Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)  (Read 10787 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 10:21:44 pm »

Better safe than sorry, Johnson.

((I'm not sure how much of a bastard GM Dwarmin is yet :P))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »

((Tsk, tsk, that is metagaming Hector. And "reality" is above your clearance level. Please report to the nearest Termination booth, citizen. Have a nice daycycle!))

"It jus' isn't practical. You're foraging right now, somethin' we need to get done to live. If she was attacked by a single Rotter, she can handle herself. If she was attacked by more, we would notice. I didn't see any signs of Rotters around here, so she is safe. We aren't children, you know, you have to count on everyone being able to live without old Doc holding their hand."

Holiday looks down at his old bandanna, briefly pausing in speaking but not berry picking.

"...You see, Doc, it's about trust. Its the same thing with the scouts earlier. I trust Harriet and 273 to scout ahead without getting eaten. I trust us to gather food that won't get everyone killed. And I trust Ebony to be able to survive for half an hour without needing the rest of the group to protect her. A group without trust is worse then having no group at all."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 10:48:01 pm »

Gianna continues picking berries, but starts to back away from the argument.
"Umm, it was my idea, not Doc's. Also, if he wants to go, it's his decision, I guess."
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 11:06:39 pm »

Gianna continues picking berries, but starts to back away from the argument.
"Umm, it was my idea, not Doc's. Also, if he wants to go, it's his decision, I guess."

"Your idea was to have someone check-up on her. His idea was to pull out a gun and run around the forest like he is having a war flashback. Like I said, a little over-dramatic. I'm not exactly moving to stop him, it is his decision. Doesn't mean I won't kvetch about it."

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:01 pm »

Gianna then shrugs, holding one of the branches in her hand.
"I know you're probs, pretty upset and all that, but really, then take action first, don't just bitch about it."
Ain't nobody got time for that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 07:46:25 am »

((Tsk, tsk, that is metagaming Hector. And "reality" is above your clearance level. Please report to the nearest Termination booth, citizen. Have a nice daycycle!))

(('tis, but I shall rationalise it as going off on my own for a bit. Being prepared for defensive violence is always useful when things may eat meh or kill me for my stuff :o))

"It jus' isn't practical. You're foraging right now, somethin' we need to get done to live. If she was attacked by a single Rotter, she can handle herself. If she was attacked by more, we would notice. I didn't see any signs of Rotters around here, so she is safe. We aren't children, you know, you have to count on everyone being able to live without old Doc holding their hand."

Holiday looks down at his old bandanna, briefly pausing in speaking but not berry picking.

"...You see, Doc, it's about trust. Its the same thing with the scouts earlier. I trust Harriet and 273 to scout ahead without getting eaten. I trust us to gather food that won't get everyone killed. And I trust Ebony to be able to survive for half an hour without needing the rest of the group to protect her. A group without trust is worse then having no group at all."

Of course, of course... but we were not exactly on alert while we were entering the forest. We may have missed something and Ebony may be in trouble, requiring our aid. Doc shrugs I know we can all handle ourselves individually, but that does not mean we should assume every situation will be handled flawlessly without the others. We are only human, after all. Being prepared is one step toward staying alive.

Doc continues back to the sign, mimicking James Bond sneaking into an enemy facility all the way.

((if only we had a cardboard box...))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 12:18:01 pm »

Gianna then shrugs, holding one of the branches in her hand.
"I know you're probs, pretty upset and all that, but really, then take action first, don't just bitch about it."

"...I donno what you are tryin' to say there. Can't understand a word kids these days say...."

Of course, of course... but we were not exactly on alert while we were entering the forest. We may have missed something and Ebony may be in trouble, requiring our aid. Doc shrugs I know we can all handle ourselves individually, but that does not mean we should assume every situation will be handled flawlessly without the others. We are only human, after all. Being prepared is one step toward staying alive.

"We were lookin' out for food, we woulda noticed random piles of humanish guts lying around. Maybe we can't handle every situation alone, and I am not saying we will never need a hand....But Doc, the situation is just her being separated from the group for half-an-hour. She can handle standing in one place alone flawlessly without assistance."

Holiday sighs, continuing to pick berries. I'm still not used to dealing with people this long again. Its a lot different from doing it on my own...In good and bad ways.

