Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 74001 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2015, 03:43:48 pm »

Goodness it is gonna be a while until we can do something cool with our money

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2015, 04:15:46 pm »

Found out the bug!

Could you add a continue in the weaponsFire if statement? Just copy pasting this over the current one should work!

Code: [Select]
    r = weaponsFire.search(line)
    if r is not None:
        currentUnit.timesFired += 1
        targetUnit = getUnit(r.group(2), r.group(3))
        targetUnit.timesFiredAt += 1
        if r.group(4) == "hits":
            currentUnit.timesFiredHit += 1
            targetUnit.timesFiredAtHit += 1
        continue

Because the continue wasn't there, it was counting missed shots as both regular weapons as well as missile weapons :P Programming! That was a nice catch on the bug! :)

Will read and comment on what I can only assume is a glorious victory as soon as I get some time :P

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:35 am »

Thanks again, Anvilfolk, it worked like a charm! I went through and fixed the firing information for the next episode, and number of shots looks to match now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

Dang it dang it DANG IT!!!

I was looking for a mech designing program, since there are no quads so it would have to be built, and I can't find a single competent mech designing program that works on my computer.

I keep getting the same message about it not working (apparently because Windows 7 doesn't run 16-bit programs... because the files that would have let Windows 7 do it take up less then a gig... OHH NO!!!). I am currently trying to fix it (Because curse you Windows 7).

There is a web program but GOODNESS is it not helpful (and oddly specific)

Anyhow I'll try to have a few options ready. I am glad the series doesn't penalize you for making custom mechs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:11:53 am by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2015, 08:17:43 am »

Can't you just use the MegaMekLab program included in the MekHQ package?  It works fine on my Windows 7 computer.

Proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2015, 08:35:24 am »

+1 for the Meklab. Easiest way to integrate custom designs into a campaign or battle and works fine on my Win7 computer too :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2015, 08:36:28 am »

Not Meklab :P

MEGAmeklab :P

Two entirely separate programs apperantly...

What year is the game?

3040 with advanced tech? or 3040 with standard?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:41:55 am by Neonivek »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:57 am »

I think you can set tech level as high as you want as long as you have the year right, the problem is just whether you can actually get the parts to do whatever refit you designed (and maybe whether it's a factory/whatever refit, but that doesn't have any mechanics built into MHQ, and you can't tell that unless you're making the variant in MHQ). Note that I don't think custom mechs/variants show up in the unit market (certainly most of the things that show up are based on the RATs for various factions related to where you are and what you're doing, the only ones I'm not sure about are the open and black markets), so you'd have to buy them via "Purchase Unit" instead (or buy a different variant and then refit that).

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

The year is 3040, maximum tech level is Experimental. Parts are limited by year, and currently only canon units are allowed, but that can be switched off.

Doing some quick looking, things that are higher then base tech that we can buy at our current rating:

Double Heat Sinks
Gauss Rifles
Heavy Naval Gauss Rifles (!) (No, you're not allowed to design a mech around one. Besides, the Ares Convention frowns on firing on at planetary targets.)
Ultra AC/5
MASC

Hm... looking over the rules, we should be able to get advanced parts on locations like Outreach for a price bump, and we might also get wider access when the contract is over. This should cover a lot of things like the LB-10X, ER Large Lasers / ER PPCs, AMS, CASE, etc.

So more parts should become more generally available as our reputation improves.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:49:43 am by Hanzoku »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2015, 09:11:09 am »

Gonna be hard since Sarna doesn't have everything. Though typically if it doesn't have it, it means it is fluff used for civilian equipment. Like "Dumper" which no mech actually needs.

currently only canon units are allowed, but that can be switched off.

Thanks... I'll try to have something worthwhile. Is there any role you need filled? (remembering that Quads have a bit of a "Aiming" issue)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:25 am »

Design-wise, I've noticed that just about everything in MegaMek ends up at spitting range after a round or two, so I think a design that functions best at range isn't too viable. (See the laughable HSR-200D Hussar, a design so badly armored that it suffers armor penetration from anything heavier then a machine gun or small laser.) Other then that, I'll adapt tactics around just about anything, though I have a personal preference for designs that can fire everything every round without issues.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:52:02 am by Hanzoku »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:24 am »

Hmmm Ok, I'll try a 60 tonner first.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2015, 10:04:03 am »

Sounds cool, there's sort of a lack of heavy quads anyway - plenty of light and assault quads show up later, but nothing really inbetween.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Here is my first attempt. Feel free to laugh your ass off... I like it >_>

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its so stupidly expensive! I really should have tried a cheaper design but I was working within the system. Pulse lasers have a lower BV then normal lasers but IMO their "True Battle value" goes up the less experienced the Pilot. So for greens, like my pilot, pulse lasers are essential.

I forgot the lighter the mech the less internals matter... and the heavier the mech the more internals matter. It is why I consider 75-ton and 100-ton mechs to be equals combat wise.

Also dang the exporter it didn't list where ALL the internals are... >_<
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:23:15 am by Neonivek »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2015, 10:21:45 am »

In my previous campaign I managed to make mostly good use of a Hussar that I got from some StarLeague cache. Still, there are better choices at 30t. But it is good for running to the other side and gathering data while the others fight. :D

Some maps and some weather conditions allow for more long range combat. When everyone can only move so far in the middle of the night those PPCs are a lot more handy than the AC/20 (I still love my Hunchbacks). If you bring a lot of long range firepower and concentrate it at one point, the AI seems to be reluctant to enter your firing range. Some suicidal units will charge you alone, and the others might end up in your range, I really enjoy those missions. (My Assault/Command lance has an Awesome 8Q, a Warhammer 6R, a StarLeague Griffin 2N and a Stalker (the one with only one LRM launcher). Also a Phoenix Hawk and a Hunchback, both standard versions iirc.

Edit: About the Mech: I think for the time being standard Tech will be more convenient, as it is a lot cheaper.

I have too many Phoenix Hawks (though they are really good for 45t) and too many Shadow Hawks (which have some horrible weapons layout but are at least sturdy), whats up with these birds?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:24:03 am by Rince Wind »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40