2016, 02:17:32 pm »

It's actually impressing me just how much people can get angry during them.
Trust me. People on the internet have a vast capacity to take things way too seriously. :V

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: March 06, 2016, 02:20:50 pm »

To be honest, it's part of why I get so upset myself. It's really annoying to be yelled at by people who do take it seriously, to the point that my temper sometimes gets the better of me.

It's an unfortunate flaw.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: March 06, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »

Indeed. It is a flaw that a lot of people, myself included, all have taken at character creation.

In other news, I think I might link EG:EC in the OP. Just because.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: March 06, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »

I really don't want this to go freeform, because then I lose basically all agency, despite how paradoxical that sounds, because then I can make all the choices I want, but it is by design, impossible for my choices to be meaningful.  Instead of my success being dictated by the numbers, Gm, and dice, they are dictated by... *shrug*

I much prefer the arguments and nerfs/buffs to removing the equation to solve the problem.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: March 06, 2016, 02:36:12 pm »

It certainly wouldn't be without its downsides. Generally speaking, freeform means you want to concentrate more on telling the story than how well your character does. As you pointed out, without mechanics you can't make better or worse choices. Everything is pretty subjective and open to plenty of argument one way or another. In a way that's a feature, people are more willing to accept argument and vagueness when it's freeform, I think.

But in combat-driven RPs like this, people want to fight and win. It's not like my sister's fanfic-based RPs where everyone's there to commit shenanigans and shipping and have a good time. :V

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: March 06, 2016, 02:40:47 pm »

I was adding Shirogane to the master sheet, but question:

How does she have 42 stat points? A level 6 character should have 38.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10930 on: March 06, 2016, 02:54:37 pm »

As mentioned before, I am not a good enough roleplayer to accept those downsides.

As for it being combat driven, it isn't even that I want to win, it is that I want a sense of progression, an idea that something is being achieved.  Freeform's progression has nothing to do with the choices made, but rather... *shrug* Je ne sais quoi?

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

Huh, Yeah, she has too many points. Thanks for pointing it out Twin.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: March 06, 2016, 03:34:58 pm »

Shirogane added to the master sheet.

So, mine, Elf's, TBF's, Projeck's (although they need to assign a RES bonus for their armor), and Sanure's secondary characters are on the master sheet. Any I've missed?
Sigtext!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: March 06, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »

Kyle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: March 06, 2016, 03:41:53 pm »

He's in now.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1328