Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73834 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:23 am »

Funny you should mention that...

It was used once, and was one of the things that led to the House Liao getting the crap kicked out of it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:56 am »

Don't the clans clone all the time?

Damn you, I loaded up the game as well again and continue with my company of married couples. Is there a way to tell the game that it is not the 4th succession war anymore? Its 3045, dammit.
I am upgrading more and more mechs, but the enemy seems to use mostly stock ones, hardly any with the new tech. How common are upgraded mechs, or rebuilt ones that use their original Star League specifications?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 31, 2016, 10:22:04 am »

The fact of the matter is... Using outdated mechs that would serve better in a junk pile is... extremely common.

Mostly because mechs are freeken expensive and the setting kind of... glances over the science that would cause them to break apart (lets just say mechs are VERY... lasting to say the least)

So you get in a situation where new mechs are built entirely to supplement the old ones, not replace them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 31, 2016, 10:48:13 am »

I know mechs are a little bit like space marines, fighting for hundreds of years. There aren't really new mechs with more advanced tech on the market (which is okay, I guess, the houses probably get to choose first and the mercs have to take whats left), so I am upgrading. It just feels so unfair when my Phoenix Hawks have snub nose PPCs and double heatsinks (and still those stupid MGs, I might have to customize them) and so on and the enemy just fields standard variants.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:56 pm »

I know mechs are a little bit like space marines, fighting for hundreds of years. There aren't really new mechs with more advanced tech on the market (which is okay, I guess, the houses probably get to choose first and the mercs have to take whats left), so I am upgrading. It just feels so unfair when my Phoenix Hawks have snub nose PPCs and double heatsinks (and still those stupid MGs, I might have to customize them) and so on and the enemy just fields standard variants.

I have the same concern over whether or when the Campaign upgrades its mechs.  What RATs did you select?

On the bright side, I know that the game will stop listing Fourth Succession war.  It is just an Era descriptor.  Unfortunately, I don't think the game goes past Jihad.

FYI, it is possible to just select a vehicle, mech, or infantry platoon in the hangar and select fill personnel, although it does tend to differ from the spirit of the rules.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 01, 2016, 02:52:22 am »

For MegaMek, it does everything from the RATs selected for use, looking in the topmost in the list and working its way down. I think it also checks introduction year, so if you add Era Report 3052 to the list at the top, you might start to see upgraded units from that RAT appear in the market and on the battlefield.

Don't the clans clone all the time?

Damn you, I loaded up the game as well again and continue with my company of married couples. Is there a way to tell the game that it is not the 4th succession war anymore? Its 3045, dammit.
I am upgrading more and more mechs, but the enemy seems to use mostly stock ones, hardly any with the new tech. How common are upgraded mechs, or rebuilt ones that use their original Star League specifications?

Yes and no. The 'trueborn' of the Clans are created through artificial wombs and what should be a strictly controlled eugenics program that mixes the genes of the best warriors of each clan together to produce superior children using an artificial womb to gestate them. Actual cloning is strictly off limits. However, a faction of the Clan Scientist Caste, the Society were known to do all sorts of unethical shit. Sibkos of direct clones of some of the best mechwarriors were encountered.

Probably the most famous clone was actually created by Wolf's Dragoons - Maeve Wolf, who was a genetic clone of Jaime Wolf. Both she and her 'father' remained unaware of her origins, but she was created in the hopes that his brilliance as a commander was genetic. She was eventually killed in the great purge of protagonist characters of 3073.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 01, 2016, 02:30:31 pm »

I have all the RATs up to the Era Report 3052 (I just added that one.) I shuffled them around a bit and added the '52 one, and now I can at least buy a Guillotine GLT-3N and a Thug -11E in the first month after the changes. We'll see if the enemies follow suit.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 02, 2016, 03:06:38 am »

Episode 17 – Vehicles and Cliffs Don’t Mix

Zhou’s Recon Lance is up against another extraction mission. This time should be a bit easier, as no mechs are present from the Regulars’ end. The terrain will also hopefully work in our favor, as the map is a Badlands – Cliffs map. If the vehicles can’t even get into gun range of each other, it’ll be easy enough to last twelve rounds.

