Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clothing Manufacture  (Read 2646 times)

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing Manufacture
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

What is a good proportion to produce new clothing in? I will be queuing up a lot of jobs at once, so I just don't want to end up with way to many of one thing and not enough of another. So if I make X dresses should I have X trousers and tunics and 4X shoes and gloves?

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Manufacture
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

I'm not too sure on the specifics.  All I know is my dwarves seem to only use one upper body item (coat, robe, dress, tunic, shirt) and one pair of trousers and a pair of shoes.

Shoes seem to wear down the fastest.  

I don't really see dwarves grabbing gloves/mittens or caps very much.  At least that's what all my shops end up full of.  (Yes, I'm talking about with the economy running.)

It also depends upon what certain nobles like.  Say if one likes dresses then that noble will fill their entire rooms full of all the dresses they can find.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

TBH i just wait 5 years once the pop.cap gets hit (so everyone wants the new stuff) then mass produce cheap, low quality plant fiber robes...
And nothing else, so that they'll eventually cost under 100* and be easy to replace.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

Don't make clothes, ever. seriously. clothing is bugged right now.

Dwarves will only wear a shirt pants and shoes. they will take the shoes off when they get worn leaving them cluttering up your fortress and you can't get rid of them till they rot completely which takes forever.

They will layer pants and shirts on over the old worn ones, but get fairly large sad thoughts from wearing old clothes, and having clothes rot off. The sad thoughts will never go away because they will always have worn cloths on and always have them rot away because they just layer. the penalty for having clothes rot is fairly large, so this is a very bad thing.

However, there is -0- penalty for not wearing clothes. There is supposed to be, but it seems to be disabled because I have never, ever seen a sad thought on a dwarf for not having clothes (even when they are totally naked) and their mood is just fine.

There is an initial period of bad moods when the starting clothes begin to rot off, but you will get that no matter what you do, and after they are gone everything is fine. Be sure to chasm all clothes from dead dwarves, or living ones will put them on and get sad thoughts all over again.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

"was very embarrassed to be uncovered lately"
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

Metal caps are good to make because they provide the high defensive traits of metal armor while at the same time being wearable by civilians. (At least in theory, although if what BurnedToast says is true the Dwarves won't wear them.)

I like to make Dresses because I don't like the idea of having a bunch of naked Dwarves running around, but at the moment any clothing seems pointless as far as metagame logic goes.

EDIT: Actually clothing does provide a very small amount of armoring. I'm not sure if it is worth the unhappiness and clutter that comes with using clothing, though.

[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: Gakidou ]

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

Savok, Toady's said that he deactivated the thoughts for being uncovered (I think he said it was prior to the first public release). They're still inactive at this point.

However, the happiness from acquiring new clothing pretty much cancels out the sadness from having clothes rot off, and it's not like it's very much sadness to begin with anyhow. Yay clothes!

As for the original question, I just set make shirt/R, make trousers/R, make shoes/R for my clothesmaking shops and have no supply problems. Don't bother with gloves because they'll just clog up your clothing stores (although you may want to make a small number of leather gloves if you have soldiers set to leather armor).

[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: RPB ]

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

Gloves should be really useful for cold-weather fortresses, but other features need to go in first.  

I sort of wonder if pig tail cloth is a little bit like cotton, meaning that making a bunch of clothing from it (as opposed to spider silk or rope reed, maybe) in a scorching climate would be really troublesome for the dwarves.  But that would be a nearly useless feature.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>However, the happiness from acquiring new clothing pretty much cancels out the sadness from having clothes rot off, and it's not like it's very much sadness to begin with anyhow. Yay clothes!
[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: RPB ]</STRONG>

According to the wiki, the penalty for rotting clothes is -10 (lower then I thought), tattered clothes is -5 and old clothes is -3. I know I've seen all 3 at once in a dwarf's thoughts, so that's -18 total.

made a satisfying acquisition lately is only +10, so that leaves us at -8.

Not terrible, certainly not as bad as I originally thought, but considering there is no upside to wearing clothes I think I'll take my naked penelty free dwarves and you can keep the worn out shoe clutter.

Note that clothes *MIGHT* help protect against cold on cold/freezing maps but I have weather and temperature turned off otherwise my game slows to a crawl so I can't test it. I'm not sure if this is implemented or not yet though.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:37:00 am »

It looks like everyone had on trousers, a dress, a coat, a cap, shoes, and gloves all at once when they first arrived. They are keeping to that, but they are doing the damn layering thing.

I know that in a game I played a few months ago I saw that they dropped old clothes in their cabinet, but now they just seem to wear them. Ugh.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

They will keep the gloves/hat they start with till it rots off completely, they just won't ever pick up new ones.

They will drop old shoes (and only shoes) in cabinets, but only if they own the room the cabinet is in. Cabinets only hold a limited amount, too, so you might end up needing more then one per dwarf depending on how fast they go through shoes.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

Clothes provide armor. Not necessarily very good armor but they're the only armor that civilians will wear (outside of hunters). Although I just checked and shirts provide ridiculously little protection. Drat! Looks like I'll have to switch to making coats instead; dwarves seem to use them interchangeably.

I seem to end up with a considerable number of trousers in my dwarves' cabinets. I know dwarves will purchase items of clothing that they have a preference for and stick them in their closets (they end up with things in there they clearly never wore, such as (narrow) items from goblin sieges). However I also see a lot of worn trousers in dwarves' cabinets when they clearly have no preferences for trousers or any sort of cloth/leather/silk. This is even true of nobles, so it's not just a matter of leftovers from previous room tenants who happened to be trouser fanciers. In fact, nobles seem to have much larger collections of clothing than most of my mundane dwarves (excluding those who collect odd pieces of clothing for kicks).

I suspect what happens is that they only leave clothing in their cabinets when they reach a limit on layering. Shoes can't be layered at all so they get dumped frequently, trousers can be layered a couple pairs at a time so they only get dumped on the odd ocassions where a dwarf accumulates more trousers than they can wear at once, shirts can be layered up to four or more at a time so they practically never reach a point where they'll store an old shirt. Nobles have infinite money and lots of time on their hands, so they can pick up new clothing more frequently than other dwarves, so they end up with more old clothes in their cabinets.

[ September 08, 2007: Message edited by: RPB ]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 07:51:00 am »

I personally also never make clothes, since they have practically no useful benefit, and have a notable happiness cost. (And more clothing = more items = slower game speed)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

Hmmm.. I've never noticed anything but shoes in a cabinet, ever. You could be right though, when I did make clothes I usually only pounded out enough pairs for everyone to get a new one, not constant production. So maybe if you churn out enough pants that every dwarf can have 7(?) brand new pairs AND give every dwarf 20 cabinets you can do away with the sad penalty and the clothes clutter? heh. I don't know.

Maybe I'll start mass producing pants before I too deep my current fort and see if I can get any of them to go in cabinets.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

It seems I was wrong, I checked a bunch of cabinets and found not only shoes (lots and lots of shoes..) but gloves, shirts, and even 2 pairs of pants!

My new theory is that cabinets only hold 5 items, so they get filled up real fast and since shoes wear out the fastest you usually only see shoes in them.

I suspect RPB is correct and they only remove the nasty old clothes once they reach the max layers of the good new ones. Might be worth testing just churning out MASS quantities of pants or something to see if eventually they are wearing 4 (or whatever) layers of brand new pants.

Still seems easier to just let them run around nude, but it's good to know if the penelty ever gets put back in.

Pages: [1] 2