Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clothing Manufacture  (Read 2645 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Clothing Manufacture
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »

Nope, I've got cabinets with more than 5. Most of these look like cases where someone's collecting items of a particular type they like, but I'm looking at one case where a dwarf with no preferences has 7 or 8 items stowed... including a hood, cap, and mitten? That's weird. I'm still thinking that it may just be a case of dwarves usually not bothering/being too busy to stow old clothing. It might be relevant that the dwarf in question is my miller, who's usually as busy as anybody else but has on 2 or 3 ocassions had an extended "vacation" when I've run out of dimple cups, so he might have had extra time to sort out his belongings during those periods (yes, I actually bother with dyeing; I figure if I'm going to go for clothes I might as well go all out.)

In spite of all the much-touted disadvantages of clothing, I cannot help but notice that I really never actually see a clothed dwarf go unhappy from clothing rot (although if they have significant unhappiness from other circumstances, like dead babies, rotted clothes may contribute to pushing them from content to unhappy), but naked dwarves do frequently end up unhappy from their initial clothing rot if they haven't been able to get replacements (such as career military dwarves, or dwarves bedridden with injuries--although if someone is bedridden long enough for all their clothes to rot from mostly fresh to gone, chances are they're not getting better period.) So the decision, to me, seems to be between having clothes and being happy 99.7% of the time, or not having clothes and having every dwarf end up with one probable bout of unhappiness and then being safe 100% of the remaining time.

Keeping clutter down is a viable concern, but if I didn't have dwarves making clothing I'd just have them making other junk instead. I like having lots and lots of productive output even if it's not producing anything especially useful.

[ September 08, 2007: Message edited by: RPB ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Manufacture
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

Hmmm... I had 2 dwarves with 3 cabinets each, and they both filled one up with 5 items, then started filling the others.  Maybe different items take up different amounts of space? maybe they rotate which cabinet they put things in and I just happened to catch them both on 5?

it might be worth making an 8 man capped fort and mass churning out clothes to see what happens. Leave one guy idle with 0 jobs and see if he layers fresh clothes on, and see what all he stuffs his cabinets with. Maybe I'll try that next.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 [2]