Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73850 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:26 pm »

Name: Roger Williams
Callsign: Raptor
Birthdate: October 28

Nation of Origin: Free Worlds League

Bio: From the day he was born, Roger Williams always wanted to be a Mechwarrior. Everything he did was towards that goal - he lived and breathed BattleMech operations, tactics, and management. Finally, when he was eighteen, he secured an appointment to his homeworld's military academy. He served with distinction - until, that is, he got caught up in one of the many petty power squabbles characteristic of League territory. Men and women he'd known for years were dying for what basically amounted to an interstellar dick-measuring competition. So, one day, he cashed in his favors and took an indefinite leave of absence. Of course, his superiors called it "absent without leave" and "high treason", but really, aren't those all the same thing? With nothing but the clothes on his back and a ridiculous amount of C-Bills "borrowed" from the planetary treasury, Williams found his way outside the League, bought himself a new 'Mech, and set out to find someone who had a use for his only real skills: wanton destruction, ruthless killing, and illegal parking. Well, mainly the first two.

2d6: 11
1d1000: 162

EDIT: How the hell did you get Against the Bot working? I tried once, and got stuck midway through one of the massive spreadsheets.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:48:31 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:51:46 pm »

Check the mekhq thread in other games. It's not that hard to get it running.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »

edited in some background. Probably needs some work >.>

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 12:27:40 am »

Name: Alexander Roberts
Callsign: Thermo
Birthdate: 22nd of August

Nation of Origin: Random, see below

Bio: ??? (Might have to adapt that to the random nation, so I'll wait on that first.)

If you want a random nation of origin, roll 1d20: 18
Roll 2d6 (A dice roller can do so): 8
Roll 1d1000 (you can use Random.org to do so): 946
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 02:50:00 am »

18 gets you Draconis Combine as your nation of origin. Given your name, you probably come from one of the border worlds that gets traded back and forth, but it's up to you.

Your mech rolls give you a GRF-1N Griffin

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 03:58:46 am »

Yeah, border world sounds about right, probably one of the FedSun worlds. Maybe even hailing from either Quentin or Formalhaut and signing up to a merc company out of defiance towards the combine after the results of the war of 3039.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 04:16:18 am »

Edit: Since AnvilFolk helpfully pointed out where to find all the older versions of MegaMek, I have updated to the newest version available that works with Against the Bot – 0.3.19. Because of this, I’ve updated this entry for the new options built in since 0.3.14. All the changes are found in the Campaign Options section, and only a few screens were effected.

Episode 1 - Setting up MekHQ (Game Options)
For my game, I’ll take the version that Professor Lemur kindly packaged up for download in the thread here. It’s a little behind the times, but doesn’t come with the crippling bug that the latest development version (0.3.20) has, that prevents you from turning on Against the Bot rules. It’s already fixed for the next version, but who knows when that will come out.

When you set up a new campaign, the very first thing you’re confronted with is a dialogue to choose your starting date and year. As I said in the first post, we’ll be starting in 3040, and for the day, I choose a random number between 1 and 365, then check on Wikipedia which day of the year that would be. In this case, I ended up with March 26th (it would have been 27th, but even in the far future, 3040 is a leap year.)

Spoiler: MekHQ Options (click to show/hide)

Before I start explaining the MekHQ program, let’s look over the MegaMek game options – these are the things that come into play once the shooting starts.

Spoiler: MegaMek Options (click to show/hide)

In the next episode, we’ll go ahead with looking at MekHQ and finishing the setup of the company.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:50:11 am by Hanzoku »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:23 am »

Name: Han Zoku
Callsign: Rebel
Birthdate: March 27, 3012

Nation of Origin: Federated Suns

Bio: Han’s parents hailed from the Draconis Combine and arrived on the planet Tancredi IV in the 3010s to help coordinate the export of its agricultural activities back to the Draconis Combine. He was born on March 27th, 3012. When the Federated Suns liberated the planet from the Draconis Combine in 3023, his family was cast into poverty.

Despite his family’s hatred and distaste for the Federated Suns for their fall from prosperity, the efforts of the Federated Suns to reeducate a planetary population that had been under the Draconis Combine for the last hundred years were successful for young Han Zoku, and he became a very patriotic and loyal citizen of the Federated Suns, leading to many arguments with his parents.

At 18, he applied to and was accepted by the New Avalon Military Academy. He was disowned by his furious parents, who saw his desire to join the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth as a betrayal of his heritage and his family. Dismayed, he left his homeworld behind.

He scored well in his classes at the NAMA, but started becoming bitter and disillusioned with the Federated Suns as he experienced a great deal of racism due to his obvious Kuritian features. MIIO discreetly keep tabs on him through his schooling, as there was a great deal of suspicion that he was some form of sleeper agent.

Despite the antipathy of his classmates and teachers, Han Zoku graduated with honors and was assigned to the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs in the Draconis March.

