Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why So Easy?  (Read 1403 times)

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why So Easy?
« on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:00 pm »

None of my games end in brutal murder anymore. No goblins lay siege. No kobolds steal or kidnap. Very few giant beasts prowl the land. No titans show up. Nothing forgotten raises forth from below the earth.

It's been like this for the past dozen or so worlds I've created. Nothing EVER shows up to kill me regardless of what my world settings are. Am I the only one experiencing this? What's the problem? What happened? I play Dwarf Fortress because of the senseless brutality and sheer difficulty in keeping things going. What's the point if it all just ends up being Baby Hand Holding Simulator?!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Why So Easy?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:58:00 pm »

Raise civilizations to like 100 or higher for anything over a small world, it'll end up covered in towers, and you'll end up buried in zombies yearly if, you know... you're in to that sort of thing.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:14:15 am »

None of my games end in brutal murder anymore. No goblins lay siege. No kobolds steal or kidnap. Very few giant beasts prowl the land. No titans show up. Nothing forgotten raises forth from below the earth.

It's been like this for the past dozen or so worlds I've created. Nothing EVER shows up to kill me regardless of what my world settings are. Am I the only one experiencing this? What's the problem? What happened? I play Dwarf Fortress because of the senseless brutality and sheer difficulty in keeping things going. What's the point if it all just ends up being Baby Hand Holding Simulator?!

There's a bug in .40.xx with siege pathfinding that makes encounters with enemies much more scare. I THINK its probably fixed in the version coming out in the next few months, so things'll be better then. You could embark on a tower or an evil biome, but husks and zombies are hella robust right now and WILL wreck you no matter what. You could also look into mods, there are a few that add more difficult enemies, although I doubt they bypass the invader pathfinding bug. I've seen a couple that add cults and other interior dangers to the fort and a few more that make the caverns more dangerous. Failing that, you could move back to 34.11. I always found sieges inconsistent, personally, even when they weren't bugged. I might get three ambushes in the first three years and then nothing until a siege of 200 goblins shows up on my doorstep ten years down the line.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:42:40 am »

Invite the clowns.

After that feels easy, build a dining hall in their home.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 06:28:42 am »

Something seems odd if you've never seen any FBs (have you breached all the caverns?). I typically get a dozen+ on each embark (and have received suspiciously few on this one, only 8).
Settling near black towers helps with getting guests (if you're lucky the first dinner party occurs after 3 months), as does settling near goblins (closer to them than any other target to make them go after you rather than some softer target). Also, you need a population of 80 before goblins and titans start to show up, unless you've changed the corresponding parameters.
To get kobolds, you need to settle close enough to them, which usually requires you to turn display of caves on and check for kobold ones (or blind luck). Not that it provides much of interest, as it usually yields one that comes back from time to time and flees until discovered until it's killed.

And yes, the circus provides a challenge.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:00 am »

I agree that the game currently provides no challenge unless you purposely set yourself up to get screwed.

Solutions:
1) Wait for the next release
2) Evil biomes and necromancers
3) Clowncar
4) Mods/modding

That's about all you can do, for the time being.

But yeah, your lack of FBs is a little strange. I at least get those in abundance.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:05 pm »

Huh, yeah...I usually have enough to start attracting FBs along with werebeasts pretty early on. Usually always get a werebeast around first caravan that kills a few of my people because freaking werebeasts :|

You could also try pissing off the humans and elves.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:44 pm »

if nothing literally EVER shows up, check init

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:20:04 pm »

For some reason I never get any weres, so I thought their appearance was tied to a pop of 80 (like a certain immigration source of !!fun!!), which I don't reach since I play reduced size fortresses (with invasion thresholds lowered to a pop of 20).

- Circus conquest certainly provides a certain amount of challenge, so that could be something to aim for.
- A husking reanimating glacier can also provide an environmental challenge.
- You can also apply various restrictions, such as e.g. embarking in treeless areas with no wood brought on embark (except the wagon, of course, but you may elect not to use that). You can also make it a single pick challenge.
- Or, go in a completely different direction and create a mega project.
- Generate a world with a huge number of titans, megabeasts, and semi megabeasts and embark at year 0 (since everyone will usually be wiped out if you delay the starting time too much). Settle right beside a goblin settlement.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:24:22 pm »

I've also never gotten werebeasts in the new version.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:49 am »

I got a constant string of Wereass' in only my second ever embark, which only lasted about 8 (real) hours.   They lived up to their name - asses.  One would appear and kill 5-10 dwarves in a single hit each despite only being around for a day before turning into an Elf.

I thought that wasn't *too* terrible, even though, it being my second ever embark and only a few hours into my DF experience, I hadn't the slightest idea how to avoid them, let alone combat them.  Until a couple of game months later when I realised that my dwarves were now infected, and they were now turning into asses from inside the fortress as well.  I quit at that point, and did custom world gen for my third embark to turn off nearly all nasties until I understood the game better.

So, yeah.  I've only done three embarks total and am still playing my third one, some 80 hours in (learning all the game mechanics before I eventually get around to restarting with more danger/Fun), but between those I've had Wereass', maybe 10 or 15 Titans, and Trolls and various other underground things from digging deep into the caverns.  And that's with my embarking in Serene biomes with 95% of my play time in a fiddled world gen with 90% of the available beasts turned off.

I only started playing three weeks ago so all of this is on 40.24, and I hadn't exactly got the impression that there were only a few nasties out there..
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:38:01 am by TheBloke »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:10 am »

That's odd, I've genned 9 regions so far since I started getting into 40.24, and every fort I've had has always gotten werebeasts around the same time as the dwarven caravan. Certainly not tied to population, my current fort is only at 68 people and my second one just showed up and murdered two people. Dang werebear, I hadn't begun making actual armour yet...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

madmario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 10:08:38 am »

I've also never gotten werebeasts in the new version.

I get one every few years or so in my present fortress.