"Well if your going to get going you should get going with the going. If she is in danger every second you waste shooting the breeze with me is one second she could die in. And if I am right and she is not, its a second you could be doin' something more practical in."

/Doc probably already left  :P.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2015, 01:32:56 pm »

(Posting so I dont miss anything)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »

Jason just keeps his head down, gathering berries and listening. Nobody is getting really heated, so he keeps his peace.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 10:27:14 am »

273 leads towards the drive through area. As he does so he turns his head to talk with his Companion.
"So, do you have any real reason to travel with everyone else? For example, I'm following along to get to Gilroy."

273 leads the way, his pipe a comfortable weight in his hands.

The rear of the building has a small loading area with a battered green dumpster to one side, and bright red ladder leading up the roof. A corrugated metal shutter leads into the building proper, currently closed.

Tick tick tick

Unfortunately, tobacco had not been a urgent requirement to grow in the few attempts at farming she'd seen on her wanderings down towards the coast. Still, quitting (even if it was involuntary) had been good for her, right? Ha. As if it'd matter long term...

At that cheery thought, she grimaced. All the others had gone, but she was sure she could find something. Or them, at least. Either way, she'd find something.

Still, it was a nice day, really, and that made her smile. She'd whistle a tune, but that'd alert her prey! If she found prey. She was pretty sure she remembered how to make a snare from that youtube video.

Like the others, go hunting for something obviously edible and not poisonous - or try and meet up with the others. Or both.
Animals live in the forest, right? Maybe she can catch a rabbit.

React (+2)
1!+2=3

Enemy gets a +1 against Ebony in the next combat round!

~

Ebony is greatly distracted by the thoughts of fresh meat, tobacco, and youtube. All the things she'll never have again. So much she is completely taken surprise when four people step out of the brush, levering crossbows and longbows with arrows drawn. Each of them wearing camo gear, and a sort of...net made of leaves and grass over them...like something you would expect soldiers to wear when sneaking into enemy territory, back when there was soldiers. No wonder she didn't see them. They were dressed like shrubs. This might be funny in some situations, but certainly not here.

The leader speaks to Ebony in a gravelly voice.

"...Put that pigcutter down, Lady. Lay it on the ground nice and easy. Then you'll come with us. Got it?" He says, motioning to her Katana. His bowstring vibrates with barely restrained tension.

Rad the Situation (+2)
4!+2=6

Ebony is too shocked by their sudden appearance to figure anything out about them, except they are a mix of men and women with pointy weapons aimed at her groin. She notes the strangers encircle her on all four sides in an uneven square...she knows enough about positioning to know they are clearing firing lines, so they can shoot her without harming the person across from them.

What to do, what to do...

Ebony is still thinking, when she hears a muffled thump somewhere in the distance. The Leader makes no visible reaction, but seems to nod to one of his people.

"...Go check it out."

The person nods back, and slips into the forest-vanishing like a ghost. Then his attention turns back to Ebony.

"We're just going to leave a message for your people. They need to know to leave us alone. It doesn't have to be your body, but it can be. So make your choice. No stalling..." He says, his tones relentless and merciless.

At least they only outnumber you a paltry three to one now. Good odds for any Greek!

Head back to the sign, slow and quiet, and look for Ebony, revolver at the ready but pointing to the ground, just in case.

Read the Situation (+2)
1!+3=4

Enemy gets a +1 against Doc in the next combat round!

Doc, feeling panicked, moves a bit quicker than is advisable. In retrospect, he knew he wasn't cut out for running in the woods like this...he's a Doctor, not a Forest Ranger! His clumsy foot catches a tree branch, and he falls face first into the dirt.

That's when he sees the shrub moving toward him.

An exceedingly odd thing, surely. It looks more like a mound of brush than a person...something clicks in his mind. Of course, camouflage is meant to break up the silhouette of a person-the set of their shoulders, the arch of the neck, the details of the body...

The shrub is wielding a crossbow in it's...her...hands. He thinks it's a woman.

React under pressure (+1)
3!+1=4

Her foot lashes out, kicking his revolver out of his hand, sailing into the nearby trees. She quickly aims her bow at Doc's face.

"...You! You...j-j-ust surrender!" She barks.

Read the Situation (+2)
10!+2=12

Success!

