Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73964 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2015, 04:27:33 pm »

I am willing to say that MAYBE we should fudge details for infantry captains >_> to let them survive unit wipe outs >_>

Though IMO Infantry are more of a defensive unit.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2015, 04:34:09 pm »

Soldiers always come with a complete platoon of 28 men.
You can click in the "unit" tab to see what kind of unit it is. Same like mechwarriors who bring their own machine.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2015, 04:39:13 pm »

Soldiers always come with a complete platoon of 28 men.
You can click in the "unit" tab to see what kind of unit it is. Same like mechwarriors who bring their own machine.

Infantry are... kind of extra killable

But sure... it does mean we will either need vehicles or to make these guys mechanized.

---

Whelp tried as hard as I could, but I can't get this program to work if my life depended on it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:20:18 pm by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2015, 05:47:40 pm »

Hey ive never heard of this game before and I'm still reading the opening posts so i don't know whats going on yet but is there a way i can play as an infantryman? It was mentioned that infantry, tanks and etc are support. It would be pretty funny and tense when massive death machines are blasting each other to be a guy with a rifle and a LAW (or 3040 versions, as said dont know this game) trying to stay alive on foot while pumping LAW rockets into mech heads. If not let me know if i can play and ill write up a bio for a mechpilot. If i can be a solider ill write up one suitable for a rifleman.

Playing as infantry makes me think of what it must be like to be part of the Planetary defense force in warhammer. Fodder for the fodder.
Sure, though it will be a while until I get enough soldiers in the weekly personnel rolls to create an infantry unit, and you're likely to die quickly as the AI tends to focus on infantry to the exclusion of more dangerous prey.

Actually, Infantry are the most common recruitable personnel.  You'll likely draw one in the next month or so.  They always come by the Platoon.

Also, while they tend to get targeted a lot by the AI, their numbers and slow speed tends to keep them alive.  The AI would generally have to go by all your mechs to get to the infantry.

On a per-month basis, they're very expensive (you have to pay all 20-28 of them) for their limited combat value.  Assuming Proudnerd doesn't mind, I find they are more useful for Support Operations.  Scout/Patrol gives a 1 in 6 chance of being able to declare a battle a Victory without fighting, which keeps our fighting machines in premium condition longer.

If anybody knows how to set infantry up for Sabotage/Loot/Extract, specifically how to roll the bonus roll in-game rather than going completely manually, I'd love to hear it, and would probably recommend that instead.  1 in 6 bonus roll but 1 in 6 Platoon wipe.

Unless somebody else wants the life of a ground pounder, we can just let Proudnerd act as our designated Infantry Leader.  If/When his character hits the ground for The Last Time, we can just say one of his relatives was recruited to lead the next batch of infantry.

The 3040 version of the LAW would most likely be the Man-Portable SRM 2.  Considering how common infantry really are, I'd be ok with just purchasing a Motorized or Jump SRM Infantry Platoon and bypassing the personnel market entirely.  Foot infantry are borderline useless without a supporting vehicle.

The best way to use infantry is to attach them to a unit that is near the max weight but that won't go over with their addition.  I generally treat the weight scales very seriously, and try to avoid even going up to a Medium lance as much as possible.  Assault mechs are for...well assaults, not regular patrols.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2015, 06:48:21 pm »

Foot infantry are borderline useless without a supporting vehicle

Well... On the attack... but I am listing an exception of an exception.

Entrenched Infantry with support and cover from being attacked until a mech comes into range.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:10:00 pm by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:10 pm »

Quote from: EuchreJack
Foot infantry are borderline useless without a supporting vehicle

Well... On the attack... but I am listing an exception of an exception.

Entrenched Infantry with support and cover from being attacked until a mech comes into range.
Might as well note me as the originator of that over-generalization.  I will however note that we don't know what sort of mission each lance will get stuck with at the time we create them.
HOWEVER: The Support Operation Guard allows our infantry to deploy to any battle in which we're the defender.  So if we want a Foot Infantry unit that stands with our mechs on defense, we can do that.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2015, 02:18:43 am »

Fair enough on the infantry. I'll admit to being a little blind - It took me a while to notice when some mechwarriors come with a second tab showing their assigned unit, so I never thought to take a look at infantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2015, 04:54:32 am »

I admit I never really knew if they were worth the price.

I always thought they were just included for completion sake or because they are often best for certain missions (If you need to snatch someone from a building... a huge mech isn't the best approach)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2015, 05:09:25 am »

I think it's a bit out of A and a bit out of B. Infantry definitely have their purpose fluff-wise, but in a game about giant robots pounding on each other, they don't make the best battlefield presence.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2015, 05:16:34 am »

I mean if they cost 1/10th their price I guess it would be along the level...

Or I guess half price

Part of their cost makes me think that maybe it is so high just to restrict the chances a person will flood the field with them... something that could have been alleviated if they just gave them a logistics requirement.

Then again I guess if a vehicle ran up and unloaded a 2-million Cbill infantry it would start shredding the mech if it didn't leave... which it could usually do easily.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:34:48 am by Neonivek »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2015, 06:17:15 am »

Episode 8 – MIRV Missiles and Lightning Guns

Spoiler: Setup – Round 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Round 6 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Victory! (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2015, 06:56:47 am »

Is there a way to tell how we are doing with the pirate elimination? Like... are they about to be defeated? Are they just a huge hoard? Some Intel?

On a side note: I am an idiot... the whole time I couldn't get this program to work? yeah I tried to get Megamek to work instead of MeqHQ

Ohh well time for me to create Spiderskiss varients
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:58:32 am by Neonivek »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2015, 07:15:17 am »

There's no real intel. There's some optional rulesets that people have made that allow you to roll for the size of the enemy from lance to multiple regiments. If you manage to knock them down to 0 and they don't get reinforced, you get an early win.

As it is, if we get the enemy down to rout (likely), then we've basically won. We'll have to serve out the rest of the contract time and we'll get chances at special missions each month, but no further regular combat missions will come up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:31 am »

Well I have two real variants of Spiderskiss

SpidersKiss-2d

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SpidersKiss-PPC1a
-Note: Adds some PPCs to the mix

SpidersKiss-ERLL1a

SpidersKiss-ERLL1b

SpidersKiss-ERLL1c

Just for fun I also made this... I am curious if this is useful or useless :P

Gugnir-1a

Basically its only attack is Streak SRM 2 and is equipped with a Beagle Active Probe and Guardian ECM Suit
---

Ok giving up, can someone here teach me how to use the program?

Heck I tried to copy but Hanzo seems to have more options then I do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:54:59 am by Neonivek »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2015, 08:33:01 am »

After a rout you don't have to wait out the contract. You can declare it a victory and get paid the outstanding money.

Nice update, and I finally hit stuff (sometimes)! And kick it!
Thanks for the paintjob!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40