Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)  (Read 10772 times)

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
Re: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:22 pm »

Gianna decides to ask a question.
"So, are we just gonna stand here?"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:12:30 pm by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »

"Uh... ok?" Harriet says, following 273.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:11:46 pm »

((OH, holylol, whoops.))

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »

Jason waves at the scouts. "Careful." he says, somewhat unnecessarily.

Then, turning back to Doc and Holiday, he gestures around the woods. "Guess we'll go foraging while they check out the town?"

Jason forages in the woods as per Holiday's suggestion, looking for edibles; fruit, vegetables, dandelions if it comes to it, convenient kindling, etc.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 09:29:58 pm »

Gianna then sets off after Jason, to try and help forage for food.
"Wait for me, Jason! Wait!"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »

((...Doc and Holiday...One letter off  :P))

Holiday nodded, starting to walk toward the nearest alder tree himself. He looks over it, searching for edible catkins. Wandering alone gets you good with finding food. At least one good thing about the wilderness retaking the land. They don't taste great, but keep you alive. The wood is supposed to be great for smoking fish, we might get a chance to try it out soon if we are lucky.

"Come on, Doc. We will be able to search faster in two man teams. Can't let the young ones have all the fun, can ya? 'Sides, some of these plants where used as medicine at one point in time. Not quite what you are used to dealing with, but you where just complaining about how low we where on healing supplies. 'Fer example this tree..."

Holiday knocked his hand against the alder tree he was examining in emphasis

"...is supposed to help with the runs, if ya use it right. So I heard anyway, I'm more of a 'not starve to death' kinda guy then a 'medicine man'."

Holiday forges for food in the forest. 
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:56 pm »

Jason and Gianna walked slowly, cautiously through the woods. They peered at shrubs in the hope of finding berries, that sort of thing. The truth was that they had mostly relied on scavenging from civilization, so foraging out in the wild was not something they were overly familiar with.

"So, you know much about two thirty seven?" Jason asked, in a low voice. "I thought you were traveling with him before you met up with us - that right?"

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:16 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »

Jason and Gianna walked slowly, cautiously through the woods. They peered at shrubs in the hope of finding berries, that sort of thing. The truth was that they had mostly relied on scavenging from civilization, so foraging out in the wild was not something they were overly familiar with.

"So, you know much about two thirty seven?" Jason asked, in a low voice. "I thought you were traveling with him before you met up with us - that right?"
Gianna kept pace with Jason, as they walked.
"Well, I've traveled with him for, like, a month? He may seem a bit craggy and stone-cold, but he's somewhat warmer than he lets on."

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »

"Well, I've traveled with him for, like, a month? He may seem a bit craggy and stone-cold, but he's somewhat warmer than he lets on."

"Uh-huh?"
he replied.

They walked on in silence for a little while, glancing around the woods. Jason peered at a clump of fungi growing at the base of a tree, squatted next to it and poked it. It was orange, with little frills around it, and he wished he knew more about plants and mushrooms.

"Don't know if it's poison or not." Jason said. "Better leave it."

So they left it there. Then, after they had walked on a little further,

"I wonder why he wants us to call him by the number. Guess it's one of those things - Like Holiday's bandanna, it just reminds him who he is. Or Ebony's coat and sword, that sorta thing." He was half thinking out loud, half trying to get Gianna's impression of the rest of the group. They hadn't talked much, and he still didn't know what to think of her yet.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 08:36:25 am »

"Uh-huh?"
he replied.

They walked on in silence for a little while, glancing around the woods. Jason peered at a clump of fungi growing at the base of a tree, squatted next to it and poked it. It was orange, with little frills around it, and he wished he knew more about plants and mushrooms.

"Don't know if it's poison or not." Jason said. "Better leave it."