Doc realizes the moment he hears her voice crack, that behind her weapon and fearsome warrior dress, she's actually quite young. Maybe even younger than Gianna. There is a minute tremble in her voice that betrays her youth. Her dark blue eyes, shaded in dark paints, are sick with fear. Her hands aren't shaking, though-they're as steady as a Surgeons, an apt term, since he is one. He thinks she may not have killed anyone before...but, she's been trained to.

Gianna hears Doc's laying out of the choices, and instantly gets to work harvesting and packing the choke berries.
Jason helps gather the chokeberries.
Help Gianna harvest them for everyone, taking some effort to avoid the ants and the bees and the brambles. Holding branches out of the way for the others, waving the bees away, that kind of thing.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team happily picks and packs chokeberries, occasionally snacking on one, chatting with one another. It's nice to be among friends, doing something that's not dangerous or morally conflicting.

This is a job that will occupy them, for at least a short time...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:29:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 10:44:01 am »

273 looks around confused. He shrugs to himself and starts to head up the ladder.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 11:21:39 am »

((*Stirk shakes head sadly* See what happens when you don't listen to Holiday? Everyone who did is safe. Everyone who didn't has pointy things pointed at their face. Why didn't they stick to the plan? Whyyyyyy!?))

"Maybe we should plant the seeds along the roadside? Like a modern day Johnny Appleseed. Might be nice to keep some in case we find a place to hold up in for a while, but if that don't happen just throwing them along the roadside might make food for later."

Continue harvesting the berries.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »

"Whoa, there, Mr Tree. No need to make me a porcupine impression, OK?"

She gently placed her katana down before raising her hands and leading at Commander Shrub.

"No need for anything like this... Didn't even know you were here. If you want us gone, no problem - just let me go and I'll go tell them." she purred, persuasive as possible.

persuade, remember Goth chick bonus
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:25 pm »

Manipulate (+3)
2!+3=5

The figure doesn't seem very moved, for some reason.

One of his compadres steps closer to you, and picks up the dropped sword with a quick movement, sheathing it across his own back. **interruption action possible here**

"...Sorry, lady, that's not the plan." He replies cooly, seeming more confident you are unarmed. "You'll be returned to them later, once the Raja is satisfied they paid the proper...respect."

Ebony assumes by 'respect', they mean what amounts to a food or material bribe.

Survivor Tutorial: Diplomacy is generally binary-either someone is willing to listen to you, or not. Getting someone to listen to you when they would rather not is called 'Leverage'. The strength of your negotiation position should always be considered-what do you have, that they want? Appeals to emotion will work on some people, however, and any group will always weigh your reputation with them, if any, when making deals. In this case, Ebony is against too many obstacles to talk her way through-she is alone, outnumbered, disarmed and her enemies are coordinated, trained, and acting under orders from a presumably commanding authority. A successful roll would have allowed her to improve her future relations with this group, however.

"Now hold still-we're going to cuff you, and see what our friend found...probably one of your other friends. And, then we'll all head back home. Nobody has to get hurt. You cool?" He says.

His third friend, taller than the rest, moves behind your back, and you hear the metal clatter of a pair of handcuffs being uncoiled.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2015, 02:19:05 pm »

"...You! You...j-j-ust surrender!" She barks.

Read the Situation (+2)
10!+2=12

Success!

Doc realizes the moment he hears her voice crack, that behind her weapon and fearsome warrior dress, she's actually quite young. Maybe even younger than Gianna. There is a minute tremble in her voice that betrays her youth. Her dark blue eyes, shaded in dark paints, are sick with fear. Her hands aren't shaking, though-they're as steady as a Surgeons, an apt term, since he is one. He thinks she may not have killed anyone before...but, she's been trained to.

((I assume I'm still on my face here...))

Doc rolls over slowly onto his back, eliciting a short but very loud cry of pain.

Ahhhhhshit... okay, okay, I surrender. Not that I could... do anything anyway. I think... I think I twisted my ankle on that stupid branch... if you need me to move I'll... have to at least bandage it. Have some in my 'pack... Doc taps the strap of his backpack.

While he's groaning on the ground, glance surreptitiously in the direction his gun flew off in, see if it's nearby.

((*Stirk shakes head sadly* See what happens when you don't listen to Holiday? Everyone who did is safe. Everyone who didn't has pointy things pointed at their face. Why didn't they stick to the plan? Whyyyyyy!?))

((>:( quiet you. I'd like to point out that we all might have been captured had I not white-knighted it and gone off solo :P))

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8