Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Conspiracy theories and the failure of reason  (Read 12368 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy theories and the failure of reason
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2015, 04:09:16 pm »

October revolution was made by jews to remove Russia from christianity
Catholic church is devils scheme made for making christians to abolish true byzantine christianity
Nikon was antichrist and performed his reforms in church to lead people away from true christianity
Peter the great was secretly replaced by german child tasked  to kill orthodox church and make people shave their faces, so they lose the love of god
Peter the third did not die actually.
Gorbachev was undercover CIA agent.
Hitler was british project for ruining soviet union.
Chernobyl nuclear plant was broken by CIA.
Plan of Dallas.
Sad thing is, I can't tell if you're being serious.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

Serious, I think, insofar as that they exist.  I know more than a couple of those are actual conspiracy theories - the October Revolution, Nikon, and Chernobyl at least.  The Hitler one doesn't surprise me; the Peter III surviving provided a convenient lightning rod for many people with grievances against his German successor; and the Catholic Church being a devil's scheme is similar to one that I saw more often directed against the Council of Florence and the Patriarchs and Emperor who accepted it (the former of whom coincidentally died not two days later) in particular, and thus could see coming into existence as a more generalized version of the same.  I'm not sure if the Uniate churches ever got that degree of conspiracy-mongering against them, however; I think opposition to the Uniates tended to be an official matter of state and faith in those nations where such existed. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:20:21 pm by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2015, 09:07:17 pm »

Peter the third did not die actually.

Does this mean they've been hiding the secret of longevity?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2015, 09:50:24 pm »

--snip--
Yes but a thing being illegal renders questions about it risky and not worth discussing for fear of consequences.
Have you been  to a discussion about the legalization of cannabis?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2015, 05:00:25 am »

Sad thing is, I can't tell if you're being serious.

Just wanted to add some more conspiracy theories to this thread.
Also forgot the story about Dmitry of Uglich not killing himself accidently, when he played with knifes
Romanov dynasty inventing history about mongol invasion, which did not happen.
Rurik does not exist. German historians invented  Rurik to show, that civilization came to Russia from the west.
Plot against Pavel the first was made up by british to prevent him from sending cossacks to liberate India from british
Frunze was murdered by doctors.
Doctors plot -  doctors conspiring to asassinate soviet leaders

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2015, 05:50:56 am »

How have you not mentioned Steven Christ yet? He's a top-tier conspiracy theorist, since not only does he modify his claims to the point where they are near-unfalsifiable, but also believes himself to be the messiah.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »

--snip--
Yes but a thing being illegal renders questions about it risky and not worth discussing for fear of consequences.
Have you been  to a discussion about the legalization of cannabis?
I've been to one against it

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »

How have you not mentioned Steven Christ yet? He's a top-tier conspiracy theorist, since not only does he modify his claims to the point where they are near-unfalsifiable, but also believes himself to be the messiah.
Must... resist... Life of Brian references...!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2015, 12:44:16 am »

I've seen several mentions of chemtrails but no mention of chemtrails' aquatic cousin water supply flouridation mind-control
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2015, 01:08:52 am »

That's an alternative history forum...

Quote from: front page
The Balkan League wikia is about all the historical events that have NEVER happened
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2015, 08:55:11 am »

Most of the conspiracy nonsense I've heard recently was from a couple of people who have this odd belief that Obama is going to break out his secret police soon and establish himself as emperor of the United States.  There is a ton of religious overtones to his ramblings in real life, but I'm leaving that out for the sake of the thread.

The closest he gets to evidence for this stuff is making claims of things that you can literally Google up refutations to:

Obama is secretly converting Walmart stores in the Midwest to be concentration camps for dissenters in the new world order - This one supposedly has been around since the Bush administration
The government has also purchased 30,000 guillotines to deal with the people there in an orderly manner - I guess if you're going to murder millions of dissenters you should line them up and do it in a flashy way instead of just shooting them or something

I swear, I'll be so happy when Obama is out of office specifically so I won't hear people claim he's imminently going to defy the constitution and declare himself as the permanent ruler here.  Of course, the claims will immediately shift to whoever is the president if the Democrats win.  If the Republicans win then I strongly suspect these people will go oddly silent.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2015, 12:16:33 pm »

Don't forget the conspiracy theory that Obama is a deep-cover islamofascist al-qaeda/isis agent who's in this country illegally
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2015, 03:01:25 pm »

I found this delightful page while browsing the Steam forums for EU4. They're claiming that there was a cover-up to erase an entire country from history. It's hilarious.
What about the [COGNITOHAZARD EXPUNGED]?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2015, 06:42:48 pm »

Most of the conspiracy nonsense I've heard recently was from a couple of people who have this odd belief that Obama is going to break out his secret police soon and establish himself as emperor of the United States.  There is a ton of religious overtones to his ramblings in real life

I swear, I'll be so happy when Obama is out of office specifically so I won't hear people claim he's imminently going to defy the constitution and declare himself as the permanent ruler here.

That's a fairly old one. I remember reading about it back in the early 90s on dialup BBSs.

The details are fuzzy, but the way I remember it, the first US black president would be the last president ever, because he'd invoke  Rex 84 at the end of his term, declare martial law and refuse to step down. This was supposed to happen in the same timeframe as the 112th Pope, who would be the very last Pope before the end times. Also, something about a fake alien invasion of Earth, staged by the military industrial complex to trick people into falling in line for the new world order.

The black president thing I think is inspired by this book published in 1926 about a black president with some hit & miss similarities
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9