Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Most obscure legendary?  (Read 7733 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Most obscure legendary?
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

So I was just curious: what's the most obscure skill anyone's ever raised to legendary in dwarf mode? Everyone has buckets of legendary miners and engravers, and legendary carpenters and masons are common enough to see. But what about the really obscure skills hardly anyone uses? Has anyone ever seen a legendary dyer? Legendary trapper? Potash maker? Cheese maker?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure legendary?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

I once had a legendary dyer. It was a child who decided to get a strange mood, if i remember correctly he made an artifact glove.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

Good grief, how many trees would have to burn and how many animals would have to be slaughtered in order to make a legendary soaper?

Anyway, it's not particularly obscure, but I only ever let one dwarf have the Plant Gathering job. I've trained herbalists from dabbling all the way to legendary. At that point the skill actually becomes a decent source of food; the regular flood schedules will see me with lots of plants growing in the fortress, and my herbalist will harvest almost every one for five of whatever plant. Most of the plants don't get a chance to die and mar my future floor-smoothing plans.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »

I've had a legendary Wood Burner before.

I've also had a dwarf that was a legendary Engineer, Weaponsmith, and Herbalist.

Every once in a while I'll have a dwarf who becomes a legendary Animal Caretaker, and I still have no idea how that skill is used or works.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

I think animal caretaking not only aplys to caged animals but their own.

I had a trapper that was bed ridden with a red leg wound but he was "Satisfied with work" and was getting animal caretaking exp ups and all that was in the room with him was his 3 dogs.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:58:00 am »

Animal caretaker automatically works on any wounded pet a dwarf owns. I'm not sure if it actually helps them heal faster or not, but I do know it does NOT heal red wounds - ever.

This means a nice exploit is if a dwarf gets a pet with a red wound, you can turn animal caretaker on and he will get legendary +5 animal caretaker within a few years, giving him a very nice stats boost.

The downside is if he does not have any other legendary first, it will turn him green and sort him with the trappers instead of whatever he really is. Annoying.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>Good grief, how many trees would have to burn and how many animals would have to be slaughtered in order to make a legendary soaper?</STRONG>

Around 300 each give or take. 300 is the average amount of times a job has to be done before the dwarf hits legendary. It seems like a really long time but as they get more skilled they work faster.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

I have had a fortress with 10 legendary mechanics.  I also managed to produce 3 legendary wood cutters in a single fortress.  Of course that fortress is 40 years old with tightly controlled population.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »

Gem cutting.
There's no way there are 300 natural gems in the fortress, which means that you'll have to make 300 peices of raw green glass before you get a legendary gem cutter... Artifacts almost never give gem cutting either; it's almost exclusively jeweling.  :(
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 08:52:00 pm »

300 natural gems sounds about right actually. I routinely end up with 15-25 of each of the ornamental/semiprecious stones just from carving out my fortress and a moderately large tower cap farm; that's 150-200 right there, with about half of the mountainside still completely untouched (and that's not including precious gems such as emeralds/rubies/etc. which add up to a fair number as well, once you start mining past the magma). Not that I'd ever waste that many natural gems just for training purposes!

If you train your immigrant jewelers as pure gem cutters instead of training jeweling skill, they should go legendary gem cutter from moods once they get their gem cutter skill higher (it's always worked that way for me, anyhow). It's still not that difficult to train up if you're willing to devote enough labor to it; you can create an unlimited amount of green glass, it's just the labor of filling sandbags and hauling them from the river to the magma that sucks.

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:19:00 am »

I once had a legendary butcher, but that was because my fortress had over 100 cats, I routinely slaughtered all the kittens (and yeas, made mittens out of them...). I didn't need any hunters or other sources of meat and every dwarf was happy...

-Matias

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

In my latest fort I got a legendary wood crafter from a mood. He/she was working as a glass maker, but was still at novice.

Anyone know, is it possible to train up the Engineer by assembling and disassembling a couple of siege engines?

[ September 10, 2007: Message edited by: Mlittle ]

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

Sadly, building a siege engine does not train the siege engineer skill, nor does it train building designer or any other skill.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 10:34:00 am »

A limestone throne encircled with bands of felsite resulted in legendary building designer. Every bridge she designs was a masterwork and when one of them got destroyed by a demon...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Veroule:
<STRONG>I have had a fortress with 10 legendary mechanics.  I also managed to produce 3 legendary wood cutters in a single fortress.  Of course that fortress is 40 years old with tightly controlled population.</STRONG>

Haha, my last fort went through mechanics like alcohol. Every time I'd train one up to legendary, some accident would occur and kill or incapacitate them.

However, my current main mechanic is regarded as my 'ultra-dwarf', and is legendary in six different stats.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5