Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 923209 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #13980 on: March 30, 2016, 01:02:53 pm »

Both of my characters have abilities with "You can't move through" Clauses, but that is their whole thing.  I assume Actual movement at least mechanically should not be stopped by the kinetic shield, like, it responds to impact or something.

It has nothing in it about blocking movement, as defined by RAW if you are really going to pull the ability's statistics junk.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:05:36 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: March 30, 2016, 01:03:52 pm »

But that's a rules lawyer argument, and there comes a point where dealing with power gaming trumps the exact lawyers terms of the matter, especially when you're ignoring the limits of the rules of the ability yourself when it suits you.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: March 30, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »

Hmm. I'll reform Ghost Man. Instead of being able to go through any surface, he'll have huge ghost muscles.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:40 pm »

Both of my characters have abilities with "You can't move through" Clauses, but that is their whole thing.  I assume Actual movement at least mechanically should not be stopped by the kinetic shield, like, it responds to impact or something.
Well yes and no.

It depends on what Alanis wants it to do.  If she's going for 'you shall not pass and/or continue harrassing me', that's what's going to try to happen.

I would definitely accept opposed DEX checks.

RAW, it blocks attacks, including melee, which would preclude allowing movement.
But that's a rules lawyer argument, and there comes a point where dealing with power gaming trumps the exact lawyers terms of the matter, especially when you're ignoring the limits of the rules of the ability yourself when it suits you.
Evidence for that?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: March 30, 2016, 01:12:09 pm »

RAW, it has nothing like that.

"Kinetic Shell: Shield at 18+6n+1.5SYN HP, RES equal to Alanis's SYN.  Persists until broken."

As far as rules are concerned, it is merely a target which an enemy could choose to attack, since it has nothing in it about directing, blocking, or inhibiting attacks or movement.

That besides, Deflecting an attack does not require that it deflect movement, merely that it stops high speed objects, like a KINETIC shell.

But I digress, neither realistically, nor by RAW does it necessarily block movement through it. Merely that it is applicable as a target for an attack, which depending on the GM's discretion and shape of the shell, may be the default target instead of whoever is behind it.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: March 30, 2016, 01:17:55 pm »

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's a forcefield. Just because TBF doesn't include fluff, don't say they can never use it out of combat.
thincake

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: March 30, 2016, 01:22:14 pm »

The problem is, without fluff, it can do whatever he wants it to  Why not Kinetic Spikes? Kinetic Suffocation, Kinetic telefrag, need I go on?  That besides, It's restricting player agency for it to block movement, when some characters have skills designed to block movement and have stats for it that can be beaten, while he can say "Nope" on command?  If nothing else, it has no Str, so it should be easily moved, even if it cannot be damaged.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:23 pm »

The problem is, without fluff, it can do whatever he wants it to  Why not Kinetic Spikes? Kinetic Suffocation, Kinetic telefrag, need I go on?  That besides, It's restricting player agency for it to block movement, when some characters have skills designed to block movement and have stats for it that can be beaten, while he can say "Nope" on command?  If nothing else, it has no Str, so it should be easily moved, even if it cannot be damaged.
Except it's held in place through force of will not force of force?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »

Yes, he could do all those things.
I mean, isn't that the point of mostly freeform RP?
thincake

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: March 30, 2016, 01:28:26 pm »

no the point of freeform RP is play extreme chess at every opportunity
Black lives matter.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »

Whatever the case is, One ability should not do that much, Meh, It's going to be Obliterated in the reckoning anyway, so I'll concede with my head held high.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: March 30, 2016, 01:48:51 pm »

You say YOU'D accept opposed DEX checks, but it's the GMs who decide this sort of thing and not you, this is my issue. You're tilting the rules to try and gain more control over each in game situation Alanis is involved in than the GMs themselves and certainly more than other players.

Whenever the GMs try to rule otherwise, you argue them down, and whenever the other players take an action you block them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:51:04 pm by Powder Miner »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: March 30, 2016, 01:51:26 pm »

Yes, it is the GMs who decide.

However, I think SYN v. RES is an inappropriate check to make (especially for characters with purely physical barriers) because it's about the speed at which you block vs. the speed at which they move, and I am stating that I would prefer an alternative.

Wording aside, I just don't like it.

I mean, I'll deal with it, but SYN v. RES should be the check for actually punching through, not avoiding it in the first place.

Er, exactly when have I successfully argued down a GM?  Not for lack of trying, but seriously.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:53:30 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »

I haven't really ever seen you stop something they tell you to stop.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »

I took Wormhole off my sheet, didn't I?

Yeah, I did.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1328