Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What color is your Slime?

Stock Slime Green
- 6 (50%)
Purple, like the pure will of the players.
- 6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Slime Time - The Lair - Halloween update  (Read 3971 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Slime Time - The Lair - Halloween update
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:42:58 pm »

Slime Time

The Setting
The age of man has come to an end.

230,000,000 years ago the human race destroyed the world in nuclear fire. The force of the war tore apart the world. The atmosphere was blown off into space, the oceans first overflowed and then boiled away leaving vast plains of barren earth. The great tectonic plates split and swallowed the remnants of city's deep below the earth. The earth itself bled from the wounds of the bombs, and its blood burned the surface and scorched the sky. The once vibrant life of the world grew still. The land lay silent under the shadow of great clouds of irradiated ash. What water was left upon the surface was toxic and useless. The great gods of the universe looked upon the wreckage and sighed, for it seemed no life remained upon the once promising planet. They turned away, never again to look upon the husk, the sad reminder of their failed efforts. Even the gods were wrong.
Deep within the earth, life remained. Small creatures eaked out an existence far from the light of stars, and bacteria swarmed in the depths. With the massive radiation life evolved quickly to its new home. Short and painful lifespans were the norm, and soon truly alien creatures roamed the the wastes of what was once such a friendly planet. Most looked as nothing ever seen before.
But even life can only overcome so much. Most of the world remained to irradiated, to inhospitable for any adaptation to overcome. Only small pockets of life flourish on the surface, and most of what lives crawls in the deep.

Rules
1. I am the all powerful GM. What I say goes, and I may say anything. Don't complain, I have a method weather or not you choose to believe me and I wont do anything unfair to you unless sanctioned by RNGesus.

2. I roll for some things, and sometimes i pull stuff out of my ass. If I roll for something, I will be consistent and roll for similar things later on. I will not always let you know when I roll for stuff. In fact, I mostly wont let you know.

3.The larger you get, the more food you consume.

4. If you run out if food, you begin to digest yourself. When there is not more you to digest, you are dead.

5.When you die, the game is over. (I am not afraid to kill you. I will not keep you alive just because i want to keep playing. If you do stupid things, I will hold you to the consequences.)

6.Your Goal is to survive, grow, reproduce, consume the universe until it's just one massive slime. You know, the usual.

7.I may or may not have a personal vendetta against the players. Don't ask.

8.I go with the majority action. If things are unclear, I may put up a poll.

9.I may add more rules here later, if the game requires such. Ill try to let you know with a new post if i make changes here.

Evolution
It's fairly easy for you to induce evolution in your self. You can separate a bit of slime and expose it to some radiation to create mutations. If the mutations are not the ones desired, you can always just digest the bit of slime you exposed. You can keep doing this until you have the mutations that you desire, and then you let those propagate through the rest of the slime. Forced evolution, easy peasy. Sometimes this results in traits you didn't intend to evolve. You can always digest them, or you can accept them. This requires radioactive material to do, and that's your only food source at the start. I would suggest waiting to evolve.

I model this process by choosing a number (dependent on how complex the mutation is) Let's call this number X. I then choose a second number smaller than X. I start rolling a dX and keep rolling until i land on the second number, and i subtract a bit of radioactive material each roll. So a relatively simple mutation may just be an X=3. Then i choose a number, say 2, and i roll until i hit 2. Each roll you loose some of your radioactive material. Unintended mutations are modeled by a different process on the side.

Starting Situation
You are a small slime. You survive by breaking down radioactive particles, turning the greatest hazard of this world to your benefit. You have lived for countless millennium at the end of a pipe. Its a rather nice pipe. Your not entirely sure what its made of, but its never rusted or degraded for all the time you've been here. It used to bring a small but steady drip of radioactive fluid to you, about a drop every ten years or so, but lately that seems to have stopped. If you want to survive, you must venture out into the remnants of the world.

State of the slime
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Abilities/attributes
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:27:13 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time - The end of the world
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:48:16 pm »

Leave the pipe and head towards nearest water source we can find.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:53:01 pm »

Ehhh, may as well stick to the rails for now, climb up the pipe, "seek out the source"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »

I would also like for us to go up the pipe.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:21:43 pm »

>Leave pipe

>Travel in whatever direction is easiest (as in down hill)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:15:34 pm »

Slime time - Adventures in pipes
You begin to wriggle your way up the pipe. It seems to be at a slight incline, not enough to make it difficult to climb though. You encounter a few drops of rad fluid on the way. Compared to your one drop a decade diet, this is a feast. (+3 drops rad fluid.) Eventually you come to blockage of some sorts, presumably what had blocked the pipe to begin with. It's mostly dirt, with odd specs of glowing blue substance intermixed. Unable to continue forward, You find a suitably large crack in the pipe. It seems to open into a small cavern of some sort, with bits of oddly glowing blue material covering the walls and ceiling, but not the ground. The pipe you are in runs along the bottom of the cavern at one side, and the cavern seems to continue in the direction of the pipe. A small rodent like skeleton seems to be fused into the wall across from you. It's bones are perfectly white and clean. They almost appear slick, like they are coated in polish. Your psychic powers seem to have become marginally stronger, and you can now move small particles around at a small distance.

*growth of psychic powers uses a system I will not reveal to you.

*When you collect food, you just hold onto it initially. You can choose to consume a set amount all at once to grow to the next size. Currently, growing to your next size will cost 2 rad drops, and at your next size you will passively consume 1 drop every 3 posts.

*sometimes, growing to the next size will reveal new abilities/attributes to you.