So they left it there. Then, after they had walked on a little further,

"I wonder why he wants us to call him by the number. Guess it's one of those things - Like Holiday's bandanna, it just reminds him who he is. Or Ebony's coat and sword, that sorta thing." He was half thinking out loud, half trying to get Gianna's impression of the rest of the group. They hadn't talked much, and he still didn't know what to think of her yet.
Gianna continued to walk with Jason.
"Well, I'm not really sure what to make of the others. They all seem....at least somewhat decent?"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 08:39:40 am »

((...Doc and Holiday...One letter off  :P))

Holiday nodded, starting to walk toward the nearest alder tree himself. He looks over it, searching for edible catkins. Wandering alone gets you good with finding food. At least one good thing about the wilderness retaking the land. They don't taste great, but keep you alive. The wood is supposed to be great for smoking fish, we might get a chance to try it out soon if we are lucky.

"Come on, Doc. We will be able to search faster in two man teams. Can't let the young ones have all the fun, can ya? 'Sides, some of these plants where used as medicine at one point in time. Not quite what you are used to dealing with, but you where just complaining about how low we where on healing supplies. 'Fer example this tree..."

Holiday knocked his hand against the alder tree he was examining in emphasis

"...is supposed to help with the runs, if ya use it right. So I heard anyway, I'm more of a 'not starve to death' kinda guy then a 'medicine man'."

Doc nods sagely

The bark also contains a substance called salicin, which has anti-inflammatory properties. It has a similar chemical make-up to aspirin, but there is not much of it so you would need to ingest a lot to actually gain any benefit. And this is not even considering the potential side effects..!

Doc stares into the distance for a moment, lost in thought.

I can tell you the properties of a great deal of plants but I do not know how to identify them, unfortunately. Nor how to process them, really... Doc sighs, then smiles wryly The drawbacks of modern medicine, eh Johnson? Lazy doctors that do not know how to get medicine the traditional way.

Forage for food with Holiday
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 09:49:42 am »

Survivor Time (Group A)
12:15

"I say me Harriet scout it out. And by say, I mean I'm going to go and scout and you guys can continue arguing."
273 says walking towards the town with purpose.
"Uh... ok?" Harriet says, following 273.

273 and Harriet set off down the cracked concrete road, quiet and low. Within a few moments, both groups lose sight of one another in the haze of green and gold.

273 should feel confident his choice was the right one-debate and planning are fine and all-but, eventually someone has to step forward and into the breach, as it were. Someone has to act, otherwise it's all for nothing.

273 gains +1 EXP (Decisive)

Harriet might feel far less confident in this decision-having been drafted, more or less without her consent of much discussion-but, it's true she has the best senses of the group. And, she has a selfless streak...maybe it's for the best.

The pair travels for nearly a mile before coming up on the first structure. The familiar triple logo on the light sign-the letters 'BBB' in fat, golden plastic-of what was once a popular fast food restaurant. The food was terrible for you, and it tasted great. Beef burgers with melted cheese, crunchy fish sandwiches, salty french fries and onion rings, cold sodas, milkshakes with cookies...neither of them can suppress a careful lick of the lips, even knowing they're not likely to ever have such meals again in their lives.

Crouching under the cover of the brush, they survey the area carefully. It's your basic place-a large eating area with glass windows that are surprisingly intact. A poor place to hide or defend, unless you were going to do a lot of work to fortify it. Plastic chairs and tables, and a counter inside, and behind it the kitchen-and storage rooms...a small parking lot and drive through circle the area. To the front, a few tables opened to the air, near what amounts to a kids play area-a plastic slide, a ladder, a little castle, a ballpit rapidly becoming a stagnant pond. A few cars are parked, that have been visibly stripped of tires, ornaments and probably most of their moving and unmoving parts-there actually is a corpse sitting in the front seat of one of the cars, but it probably actually is a corpse-Rotters are far too...animated...to stay still for any length of time.

There's no sign of life-or unlife. Everything is quiet, except for the birds.

Further down the road, 273 can make out more signs and just the first hints of the city they are approaching.

Read the Situation (+2)
Sixth Sense(?)=Harriet feels there might be something valuable here. She's not sure if there's any danger.
Keen Observer (10, Success)=Her more rational senses tell her this place is probably abandoned. For one, there's no litter-even Rotters drop pieces of themselves around, or pick things up and drop them for no apparent reason. She also carefully notices a long green vine creeping up and through the front door of the restaurant-it's been growing there for a long while, at least a few months. She can't believe anyone would reside here without using the front door, even if they were trying to hide.

Survivor Tutorial=When in a party, you will always use the highest ability modifier of any of your members for most survival rolls.

