Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping military...  (Read 1481 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping military...
« on: September 07, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

Ok, people, let me know if I am getting this straight:

AFAIK there is no way of forcing military dwarves to get the best equipment in the fort, they just grab the nearest one. So, I must go to the military screen (M), set all dwarves to "weapons unarmed", "shield none" and "armor none", wait until they strip naked, chasm/melt all low quality shields/armor/weapons in the fort, and only THEN you can set the weapons/armor/shield preferences?

I am so bored with seeing my elite champion wearing iron while my new steel greaves catches dust! Incidentally, the naked dwarves practiced in competent wrestlers in no time... Naked Greek-styled wrestling practice?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping military...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 06:16:00 am »

The other way is to make them drop their stuff and then station them in a locked room with just steel and reequip, a little less work but still annoying.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

Yeah make an equipping room with stockpiles that can only hold what you want. My soldiers normally use iron shields, iron chainmail, and steel helm/gloves/boots/plate, with obsidian short swords.

So I have 3 stockpiles. One that can only hold iron, only allowing shields and chainmail, one that can only hold steel, allowing helms/gloves/boots/plate, and then one weapon pile that only accepts local obsidian items.

Disallow this combination of things from all other weapon/armor stockpiles, and everything should get transferred into your new equipping room. Then strip a small squad (I use squads of 3), tell them to all go in there, lock the door. Set them to chainmail first, watch them equip, then set them to plate. They will layer the chainmail/platemail in this fashion. If you just go straight to plate, they wont wear the chainmail under the platemail.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

Yeah sadly they are picking up the nearst stuff basically, regardless of item quality. This must be improved, because currently this is very annoying. We should be able to equip the dwarves with whatever we want. All items should be listed on the equipment panel, what are available. [Everything from the crappiest to the best in quality.]

JadeFalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

Yes it would be cool if the military screen had a min/max setting you could adjust to armour level and another for material.

Kinda like how the shops can min/max the level of dwarf that uses it.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

It should be relatively easy - just do a filter screen like is done for cooking/brewing or animal slaughtering.

Have a list screen showing the armor/weapons available and then let us mark what is allowed for use just like we do for what to cook/brew and pets.