State of the slime

Abilities/attributes

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:21:23 pm »

Search the cavern for anymore rad sources.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:27:14 pm »

Try to eat the blue stuff.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time - The Fuzzy Menace
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »

Slime Time - The fuzzy Menace

Your first instinct is to search for more radiation sources in the cavern. The cave itself seems fairly barren, but you can feel a strong source of rads from further in the pipe, just on the other side of the blockage. Unfortunately, there are no other cracks in the pipe in sight. The pipe does continue out of site though, so there may be another way in?
Turning back to the situation at hand, you begin to examine the curious blue specks in the wall. You crawl up onto the pipe to get a better look at one. It doesn't feel innately radioactive... but maybe you could eat it anyways? Besides... It's so pretty and blue... just one nibble, its only a tiny speck after all. You squeeze up next to the speck to begin trying to digest the bit. It's fuzzy, like a moss or something. You try to pull back to look at it again but with a start you realize you can't! It seems to be holding you! In a panic, you suddenly realize it's not a tiny speck at all, but a small mat of moss with one glowing spec in the center, and now the moss is digesting you! The blue glow begins to spread out ward and the whole mat is now glowing. You can feel it sucking cytoplasm out of you. With a yelp, you split yourself in two. The larger half falling back over the pipe. The blue moss quickly absorbs the rest of you that's still stuck to it. Well... shit. That went poorly. You might have been able to digest it if it hadn't been bigger than you.
It seems like the moss took a bit of your rad goo while it was digesting you. Ha! take that moss! you might have eaten half my body, but now your gonna have CANCER! Horrible, moss cancer! Yea!  (you rolled a 1 on a D10...)
 ...the thought makes you feel slightly better.
On the bright side, it seems like you learned how to make sound. You can use your psychic powers to make vibrations in the air, but it's really quiet right now, and kinda squeaky. Maybe when your psychic powers get stronger you will have more control over it?
The blue light from the moss seems to pulse... like it's laughing at you.

*you are now the size of a grape (upkeep is one drop every 10 turns, growth cost 1 rad drop)

Spoiler: State of the Slime (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abilities/attributes (click to show/hide)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »

go back to bl0ckage and see if you can fit through it now
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »

If at first you don't succeed, try vibrating it a bit to loosen it...
Or perhaps you can squeeze in a little, and then consume a rad to expand while partially lodged in the blockage.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Slime Time - Welcome to Bright Hills!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »

Slime Time - Welcome to Bright Hills!

Shaken by your experience with the moss you return to the relative safety of the pipe. Your are more determined than ever now to make it through now that you know what lays on the other side, and knowing the alternative is to be stuck in the cavern.
You begin to reach out with your senses, probing the composition of the blockage. It seems to be mostly loose dirt, unlike the solid rock of the cavern. You begin to dig into it, moving one particle at a time. You take special care to keep the blue specks away from as you work, though these are not connected to any moss. You idly wonder if you might be able to digest these before they could kill you. Well... now would probably not be the best time to test that thought. Just as it seems you are starting to make progress, the blockage shifts and more dirt falls into the cavity you have been carefully constructing.
You are not a slime to be easily discouraged though. You begin again, this time keeping careful watch on the stability of the earth. After 2 more failed attempts you have reasoned out about how deep of a depression you can make before it collapses. Now it's time for the risky part. You very delicately wriggle your way into the hole and prepare to consume a rad. A thought strike you just before you commit. As is, you would just grow out into the open space you just came from. For this to work, you need to be able to exert pressure against the sides of the earth. You hold your nonexistent breath and trigger a cave in from the blockage. The dirt falls around you, and by some miracle you are not crushed to death. You are now fully encased in earth in the center of the blockage.
Now for the moment of truth. You begin to consume a rad, and you can feel yourself growing. Pressure is an odd sensation to a slime, and at first it seems like you are only becoming denser. Suddenly though, the dirt is pushed outward on either side on you and you fall out on the other side into a small puddle of irradiated fluid. ( + 12 rads) The pressure on the dirt seems to have stabilized the tunnel to, and there is now a neat little passage through the center of the blockage.
You continue up the pipe now with renewed hope, things are looking good for you today!

You follow the pipe for another few hours, until the metal starts to feel cold. Occasionally other pipes now branch off from the one you are in. You continue straight ahead for now. Best not to get lost. An odd skittering sound seems to echo through the pipes now and again. Did something just dart across the junction ahead of you? You begin to get the feeling that you had better get out of these pipes fast...
Your pipe eventually comes to a sudden bend straight down, but preoccupied as you are you don't notice until you are already falling.
The tiny slime falls out of the spigot with an faint "plop". You appear to be in a sink. You crawl up the edge and survey the room you are in. A sign on the wall reads "Bright Hills station, providing power to all of the Bright Hills area!" The words are surrounded by pictures of strange creatures who seem to be baring their teeth at you. They look terrifying.
 Clearly they are marking their territory with this sign. You should tread carefully.
The door to the room is open and leads out into a small hallway with another open door at the end. It is lined with several closed doors on the sides. The room itself contains the sink you are on, a broken porcelain structure in the corner which is leaking a viscous black fluid, and a vent at the top of the room. You think you could also climb back into the spigot if you really tried.

*You are once more the size of a walnut, growth costs 2 rads.
*during your experiment with the blockage you learned a little bit about controlling your density and size without changing your mass. More knowledge on this subject is necessary before you can apply it to anything.

Spoiler: State of the Slime (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abilities/attributes (click to show/hide)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »

examine black stuff
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »

Well, i foolishly feel like we have a fortune enough of rads that we can afford to waste one. Spend one rad on a mutation experiment!
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3