Name: Big Big Burgers
Type: Commercial (Fast Food Restaurant)
Survivor Tutorial=Buildings you can loot and explore are generally separated into Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Commercial, Government and Military-along with other types. Commercial Properties often contain a balance of supplies and useful items, but only as narrowly defined as the place itself. Assuming there's anything left...
Size: Medium (1 hour to search entirely once cleared)
State: Derelict (Medium chance of finding goods and supplies)
Occupancy: Apparently Abandoned

Jason forages in the woods as per Holiday's suggestion, looking for edibles; fruit, vegetables, dandelions if it comes to it, convenient kindling, etc.
Forage for food with Holiday
Gianna then sets off after Jason, to try and help forage for food.
"Wait for me, Jason! Wait!"
Survivor Time (Group B)
12:30

Jason, Holiday, Doc, and Gianna all set out to pillage the local forest, talking in loud voices and alerting animal life for a mile around. A small, dusky red Fox watches them with cunning eyes from the shelter of a trees roots, and they don't even realize it.

Read the Situation (+2)
(4)

About 30 minutes later, they've turned up a few bushes of colorful red and black berries near the forest edge-busy with bees (one of them stings Gianna on the arm), the shrubs growing wild and free-all entwined with a crumbling stone wall (Which Jason thinks might be a thousand years old), patches of thorny brambles (which prick Holiday's hands through his gloves and draw blood) and a nest of angry Fireants (which swarm and bite Doc's foot).

Ah, nature.

Doc recognizes them as a fruit called 'choke berries'-sort of hard to miss, they were in the 'Heart Happy' section of the supermarket he used to shop in...Doc has a brief memory flash of the supermarket, lines of raw steaks, and aisles of fresh bread...he recalls  it was pretty expensive, though he is not sure why that thought comes now. He remembers the taste, the one time he tried them-very sour and bitter, not appealing. They were supposed to be processed into jellies and shakes, but they're edible enough raw and apparently very healthy. If not very filling or tasty.

He reckons it's take at least 30 minutes with the four of them to pick, harvest and pack them all away (avoid the ants, bees, and brambles) and it might give at best two days of snacks for the group, if properly rationed...or they could just strip the branches and eat it all themselves, and get todays 'meal'. That would take far less time, but be less efficient. On the other hand, all the berries will be for them. Once properly nourished (of course), they could look for some real food.

Ebony watches all her friends leave, and leans up against the sign lazily. Perhaps she wishes she had something to smoke?

((Remember to bold your actions, btw. Otherwise I will assume you want to roleplay that, rather than have me roll it.))

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:06:51 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 10:07:28 am »

Gianna hears Doc's laying out of the choices, and instantly gets to work harvesting and packing the choke berries.
"Well, I'm gonna get started harvesting these berries. Time's really important, and I'd rather not use it talking. Besides, I'm gonna keep on doing this. You guys could just eat them now, whatever, if you really wanted to, but I just don't think that's smart."
While doing this, she tucked the remains what used to be her poof, but a lack of hairspray instead meant it looked somewhat like a bird's nest on her head, with the rest of her hair going down to her armpits, behind her, so it wouldn't get caught in the brambles. She also tries to avoid rubbing her bee sting, but it's getting quite itchy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:01:15 am by wipeout1024 »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 10:44:44 am »

Gianna hears Doc's laying out of the choices, and instantly gets to work harvesting and packing the choke berries.
"Well, I'm gonna get started harvesting these berries. Time's really important, and I'd rather not use it talking. Besides, I'm gonna keep on doing this. You guys could just eat them now, whatever, if you really wanted to, but I just don't think that's smart."
While doing this, she tucked the remains what used to be her poof, but a lack of hairspray instead meant it looked somewhat like a bird's nest on her head, with the rest of her hair going down to her armpits, behind her, so it wouldn't get caught in the brambles.

Help Gianna harvest them for everyone, taking some effort to avoid the ants and the bees and the brambles. Holding branches out of the way for the others, waving the bees away, that kind of thing.

We should save some berries for the other two. They may not taste very nice, but that is better than an empty stomach, and they are risking themselves by scouting for us.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8