This posting proved a difficult one for Han Zoku. He was assigned a captured Draconis Combine WHM-6K Warhammer, but the institutional apathy towards anything from the Draconis Combine saw him and others with similar heritage receive the worst assignments among the unit and poor performance reviews, irrespective of their actual efforts.

In 3011, the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs participated in a raid in force on the world of Ares in the Capellean Confederation. There, they became bogged down in heavy fighting against the defending 12th Liao Lancers. When the AFFC forces detected reinforcements burning towards the planet, they staged a retreat towards the star port where their Dropships were waiting. Han Zoku was among the half-dozen MechWarriors left behind as a rear guard taking position in a broken and metal-rich badland. The unit also happened to be the last six members of the Chasseurs with any trace of Draconis heritage.

The experience broke the last of Han’s loyalty to the Federated Commonwealth, but he had no choice but to fight as the Lancers threw a full battalion of light and medium mechs at their positions. In the vicious fighting, the Davion mechs were pushed back into the badlands and became separated.  He was listed as missing in action and presumed killed, and that was that for his military career.

However, Han survived, and managed to smuggle himself and his battered mech off planet. Alive but without any remaining loyalties, he turned to a life as a mercenary, and made his way to the planet of Outreach, looking to join a mercenary unit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:01:52 am by Hanzoku »

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:28 am »

Wow. Way to put all the rest of our backstories to shame!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:07 am »

Hahahahah :D He is the GM, so I'm gonna go with that!

Also, Hanzoku, I have my copy of 0.3.19 MekHQ here that I've zipped up. Want me to upload it somewhere? It seems to work just fine, except that you can't repair parts in the warehouse somehow.

Looking forward to seeing where we start :D We definitely feel like a rag-tag bunch so far.

Still surprised you didn't use symfire and symphys. So much time saving :)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:46 am »

Sure, there looks to be some good fixes in the versions up to 0.3.19

We'll be starting on Outreach - that's where everyone will have gathered before we form our ragtag mercenary company.

What are symfire and symphys? I did a search for each of those, but got back some disturbing results for symphys. >_>

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 10:01:34 am »

HAHAHAHAHAH, oh gosh, sorry! It's lingo for Simultaneous Fire and Simultaneous Physical Attacks! Basically all it means is that you can declare all of your attacks at the same time that the bot declares theirs. Which of you is getting shot at doesn't really influence who of them you decide to shoot - and maybe similar with physicals. Physicals can be a little bit more iffy because you might want not to kick if someone is kicking you, to reduce chances of falling or stuff like that. I tend to have an Always Kick Policy :D

Here you go - uploaded it: http://www.filedropper.com/mekhq-0319-windows

I am an idiot, there's also the official downloads where you can choose what to download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mekhq/files/development/

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 10:12:11 am »

Ahhhh, OK. Honestly, I wasn't sure how well the AI handled those options, but then again, it never seems to care who I focus my attacks on, so I might enable them both to speed up the attack phases of combat.

Ah, and that's where that link is. I knew they had the files on sourceforge, but I was failing my roll to find back the development head directory so I could get to an older version with functional rules. Thanks!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 11:46:26 am »

Name: Konrad Lai
Callsign: Little Dog
Birthdate: October 26, 2999

Nation of Origin: Free Republic of Rasalhague (Unzmarkt)

Bio:
Konrad hails from an old Lyran family that migrated to Unzmarkt after the First Succession War, when it was added to the Tamar Pact. The family's fortunes were undone as Kuritan forces annexed the planet a generation later in the Second Succession War. They managed to eke out a modest fortune as livestock brokers for the next 200 years. Prior to, and during, the Fourth Succession War, Konrad was already a seasoned reconnaissance pilot with the 1st Tyr Regiment. After the creation of the Kungsarme, he joined the Kavalleri but agreed with the Motpart in feeling that the more Steiner-aligned Rasalhagians (who had done most of the fighting) were getting short shrift in favor of those who had been freed from Kuritan domination "not by their actions but by a treaty signed in the blood of others".

He left the Kavalleri regiment, taking his mech with him, and seeking to find a new home elsewhere.

Roll 2d6 (A dice roller can do so): 3
Roll 1d1000 (you can use Random.org to do so): 938

(I'd really love to have a JR-7F if possible...this is a recycle of an old BTech 3056 MUSE character that I played a couple of decades ago....)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAH, oh gosh, sorry! It's lingo for Simultaneous Fire and Simultaneous Physical Attacks! Basically all it means is that you can declare all of your attacks at the same time that the bot declares theirs. Which of you is getting shot at doesn't really influence who of them you decide to shoot - and maybe similar with physicals. Physicals can be a little bit more iffy because you might want not to kick if someone is kicking you, to reduce chances of falling or stuff like that. I tend to have an Always Kick Policy :D

Didn't noticed those options in megamek, thanks for mentionning, that simultaneous combat will come greatly as it's reminding of what you get in the Mechwarrior games (in which due to real time , mechs do all fire at the same time)

Following this thread to see how that Against the Bot campaign can play, as i have not still tried.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40