As before, we lose if two of our mechs are destroyed, or if more than two of the civilians are destroyed. We can never control the battlefield, so we’ve not concerned with taking salvage, only in scoring kills for sweet, sweet XP.

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

We have a contract score of -1, but that should be adjusted to +1 since the civilian kills at the start of the campaign were counted incorrectly.

For the next week, Command Lance is fully functional again, but short one member. Zhou’s Recon Lance and Jack’s Recon Lance are full strength, but Battle Lance is still down two mechs and stays unassigned.

I understand your points about only assigning the minimum needed and running the rest as training lances, but currently we’re doing well after our rough start, and with some more victories we can push the contract score up into the positives.

For the next week, Jack’s Recon Lance has a recon raid against a light mech lance, and Zhou’s Recon Lance has a probing engagement with two lances of mechs and vehicles and a reinforcement lance.

June rolls around, and Christmas comes early. The enemy morale drops to Low, we gain 6 bonus parts and 19 members of the unit roll high enough to get bonus XP.

Bonus parts: parts can be from any availability level but cannot be Lostech and their value must be paid normally.

So if we’re missing something like a fusion engine, we can spend a bonus part to pick it up. I’m… unsure how far to abuse this. Since things like LB-10X autocannons aren’t lostech (anymore), we can use the bonus rolls to pick up some equipment we otherwise wouldn’t have yet for a few years… things like XL engines, gauss rifles, etc. I’m tempted to pick up parts to turn the Warhammer into a monstrosity with these things. I’m also tempted to throw some otherwise unavailable parts on the Warhammer with some in-universe justification for it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 02, 2016, 07:13:24 am »

You might have found a minor Star League cache, and the costs are what is needed to extract the stuff and bring it back into working order.

I think my Warhammers are -7A by now. Though I am not sure if the Artemis SRM-6 is really worth it, considering that I hardly ever use it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 02, 2016, 10:15:35 am »

I'm sure that Powerman pilot wasn't one of the Astechs you picked up: She's better than most of the Fedcom boys you'd have to drag along thus far, and they doubtlessly "drafted" her into the FedCom Special Forces!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 02, 2016, 10:23:22 am »

Give him a proper mech and let him go to town. :)

Also, I just noticed that one of the Vedettes had an insane ultra-ultra-elite gunner. He's probably dead now, given how enthusiastically Zhou's Recon Lance killed those tanks.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 02, 2016, 10:38:36 am »

A pair of gauss rifles would be pretty beastly :D
As long as we could find ammo for them?

And a big  >:( to battle lance missing another week - we're missing all the action (and functioning mechs)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 04, 2016, 06:05:05 am »

Episode 18 – Late Night Recon Work

Our first mission of the week takes place on Friday. In the days between the end of the last episode and the start of this one, the techs managed to get Raptor’s Quickdraw up and running, but screw up and end up destroying the arm for Knave’s Crab. A new one will be delivered on Saturday to try again, though.

Jack’s Recon Lance and attached FedCom Spider versus a single light lance. Barring bad luck, this should be another mission where we can win pretty handily, and even pick up some salvage this time.

Jack managed to reroll the mission parameters so that instead of occurring in pitch black conditions, it will occur during a Full Moon Night. Still not ideal, but light mechs have the mobility to care less about the conditions.

Spoiler: Turns 1 to 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turns 6 to 8 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Repairs (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:47 am »

So the FedCom pilot shoots at disabled mechs that can't shoot back...
...considering what we typically see from the FedCom pilots, she must be an officer.  No charging into the guns and dying for her!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 23, 2016, 12:57:55 pm »

Glad to know I can effectively kneecap,  since I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn apparently.

Also, can we hire a ComStar acolyte to do an exorcism (Mechsorcism?) of that Wolfhound? It's starting to be an Italian sports car -- in the shop more than on the field.

Lastly....when did we pick up the VTOL??

EDIT:
And lastly lastly...did I see that I went up a point in Gunnery?? I can haz Veteran now?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:15:14 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40