Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Conspiracy theories and the failure of reason  (Read 12361 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Conspiracy theories and the failure of reason
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2015, 11:54:02 am »

Most likely referring to the following sections of the passages you linked:

AIDS probably was a manufactured disease.

I believe AIDS is a disease which has been created in the laboratory and I think that one purpose it serves is to get rid of people who are so stupid as to go along with our homosexual program.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2015, 12:05:43 pm »

I laughed out loud at one of the predictions being "MUSIC WILL GET WORSE." I knew Nickelback couldn't get famous without help from the World Government.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:58 pm »

I laughed out loud at one of the predictions being "MUSIC WILL GET WORSE." I knew Nickelback couldn't get famous without help from the World Government.

Blame Canada for Nickelback.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2015, 12:51:57 pm »

Also while some of the things are plausible (the music one) many of these are either barnum statements (again, like the music prediction), and/or arbitrary subjective/non-objective value judgements (the music example fits here again)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2015, 12:54:02 pm »

Most likely referring to the following sections of the passages you linked:

AIDS probably was a manufactured disease.

I believe AIDS is a disease which has been created in the laboratory and I think that one purpose it serves is to get rid of people who are so stupid as to go along with our homosexual program.

Thats tape 3.
The homosexual part where he says "people who are so stupid as to go along with our homosexual program" he is talking about how the insider saw the homosexuals, based on this insider (and his group) eugenistic views and their views about homosexuality.
The part where he said that aids was problably used as a eugenistic tool, is something that (with all the info he has) he asumed that was made/is being made and not something the insider actually told him they were going to do.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2015, 01:03:33 pm »

I thought AIDS, along with cocaine, were created by the CIA to kill blacks.  It's hard to keep all of these conspiracies straight.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2015, 01:06:28 pm »

The CIA is flexible, they made AIDS to kill the blacks but then they decided that teh gays were an even bigger threat.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2015, 01:34:22 pm »

Also while some of the things are plausible (the music one) many of these are either barnum statements (again, like the music prediction), and/or arbitrary subjective/non-objective value judgements (the music example fits here again)

Additionally, many of the things are things which could so easily happen on their own that their occurrence would provide no meaningful confirmation
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »

Just saw an article (someone linked to it on the laughable things thread) about a theory about the pyramids that's even stupider than ancoent aliens or pyramid power

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-pyramids
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:12:52 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2015, 05:56:21 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody posted https://xkcd.com/690/ already, unless I missed it...

(But while I'm quoting XKCD, there's also https://xkcd.com/258/ on one side of the discussion and https://xkcd.com/966/ on another...  Remember to check the hover-texts for extra bonuses...)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »

so this video for some reason popped up in my recommends and i posted about it in another thread. who knows why. see how long you can go before your brain melts from the shear stupidity or you cant take it anymore. always fun refuting conspiracy claims with highschool physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5i_iDyUTCg

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2015, 06:34:50 pm »

so this video for some reason popped up in my recommends and i posted about it in another thread. who knows why. see how long you can go before your brain melts from the shear stupidity or you cant take it anymore. always fun refuting conspiracy claims with highschool physics.

But... down is towards the centre of the Earth, so rivers don't have to go up to follow the globe. As far as I can tell that makes up the majority of his stuff (things on a level don't go up or downhill).

EDIT: And also the lack of understanding of the atmosphere is painful. Everything is moving with the Earth, things in the air don't suddenly lose all their momentum relative to the planet. That would be silly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:42:21 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »

But... down is towards the centre of the Earth, so rivers don't have to go up to follow the globe. As far as I can tell that makes up the majority of his stuff (things on a level don't go up or downhill).

EDIT: And also the lack of understanding of the atmosphere is painful. Everything is moving with the Earth, things in the air don't suddenly lose all their momentum relative to the planet. That would be silly.
but if you dismiss physics as part of the conspiracy than it makes perfect sense!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2015, 07:02:52 pm »

but if you dismiss physics as part of the conspiracy than it makes perfect sense!
Quote from: comments
he strongly believes gravity doesn't exist in the first place
but... how?
And apparently he will only accept evidence that he himself can perform and measure with things he has on hand. Which puts a lot of limits on things unless he happens to have a physics lab in his shed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2015, 09:16:05 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody posted https://xkcd.com/690/ already, unless I missed it...

(But while I'm quoting XKCD, there's also https://xkcd.com/258/ on one side of the discussion and https://xkcd.com/966/ on another...  Remember to check the hover-texts for extra bonuses...)

Perhaps more importantly, anybody who perceived the twin towers as having melted needs to lay off the LSD
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9