Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73884 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »

Generally I don't post after myself, but I was busy working on the next updates today. I'll set a timelimit of this Sunday for the last two player characters for the initial company, after that any submissions will join the unit through the in-game recruitment system.

I rolled up the two (potential) NPCs using the in-development 'life module' system in the newest AtB rules to generate their inital lives - One ended up being an ex-Maskirovika agent who got burned and was watching her career spiral into the crapper with worse and worse assignments. The other is a young Davion dropout from the military academy who hasn't amounted to much yet. I sort of imagine him as a slacker pothead. With a mech. >_>
Huh...so did they incorporate the extended character generation process from Mechwarrior 3rd ed. and the House sourcebooks??

Also, stoked to get my -F Jenner. So much more survivable (and not out of place, as it's a Kuritan variant, and thus not that uncommon in the Kungsarme). If we can specify our standard tactics, mine would be to rush targets at full speed so that I end up running past them, doing a flip-arm, and nailing them in the back at short range (2-3 hexes), then running away the next turn to shed the excess 2 heat, then circling and making another strafing run.

If we had a lance of Jenners, we could do the "Ring of Death", where all four run in circles around their target while torso-twisting and firing. 16 ML's each round is some nasty business.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »

Lucky Bastard likes him already.

Also, does that mean we have to wait until next week for this LP to start?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2015, 02:29:36 pm »

I'm working on a short story section for later this week, and the next mechanics/setup post will be ready to go next Monday, I just wanted to give any stragglers a chance to create a PC, given a few people were chanting "One of us, One of us!" to Erkki for example. :)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2015, 03:26:50 pm »

Ha ha, guess I'll just have to wait til next week to see my mechwarrior be 1-shotted in the head by the first AC/20 it comes across :D

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2015, 03:41:15 pm »

Ha ha, guess I'll just have to wait til next week to see my mechwarrior be 1-shotted in the head by the first AC/20 it comes across :D

A head chop like that is how I won my first game of tabletop BattleTech. :D
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2015, 03:50:14 pm »

A head chop like that is how I won my first game of tabletop BattleTech. :D

A major reason for a lot of weapons battle value is simply because of the chance they have to instantly destroy a mech.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2015, 02:03:29 am »

I'm desperately trying to follow along, but everything, including the game itself, seems to be hidden or not working as described.

For example, I have a version from February.  Everything else is all like "404, this doesn't exist".
I'd really like a copy of that in-development life simulator, but can't find it anywhere.  I've no interest to write 12 people's bios.  And the guide that I followed seems to indicate that somewhere I'd be told what mechs each player starts with, but it acts like it's all magic but it actually doesn't occur unless I run everyone through the Excel Rules and type it out myself.  I guess. 

Honestly, I'd love to enjoy this game, but it seems to be made of '80s video game tech where the player needs to reference outside documentation to do anything.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2015, 03:28:58 am »

Well, hopefully I can help with some of that:

Latest Rules - 2.31 You can find the 'Life Modules' option for generating a background for people in the 'Dev' tab, as they're probably not 100% yet. You do have to do the rolling yourself to come up with a basic background, and it more gives you points you can rig a bio around yourself.
Sourceforge Version Repository for MekHQ (Thanks to Anvilfolk for finding that back). You want 0.3.19, as 0.3.20 has a bug that prevents AtB from being used.
Xotl's Faction Assignment & Rarity Table

copying a section out of my next mechanics post...

For Mech generation, there are two different ways to do it.

The way I'm using is to roll for faction and type, then roll on the rarity table for the resulting mech, but I'm fond of spreadsheets.

You can also generate starting mechs through MegaMek.

Using the tables in the AtB excel sheet, Company_Creation Form, cells 69-101
1 ) Roll 1d20 for the faction (14 -Liao)
2 ) Roll 2d6 for the weight (6 - Light)
3 ) Roll 2d6 for the Tech level (7 - D)

1 ) Start MegaMek
2 ) Start a new game
3 ) Click on 'Create random army'
4 ) Click on the tab 'RAT'
5 ) There's a lot of folders, but you want Unofficial > xotl_mechs > correct year for your game (3039 in my case) > character faction (Liao) > Weight and Tech (Liao 3039 Light Mechs D)
6 ) Change the number in Units in the upper left to 1
7 ) Click the button 'Roll'
8 ) Note down the mech for that character and move on to the next.

You now have a randomly generated mech that you can then find back and add in MekHQ.

AtB isn't fully integrated into MekHQ, so at the moment, it definitely requires external documentation to use. MekHQ also seems to be meant to be used in conjunction with the rulebooks - they've done a great job of making it a usable product without them, but we're (probably) missing things because we're not using the actual rulebooks for some of this stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:37:12 am by Hanzoku »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2015, 06:03:25 am »

Interlude 1
Chance Meetings

Disclaimer: I'm taking the liberty in describing and writing for your characters to some extent. If you have things you'd like changed or feedback you'd like to give, feel free to drop me a PM or reply to the thread.

Spoiler: Harlech, Outreach (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:57:28 am by Hanzoku »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55:07 am »

Oh man, those interest rates. They really took advantage of our alcohol fueled enthusiasm there. But those are peanuts compared to I had to pay back home.
My loans were peanuts as well, compared to this...

But hell, this is so cool. This is even better than those Solaris stables. We'll all be rich and famous soon! I can't wait. Especially for the rich part, though famous helps with the girls as well...
We'll need a cool name as well, something awesome like... I don't know... Wolf's Dragoons cool, not Eridani Light Horse boring. So people will remember our name and fear us. Also cheer us, of course, cheering is important, I should know, I'm from Solaris. You can't cheer a name like 1. Port Arthur Regiment, 5th battalion, 3rd Lance.

Also.. um... Han, you DO know where to ask for jobs... I mean contracts, right?
Oh and is there ... like some training place? I am eh...a bit rusty with that PPC.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2015, 08:52:05 am »

Nice intro. I am also entirely unsure if Hidonious is my character with a misspelled name or someone who has a eerily similar name!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2015, 08:57:08 am »

A misspelling, not sure when that happened, but I've corrected the interlude and my notes to prevent it from happening again.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2015, 09:09:11 am »

No worries. It's a weird name. I like weird names. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2015, 11:44:15 am »

Awesome update, and thanks for the assist!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2015, 12:30:08 pm »

Yes, a really great start!

I think I'll have to do a write up offering to take the greenhorns through a simulator to teach them which is the deadly end of a PPC.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40