Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Most obscure legendary?  (Read 7734 times)

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure legendary?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 07:12:00 am »

I've got two stupid things...

Every blacksmith I get with strange mood turns in to legendary furnace operator :P

And I had a fortress where the first big wave (second year) brought 3 craftsdwarves, one by one everyone of them went to strange mood. But only 2 finished. One guy wanted wood, there was plenty of all types on map, he didn't want any, went wild, kicked dog, got swarmed by dog pack  :D Second one became legendary leatherworker, third too. Second one drowned by river side and third is now a soldier because of his superdwarvenly tough stat  :D But hey I want some better legendarys  ;)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

I have never seen any of these 'useless legendaries': Every legendary can pull their weight used properly, perhaps.  For example, I managed to somehow get a map where, despite having 10 looms constantly tended by dwarves, the spider silk spawns faster then they can collect and weave... Who is going to do anything with all this cloth?  I don't have a legendary weaver, but if I did, it would be sad that much of a weaver's time is spent walking around collecting silk... but anyway...  The cloth is handed on to:

First, the Legendary Dyer.  Dyamn... He's fast.  Can barely keep up dye production to keep up with him using 2 specialized milling dwarves, and an army of growers.  Then it goes to:

The Legendary Clothier.  Egads, Take the already masterfully dyed cloth and make... Socks?  A few... mostly silk bags, though.  Dye production needs them.  Nothin in my fort costs as much as the bags I keep them in.  

In tandem, this army of collecting dwarves, growing dwarves, and one legendary clothier and one legendary dyer, produces enough to buy completely out an entire human caravan.  And I am in my second year.  And I am happy to say I do not use any rock to do it.  Spider silk is entirely renewable.  I know people don't like rock clutter, but I love it, and always need a lot of it, because I make everything else outof rock when possible... And I force a few good dwarves to become legendary miners off the bat so I can get as much of it as possible...

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

You actually use a legendary dyer? Doesn't matter that they're fast, the dye adds such little value to items that it's really not worth bothering with.
I rely a lot on my clothesmaker, though - she takes all the pig tail cloth and cave spider silk that the traders bring with them and she makes them into lots and lots of socks and shoes to sell back to the traders for more cloth and silk  :D After the first dwarven caravan I can pretty much survive entirely from the cloth the traders bring. Five years into one game I had a ridiculously large stockpile of shoes that just kept getting bigger and bigger - I'd sell two bins of shoes to buy enough cloth and silk to fill three or four bins on top of the meat, booze, leather and other stuff that took my fancy.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 02:09:00 pm »

I once had a legendary leatherworker, and he was awesome. I had a massive butchery  operation, so I just made a repeating tanning job and had him make leather masterpieces. Also, I requested every leather from the caravan, and was able to pay for it all.

Re: Herbalists. They are indeed awesome. A great secondary food sourec, or even a primary one if there's enough of them skilled.

Check out my books at O and H Books

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Gem cutting.
There's no way there are 300 natural gems in the fortress, which means that you'll have to make 300 peices of raw green glass before you get a legendary gem cutter... Artifacts almost never give gem cutting either; it's almost exclusively jeweling.   :(</STRONG>

I HAD ONE
ARRRRGH, knowing this makes me pissed off about accidentally deleting my save all over again. He made an aventurine hatch cover and got legendary gem cutting, but he never produced any large gems...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

I think I have a legendary gem cutter in one of my current forts.  Made a sapphire coffer.
I have as of yet not told him to cut any gems. :P

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Made a sapphire coffer.</STRONG>

That would take alot of gems to make.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Chops II

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

i dont know if this is very obscure but i have a legendary admin

glau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

What about social skills?
Ever got any legendary liar?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

I think the real feat is to get a Legendary Thrower in fortress mode. They only throw things in tantrums...
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

Not necessarily.  I've got a dwarven ranger wandering around who somehow got himself "Dabbling Thrower", even though he's never even been unhappy.

However, I did slap the [FIREBREATH] tag on dwarves, so they've been tossing fireballs at stuff.  Maybe that counts as throwing XP.

Yep.  Dwarves got firebreath, humans got dragon firebreath, and elves got webbing.  Firebreathing drunks, nothin' better.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by glau:
<STRONG>What about social skills?
Ever got any legendary liar?</STRONG>

I always have a legendary record keeper.  If you set your bookkeeping accuracy to "All counts accurate" and make sure your record keeper has an office, he can get to legendary within the first two years.  Of course he won't do anything other than "Updating stockpile records" for most of that time, but once he hits legendary and once the records are updated, he won't have to do hardly any record keeping at all for the lifetime of the fortress.  I've heard that if your record keeper dies, your stocks will remain up to date even if you replace him with a completely inexperienced one.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

I have a legendary tanner (strange mood in a leather shop, not a tannery).  While he's fast at tanning skins, it's not particularly useful.

I've got a legendary planter or two.  Might be more useful if my tower wasn't already overfilled with food.

I've got 1 legendary animal trainer, which is strange because I haven't trained all that many war dogs.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>I don't have a legendary weaver, but if I did, it would be sad that much of a weaver's time is spent walking around collecting silk... but anyway... </STRONG>

Set up 3 or 4 looms near the silk and suspend the weave thread into cloth tasks. Then set their profiles to make them not usable by legendaries. Make one loom further away (safe from spider bites) set to only allow legendary and suspend the Collect thread labor.

Your legendary will only weave cloth while the little peons gather the silk thread (until they become legendary).

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>I always have a legendary record keeper.  If you set your bookkeeping accuracy to "All counts accurate" and make sure your record keeper has an office, he can get to legendary within the first two years.  Of course he won't do anything other than "Updating stockpile records" for most of that time, but once he hits legendary and once the records are updated, he won't have to do hardly any record keeping at all for the lifetime of the fortress.  I've heard that if your record keeper dies, your stocks will remain up to date even if you replace him with a completely inexperienced one.</STRONG>

Not a social skill.
I never got why people say it takes so long to get them up to legendary. Maybe a season and mine goes from Novice to Legendary. Going from nothing to Novice in addition cannot take that much longer.

I'm a bit lost on what to do with him now. My Legendary Record Keeper is also my Legendary Miner, Broker, Expedition Leader and soon-to-be Mayor. If I set stocks to All Counts Accurate, all he'll do is stocks. How often should he be doing them now to maximize his time on other endeavors?

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5